Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

The best quote, of course, is from Len Wein:

Len Wein: I have not seen a dime off of any Marvelstuff, nor do I have a credit on the Wolverine film. Hugh Jackman is alovely man, and at the premiere he told the audience that he owed hiscareer to me and had me take a bow. It was very gratifying and very nice. I would have preferred a check.
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

That's a mantra I've been hearing since the departure of Jim Shooter. Seems to me like the spiral has only been downwards. And as long as the bean counters are the ones who are really in charge -- which began in Shooter's day and has only grown more with every passing year -- I cannot see that course ever reversing itself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
As sad as it maybe to admit. I believe you are right J.B.

I know I can take shelter in the back issue bins in those comics from yesterday. But then I feel sorry for the kids of today and tomorrow. The ones who grow up on whats passes for comics today. Kids who grow up on the art of guys like Liefeld, Larsen, Jim Lee, Silvestri Todd Mcfarlane etc and their clones. I'm not knocking those guys but the eventual copycats that followed and the poor kids who don't know better what do they have to learn from. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

Len Wein: I have not seen a dime off of any Marvelstuff, nor do I have a credit on the Wolverine film. Hugh Jackman is alovely man, and at the premiere he told the audience that he owed hiscareer to me and had me take a bow. It was very gratifying and very nice. I would have preferred a check.

••

I maybe a trifle biased, but I'm inclined to think that Hugh Jackman owes his career to the artist who, upon hearing Chris Claremont's declaration of intent to write Wolverine out of UNCANNY X-MEN, said "There's no way I am going to let you write out the only Canadian!"

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think Huge Jackman also owes a debt of gratitude to Dougray Scott as well. Had he not turned down X-men to do Mission Impossible 2  Jackman wouldn't be where he is today either.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
I haven't read any Avengers book in years because, well, they were just boring, starred characters that were unrecognizable to me, featured Spider-Man and Wolverine as star players on the roster, and every story took at least six issues to tell often spread out over several titles.  Too much work for a book that I used to really enjoy but now find extremely tiresome.

Matt, I know this is OT but, you might want to give Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers a try.  It, to me, feels much like the Avengers I grew up on.  Also he varies the length of each storyline appropriately (three parters, two parters, etc.).

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

I wonder if John Romita gets any recognition for the creation of Wolverine.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

Adam Hutchinson wrote:
Matt, I know this is OT but, you might want to give Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers a try.  It, to me, feels much like the Avengers I grew up on.  Also he varies the length of each storyline appropriately (three parters, two parters, etc.).

Who's on the team?  A huge reason why I dropped AVENGERS was because Spider-Man and Wolverine were members.  Not just for an issue or two, but they've been on the team for years now.  Spider-Man isn't a team player except on specific and limited occasions and Wolverine is on too damn many of them!

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

Matt - MIGHTY AVENGERS has Hank Pym, USAgent, Hercules, Jocasta, Quicksilver, Vision, and the Scarlet Witch.  I believe there are a couple others in there but those are the ones jumping into my brain.

It definitely is more of a what I consider a "real" Avengers team.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

Matt - just off the top of my head (and I'm probably missing somebody) it includes Henry Pym, Quicksilver, Hercules, Jocasta, USAgent, the Vision and Stature.

I've seen complaints that the characters are "B-List" but any book with Herc, Pietro and Pym is okay by me!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

Oh yes, and it has Jarvis!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yeah I forgot about stature.  I think Amadeus Cho is a memeber as well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

Is Ares still an Avenger?

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version