Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

Joe Hollon wrote:...(quoting Joe Quesada from the Maxim article) ...Marvel was spending too much time writing love letters to the past. Nostalgia can put you out of business becauseyou’re only appealing to a dying fan base...

Somewhat ironic in that Marvel under Quesada does more mucking around and riffing on past history than any other time at Marvel. Sure, I wouldn't call what the current regime does "love letters," but the company's writers for the most part won't stop messing with the old history and ripping off the old ideas instead of creating truly original new adventures. _____________________________________________

I completely agree Matt.

Marvel under Quesada has been more about revisiting past stories, then any other time in the company's history. the only difference is that Quesada's "Marvel" is more about retconning past stories in order to make the books and characters fit in with their so called "more mature" and "real world" view of superheroes (and the MU in general). Their stories do nothing more then crap all over the characters.

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

I feel like I'm the only one here that has never read Maxim.

You're not alone Arc, I've also never read an issue of Maxim. At most, I flipped through at least one issue to check out the pretty girls.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 25 August 2009 at 5:44pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

<<<Maddy is back, but also as a villain. She's the leader of the Sisterhood (of Evil Mutants). There are hints that Jean's return may be in the offing at some point in the near future.>>>

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Jean's return would be enough to get me to pay attention to the X-books again. After what Morrison did to her, I walked away and haven't really looked back since.

Or you could read X-Men Forever, which IMO, is a heck of a lot better then the three core X-Men books.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 25 August 2009 at 5:44pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

Not to speak for Glenn, but X-MEN FOREVER has absolutely no appeal for me.  Interesting experiment taking the book back to a time when you left it, but that group of X-Men is terribly uninteresting to me to say the least.  Couple that with my inability to get beyond the contrived dialog of Chris Claremont anymore, and even this somewhat noble experiment eludes this former die-hard X-Men fan.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

I mean, seriously, what hero would ever say that to Reed Richards? What kind of crap happening in context would have that line make any sense? Oh, right. Superheroes pitted against one another in some insane ideological battle that lasts years and issues too numerous to count and ultimately ends up with Captain America dead.

So sad.

What I find more troubling about the "It's on bitch" line, is that it was allowed in a book with an "A" rating. Marvel books that carry an "A" rating are supposed to be suitable for ages 8 and up. Also, this is not the first time that questionable language has been allowed in Marvel comics with an "A" rating. Words like "bastard" and "ass" (the meaning of the word that refers to a person's butt) have appeared a few times in some A rated books.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 25 August 2009 at 5:46pm

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

Perhaps the 'A' stands for 'ass.'

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

Someone should really write an open letter addressing these points to Quesada- i don't think he's ever been put in a 'real corner' to defend thesequestionable situations which are allowed in Marvel Comics with an "A" rating. He needs to be reminded of what Marvel used to represent.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

I feel like I'm the only one here that has never read Maxim.

••

A friend who meant well got me a subscription for my birthday, about 10 years ago. I was frankly embarrassed to have the thing land in my mailbox every month, so I canceled the subscription, but did not tell my friend. Unfortunately, that meant when the subscription expired he re-upped for me, and then I had to tell him.

I have often described MAXIM as WIZARD trying to be PLAYBOY. Last time I looked, tho, it seemed like PLAYBOY was trying to be MAXIM.

David Suiter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

Both X-Men Forever and Mighty Avengers are excellent books. I would hope people would find a way to read at least an issue or two of each before they judge them so harshly.

Chris Claremont has a new style that I am really enjoying in X-Men Forever. The overdone prose that has been the Claremont norm is toned down and we get to see some genuine love for some great X-Characters. The only complaint I have about this book is the "Things to come" page at the end of each issue that spoils the ongoing mysteries.

Dan Slott is an excellent writer and is really doing a great job with his team of Avengers. As Pym says in the book they are the "Real" Avengers as they are the only team to feature a founding member. They consist of both registered and non-registered heroes. The Super Hero Registration Act is still in some stories but it is SO minor. The Mighty Team also has a cool headquarters in Pym's pocket universe with doors all over the globe including the original Avengers Mansion. The Mighty Avengers vs. the Fantastic Four two-parter was a great old-fashioned Marvel story where the heroes battle over a misunderstanding and then come together for a satifying resolution. The current storyline is excellent. And the current characterization on Hank Pym is very deep showing his heroic side as he is the best leader for the time and there are a lot of quirks to the character befitting a scientist with some past instability. There are so many layers to him that are very exciting.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

What David said re: Mighty Avengers.  I haven't tried X-Men Forever.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 11  

Like I said, there was a lot to like about Mighty Avengers, but there's only so much you can dump on Hank Pym before he goes from "well rounded" back to "gibbering lunatic."

I am enjoying X-Men Forever, for the most part.  The roster of artists is solid, the scripting feels like the X-Men I grew up reading, and I'm reasonably sure that the story elements that I'm not digging (like Jean Grey being really hung up on Wolverine, despite the limited contact that they've had in the comics) are going to be explained sometime in the next 17 years.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Loyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

This is why I love this forum, now I know to avoid this article if ever it comes up in a Google search.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version