Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

I guess I can tolerate the stories changing, I'm really just afraid they'll start changing the art to a more disneyesque style like X-Men Evolution or the new X cartoon. Which is okay and most people doing it know how to draw, but personally I hate it. US comics are just about the last thing that offer semi realistic drawings.

Back to Top profile | search

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

I see some pros and cons.

Pros
  1. I think it's unlikely that publishing will cease.  It should be clear even to an MBA that cutting publication would hurt long-term viability of the characters.
  2. It's entirely possible publication might be outsourced, though.  I don't think that's necessarily a problem, because...
  3. Disney will probably keep a little tighter editorial control, regarding franchise characters, deaths, dramatic changes in direction, and plugging mature content into a series that is intended for teens.  I consider that another good thing.
  4. Disney doesn't shy away from mature content; they just make sure that it is clearly branded as something other than Disney. 
  5. Marvel animation has been pretty bad; this will probably improve.
Cons:
  1. Disney is far more aggressive about trademarks.  This might be problematic.
  2. As I said, I doubt Disney intends to shut down publishing.  However, they won't keep it going forever if it doesn't work.  I certainly forsee a significant trimming of the books Marvel publishes.
  3. Disney might make higher demands on and reduce compensation for individual artists. 
  4. arvel films had a really promising start, but is still fragile; any tinkering from Disney might ruin things.
I bet we'll see a split of the Marvel line, a bit like Marvel attempted a while back, between an all-ages and an adult brand.  This time, probably with no crossover of characters.

I also have a hunch that if the only thing Marvel wanted were rights to the characters, for film and television, this would have simply been a licensing deal.  That they bought the company probably indicates they are after Marvel's infrastructure and talent.  We can look to DC's purchase by WB, for comparison, though.  Disney isn't WB, but that situation is the closest analogue out there; and the consequences were less severe than people feared.

These are just my thoughts, from a Marketing Weasel's point of view.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

Like most of you I am very interested in what happens. I can imagine and wish for lots of changes I think are good, but if wishing is the point I would just wish for the last 20ish years to be completely different. Why waste a wish when I can just wait and see.

Of course, the worst thing I can think of would be if commissions are affected before I can save enough money to get something truely beautiful from JB.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
I'd take a Disney animated Fantastic Four movie 50 times over at this point.

You'll regret this when all 4 break out into an Elton John / Celine Dion musical number.

QUOTE:
I'm hoping for the best. Hasn't Marvel hit rock bottom already? :/

They have nearly all the best artists!! What will happen to the art? u__n

Edited by Martin Redmond on 31 August 2009 at 2:59pm

F. Ron Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

Disney bought ABC a few years back. I really don't see how that changed anything at the network in regard to content. LOST, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy and Dancing With The Stars are as much Disney shows as "Inglorious Basterds" is a Disney Movie. Spider-Man will still be Spider-Man and Marvel will still be Marvel --for all the right and wrong reasons. The only thing that's changed are the promotional platforms and access to capital and resources. Stings being strings will also be attached.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

If Disney does shut down the publishing arm of Marvel, then Disney itself might as well going out of business, as far as I am concerned.

But, if I had the money, I think I'd be ordering a commission of Mickey Mouse beating up Wolverine from someone right about now.....

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 7  

Comic books should be like bubble gum. Bubble gum is made primarily for kids. We all know this. Yet that fact doesn't stop anyone of any age who enjoys chewing bubble gum to enjoy it. Today's comics are like gin and tonic flavored bubble gum. Most kids won't like it. Most adults won't like it either but the few that do like it probably REALLY like it and cling to it and fight for their right to have it until of course something else comes along. Thus the market shrinks and gin and tonic flavored bubble gum struggles in the marketplace. Today's comics are like gin and tonic flavored bubble gum. If Disney can make Marvel like bubble gum (again) I will be happy. Better a 10 year old kid finds something new and amazing in a Spider-Man comic than me. Ill be glad for both of us.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

From cnn.com:

But one area where Marvel represents a risk for Disney is that thecompany has tread carefully around the burgeoning super hero genrebecause of concerns of how action -- read violent -- fare might muddythe Disney brand. (In comics, Marvel publishes some fairly adult fare.)

Internally,Iger says he began to think of Marvel stories using "real bullets",while Disney uses "fake bullets." His team became convinced that whilethere are obvious ways in which the Marvel Universe will spill intoDisney's, the brands are going to remain distinct.

"Noteverything we do has to be Disney-branded, although that's thepriority." And while it will make sense to have Spider-man join theranks of Mickey and Goofy among "walk around characters" at its themeparks, Iger noted, "you wouldn't have the Punisher character walkingaround one of your parks." At the same time, he added: "This is notgoing to be about Disney sanitizing Marvel in any way."To top of page

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

Back in the 90s, when Marvel stock was pennies a share, I often wondered why Time Warner never scooped up Marvel. The only reason I could think of at the time was possible anti-trust issues...

I still think TW and Marvel would have been a better fit than Disney and Marvel...

It's Disney's attempt to put the final nail in the coffin of Howard the Duck...

---------

As far as I know, Steve Jobs is still the largest single Disney shareholder. I don't think it's a stretch to think that Pixar-animated Marvel U. films will be in the pipeline soon...

Does anyone know if Jobs is a comic book fan/reader/collector?

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Disney has done little to keep its own once-famous characters, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, before the public in movies and comics. Why would they treat Marvel characters any better?

To be remembered, Disney initially allowed Carl Barks to do oil paintings of the Disney Duck characters, but eventually told him to knock it off. Whether they can do so with the flood of people doing commissions of Marvel characters is another question, but a letter from a Disney lawyer threatening to take one's home and bank account has a way of concentrating the mind mightily.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

Does anyone know if Jobs is a comic book fan/reader/collector?

••

I've wondered about him, and Bill Gates. I think if they were fans, one of them would have bought Marvel long ago.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

Best line of the day:

"Face it, Tigger, you just hit the jackpot."

(Thanks to Howard Mackie for passing along that one!)

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version