Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

Also, adding that Dan Slott has only been on the book since issues #21 so he is I feel just getting his legs going on the title.  Bendis wrote a majority of the stories that were seen in the title. 

Slott has been averaging 2-3 issues a story arc since he took over.  He was kind of dealt a crappy hand with that SI thing and Dark Reign.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

Speaking of Secret Invasion, that's an idea that's been explored lots of times before; i.e. a "love letter to the past."
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

<<<Maddy is back, but also as a villain. She's the leader of the Sisterhood (of Evil Mutants). There are hints that Jean's return may be in the offing at some point in the near future.>>>

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Jean's return would be enough to get me to pay attention to the X-books again. After what Morrison did to her, I walked away and haven't really looked back since.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jason Mark Hickok wrote:
Having a registered and an un-registered team of Avengers in conflict with each other could have worked well. 

Hating the entire "registered" and "non registered" superhuman storyline that took over more than a couple of years at Marvel and really destroyed my love of Iron Man/Tony Stark, I can't agree.  I don't pay to see my superheroes, beacons of a world where they're supposed be looked up to, fighting at each other's throats for anything longer than an issue or two crossover and even then, they realize they've been pitted against each other, or mind controlled, or something and team up to fight a common foe.  This whole notion of superheroes of Avengers caliber in constant ideological conflict with one another is absurd and nothing I want to read about.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

"Registered" superheroes are contrary to the very concept. These are, after all, vigilantes -- but vigilantes who are on OUR SIDE. They don't NEED to be "registered" because these are the watchmen who don't need watching.

And I use that reference pointedly. This nonsense has become the vogue since Alan Moore force fed it to us in WATCHMEN -- Frank Miller was the first to fall victim, halfway thru DKR -- and it has become the Cool Idea that no one seems able to shake. Like mutants were the Cool Idea for so long at Marvel. Like heroes BEHAVING like heroes was the Cool Idea before that.

See where we've gone wrong? In case you need another clue: "It's on, bitch."

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

I mean, seriously, what hero would ever say that to Reed Richards?  What kind of crap happening in context would have that line make any sense?  Oh, right.  Superheroes pitted against one another in some insane ideological battle that lasts years and issues too numerous to count and ultimately ends up with Captain America dead. 

So sad.

Jim Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
This nonsense has become the vogue since Alan Moore force fed it to us in WATCHMEN

Why, yes, because Moore actually pressured people into buying copies of Watchmen under some kind of duress?

No, I'm sorry, I can't let that pass unchallenged ... Watchmen sold by the boatload because he was trying something that hadn't been seen in the mainstream superhero genre, a determined effort to bring a wider literary sensibility to a superhero story.

And the fact that it's still in vogue some 21 years later? It's not like Moore has spent the following two decades trying to do nothing but replicate Watchmen ... it depresses Moore as much as anyone that the lack of editorial imagination at just about every major publisher keeps churning out grim, gritty, deconstructed superheroes.

I do, however, agree wholeheartedly that if people stopped buying this sub-Watchmen dross, or simply favoured books with a little less gloom and doom, then the market would hopefully respond.

Unfortunately, it would seem that the Public wants what the Public gets, as the Jam so astutely observed.

Cheers

Jim

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

That Hank Pym line bugged me, too, and I dropped the book once that storyline wrapped up.  I was pretty hopeful for the series when Dan Slott took over the writing chores, since he started off by making Hank Pym a real hero again.  Pym was confident, brilliant, and a real leader for the first time in ages--and within a few months, he was back to being the mentally-unstable jerk he'd been off and on since Jim Shooter decided to turn him into an insecure, wife-beating creep.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

They went from "love letters" trying to attract readers of all ages, to "pandering" to the smallest base of comics readers.

My fake quote would fit in nicely.

Paul, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 25 August 2009 at 5:43pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

The Watchmen was in itself a good story however it spawned a really bad trend in comics.

Jani Evinen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

The Watchmen was in itself a good story however it spawned a really bad trend in comics.
************************************************************ ***********************

I agree with this. I really like Watchmen and I also really like The Dark Knight Returns(and re-read them every few years), but I don't want that on a monthly basis and I definetly don't think that the companies should be doing stuff like that regulary with their monthly books.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:

Jean's return would be enough to get me to pay attention to the X-books again. After what Morrison did to her, I walked away and haven't really looked back since.

Don't t know about Jean, but anyone who thinks Emma Frost is becoming a villain again, I have several bridges you might be interested in.    I don't need to read the books to know they're not turning her back into a villain.  The lead X woman for how many years, appearing in how many books, turning bad again?

Didn't say she wouldn't do anything questionable, but that isn't necessarily the same thing.  Cyclops has his own hit squad.  Have they made him a villain?  Now, they've made him into someone I could never respect again, but I haven't seem him referred to as a villain anywhere.

Emma Frost isn't going anywhere.  Jean?  Someday.
Not sure when, would have never thought it would have lasted this long back in 2004, but someday someone will bring her back.

I agree with Steve's point about Quesada and company missing the point of Lee and Kirby's early Marvel.  Quesdada and Bendis used to  invoke their names all the time.  We're only doing what Stan and Jack used to do.    I remember Millar doing it with Civil War's Reed Richards.  It used to piss me off because that's not how Lee and Kirby flawed their heroes. 

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version