Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

I sometimes justify my distaste the current atmosphere of the comic industry as my just having outgrown the medium. But With the comic industry on whole should be so vast that it should be impossible to outgrow it. If tastes change there should be something else to move onto. But that doesn't really seem the case. I feel like i've been robbed of a safe haven. An unguilty pleasure is no longer there. I can only visit old fantasy worlds there will not be any new ones.
Back to Top profile | search

David Suiter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

Andrew - Hank Pym is written with some weird tendencies that would make you think they are trying to just slam him back into the wife beater character that Marvel was portraying him as. But to me it seems that this is just part of their trying to make him different. He is dealing with the loss of the love of his life and he is returning from years of torture by the Skrulls who made a mockery of his name. Hank was never too stable dating back to the very beginning (original Goliath and Yellowjacket stories). But I think the true hero is coming out in Slott's work. He is very quirky and strange at times especially his relationship with Jocasta. I think Slott is restoring the hero to the character and not so much continuing a line of bad interpretations. He is flawed for sure but still a good hero and Avenger.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

How many times has Hank been shown striking Janet?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

I feel like I'm the only one here that has never read Maxim.

I love their photos - how can you resist some of the stars they have gotten into bikinis? But I had a friend tell me it was also well written and hilarious, so I tried reading it. The writing is not for me and the humor misses the mark - the play the "guy-pig" angle too hard. "The Man Show" did that so well and something like Maxim pales in comparison.

And I guess I am not in line with the editorial. This article is better than what I have seen before - I'm a sucker for oral histories and they have some interesting insight from some amazingly talented and articulate artists. But this article also shows that oral histories can be tricky to compile correctly. The best oral history I've seen is Tom Shales and James Millers' "Live From New York" about the history of Saturday Night Live - you read something like that and it flows so well and tells the story so effectively that the technique is almost invisible.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

David--

I'd been reading Mighty Avengers regularly up until the two-part confrontation with the Fantastic Four, and just didn't like the direction Slott went with Pym.  He was doing a really good job of capturing the "quirky genius" character up until then, and it looked like Marvel was finally willing to move on from the "Hank Pym's actually a mentally unstable jerk" characterization, but it didn't strike the right balance for me.

And what's really annoying about the "flawed Hank Pym" scenario is that Steve Englehart did his part to redeem the character, then John Byrne kept showing him in a heroic light, then he went off the rails during The Crossing to the point that Kurt Busiek had to re-redeem him, then Geoff Johns made him crazy again, then no one could write the character without referring to him as a wife-beater, then Mark Millar wrote him as a complete jerk (with homicidal tendencies) in The Ultimates... 

It gets tiresome when these characters have to be so completely defined by stories that were only done in the first place so that Marvel's characters could be more "real" and "relevant."  Like Tony Stark's alcoholism, which he's recovered from and relapsed into a half-dozen times.  It's okay to write Hank Pym as quirky, and driven, and a genius working on some level the rest of us couldn't possibly comprehend, but the only way to make him stop acting like a mentally-unstable weirdo is to stop writing him that way.

That's a long-winded way of saying, "I supported Mighty Avengers until I didn't."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

Someone should really write an open letter addressing these points to Quesada- i don't think he's ever been put in a 'real corner' to defend thesequestionable situations which are allowed in Marvel Comics with an "A" rating. He needs to be reminded of what Marvel used to represent.

-C!

Charles, people have asked Quesada similar questions in regards to the inappropriate language (and graphic violence and strong sexual innuendos) that has been appearing in Marvel comics since Quesada became EIC. Quesada's response to these complaints has been the ignorant and often quoted "8 year olds have never read comics" and "the 8 year old reader is a myth". He has also gone on record as saying that the DARK PHOENIX SAGA was not for/aimed at kids (I guess he didn't see the comics code seal on those issues).

As for the language issue, he has said that this type of language is very common today and that kids today hear and use that type of language all the time. Because, you know, kids 30 to 70+ years ago never heard cuss words freequently spoken or shouted by their relatives and friends.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

"8 year olds have never read comics"

Ever.

Rob Drew
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 8  

If the Hank Pym in question has a sparse goatee and is wearing his pants four inches lower than his undies, then by all means he should be calling Reed "Bitch" this is what boys call each other to sound tough, but MEN don't call other men "Bitch" . Personally I'd be embarrassed to be caught reading crap like this.

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

Just read all 5 pages and here's what stuck. Jan's dead?

What happened? I mean, other than the steady degradation of the industry. Why'd they kill off Jan?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

Rob wrote:
If the Hank Pym in question has a sparse goatee and is wearing hispants four inches lower than his undies, then by all means he should becalling Reed "Bitch" this is what boys call each other to sound tough,but MEN don't call other men "Bitch".

He's the goddamn Ant-Man.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 25 August 2009 at 8:29pm

Rob Drew
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

You got it, Paulo.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

Michael - Jan was the "big death" in Secret Invasion.  It has to happen in all crossovers now.  It isn't a universe spanning crossover until there is a death!

Edited by Jason Mark Hickok on 25 August 2009 at 8:55pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version