Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

William Lukash wrote:
...I can't see Marvel Comics going away, simply for the reason that comics are marketing for toys, movies, and other brand image junk...

Disney can use other more profitable means to market the other merchandise. An ad on the Disney Channel will be seen by millions more than those that will read the comic book.

If you don't think comics can disappear, three words: BIG LITTLE BOOKS.

John Byrne wrote:

I wonder if Disney is really aware of what percentage of those "boys" are on the (very) high side of 30!...

That's the comics readers, though. The films and cartoons and toys do appeal to the young boys out there. If Disney was only buying the publishing rights to the Marvel characters, I'd say that they might be making a mistake if it were to attract a young male demographic. But, Disney is buying the characters entirely, so I think that it is a smart move in that regard.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

Marvel cartoons would work well on Disney's XD channel.  I would love to see Disney bring Marvel comics back to a younger readership.

Wouldn't it be great if Nathan could poke his nose around Marvel.  I've said it before, Nathan is livin' the dream!

Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

As Anthony pointed out, with actual recent figures, Marvel's publishing arm is currently immensely profitable.  Why on Earth would Disney shut down something that is immensely profitable? 

Now, if it ever becomes unprofitable, I have no doubt that Disney will cut it in a heartbeat, but an independent Marvel would shut its doors if it became unprofitable, too.

Tim Gillespie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

I wonder when Marvel's contract with Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure theme park runs out?  Universal has a much anticipated Harry Potter attraction opening next year that will more than likely be a major competitor to Disney World. Taking the Marvel theme park franchise may have played into Disney's motivation for buying the company.

Does this mean Howard the Duck can go pant-less again?

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Disney XD already shows a ton of Marvel related cartoons.  I think the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, X-Men, Silver Surfer, and the Hulk are all on every week.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

In the short term, I don't think there'll be any change in Marvel's publishing plan.  Pixar has managed to remain fairly autonomous under Disney's ownership, and I don't see Disney interfering much with Marvel right off the bat.

In the long run, this could be a great thing.  More all-ages comics from Marvel, more all-ages comics from their competition, better comics distribution...  I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Pedro Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm hoping for the best. Hasn't Marvel hit rock bottom already? :/
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 8  

I wonder if, once Disney has a look at the produce, we might now see the comics we remember start to make a come back. As it stands, Marvel isn't exactly family orientated.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

Let's be clear about a few things -

1) We know nothing.  Stop panicing.

2) Disney owns a number of companies that are not aimed at children - Miramax is a Disney company, for example.  Disney money paid for most of Quinten  Tarantino's and Kevin Smith's films. 

3) I'm concerned about the talk of "all-ages" comics - it gets bandied about a lot here, but frequently mis-used.  It doesn't mean "kiddie books", but rather books that can be enjoyed by any age - they may have adultish content, but are still acceptable for kids to read.   Let's just be clear on that one.   The reason that John Byrne's Fantastic Four is so great is that it has all sorts of levels - as he noted recently, he had to play them cleverly so that younger fans could read the book yet the adults reading it could also enjoy the extra depth of the stories. 

John Byrne GETS all-ages.  I don't think too many other people, fans or pros, do.  At least, not based on the work being published, and what I read on message boards.   It sure as hell doesn't mean brainless drivel aimed at children. 

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

I couldn't care less about Marvel's publishing, since I don't see guys like Colan or Byrne or Sal Buscema benefitting from or being affected by Marvel's comics ceasing to be.

I'd take a Disney animated Fantastic Four movie 50 times over at this point.

If someone could get DC Comics away from Warner Bros, that'd be worthwhile. Like maybe Toyota?

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'll be interested in seeing how this all boils out.

My hope is that it marks the return of Marvel, but we'll just have to see.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

I actually agree with Chad on this one. I would love to see a Marvel animated movie on par with the stuff Disney puts out. Other than that, I couldn't care less. 

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version