Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 1  

Brian K. Vaughan (Lost writer, 2007–2009; cocreator of Runaways and the Hood): If you’re an awkward nerd, it’s a slam dunk to read about Peter Parker, who is an awkward nerd with money problems and girl problems, but gets to live this other life as a wisecracking hero.

Doesn't seem right to me. Peter Parker wasn't an "awkward nerd" -- he was a brilliant teenager far more into science than socializing with his peers. True he wasn't a star athlete and the BMOC type, but he wasn't shy and retiring and geeky; instead he was rather haughty and stand-offish. How he became Spider-Man actually cut him down a notch or twelve. True he had money trouble, but his only girl trouble was having to beat them off with a stick. No wonder Flash disliked him so!

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 2  

In his first appearance, he was rather awkward. The "ladies man" aspect came not too long after, though.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 3  

Peter fell victim to an effect not uncommon in comics, and at early Marvel in particular. Altho Stan and the gang set out to create heroes who were "down to earth" and cut more from the "everyman" cloth, it did not take long for them all to be ratcheted up more than a few notches. Peter lost his glasses and became handsome and more successful with the ladies. Reed and Johnny got muscular. Even Bruce Banner hunked out.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 4  

Well, I admit that by one dictionary definition Peter fits the bill of a nerd. The other denotation, though, namely: "a foolish, inept, or unattractive person," that just isn't him. I don't think Lee-Ditko meant him to be taken as such, even from the outset. But I could be completely wrong.

His glasses were key, for sure.

Brian Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 5  

That's interesting... Is there a hero who started off as a "down to earth everyman" and is still that way today?  The Thing perhaps?  Villains need not apply!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 6  

What does that mean for Scott Summers? Is Jean (or Madelyne Pryor)coming back into the picture? (I haven't been following the X-bookslately.)

--------------------------------------------------

Maddy is back, but also as a villain.  She's the leader of the Sisterhood (of Evil Mutants).  There are hints that Jean's return may be in the offing at some point in the near future.

The other thing I like about Dark Reign (if this turns out to be the case as their hinting at) will be if they follow through and have a returned Steve Rogers, Thor, and Iron Man team up to get rid Osborne and set the Marvel U straight again.  (Thereby implying that it was their absence at the core of the MU that made things go awry in the first place.)

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 7  

Altho Stan and the gang set out to create heroes who were "down to earth" and cut more from the "everyman" cloth

------------------------------------------------------

I think a lot of writers use this as an excuse to treat the Marvel characters with a lot more disrespect than DC characters.  There's this idea that Stan's intent means that Marvel characters should be more 'realistic', meaning grim and gritty sexual deviants, for the most part.

I think you can see this pretty clearly when you compare, say, Morrison's X-Men to his JLA, or Millar's run on Superman (particularly the Adventures title) to anything he's written for Marvel.

Its as if they think that DC's characters are cultural icons, so they have to be treated as such, but since Marvel characters are 'just regular guys and gals like you and me', they can engage in whatever behavior you and I might engage in (or fantasize about engaging in) and its okay.

They sorta missed Stan and the Gang's point, which was about the heroism which is to be found in regular, everyday people.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 8  

That's interesting... Is there a hero who started off as a "down to earth everyman" and is still that way today? The Thing perhaps? Villains need not apply!

••

The Thing went from an early established maximum lifting power of 5 tons to the 100 Ton Class. And while he picked up more "dese and dose" along the way -- and a lot fewer uses of "Bah!" -- I don't think he qualifies as an "everyman".

Arguably, as a college football hero, fighter pilot ace and test pilot, he was out of that camp before we ever met him!

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 9  

If the Marvel properties are so tacky, why did Joe Quesada abandon his own properties so fast? There's alot of bullshiters in comics who just need to come out of the closet and admit they're flamboyant merrily marching society super hero lovers.

QUOTE:
I feel like I'm the only one here that has never read Maxim.

I have the first issue. :} I wonder if it's worth anything....

QUOTE:
I think a lot of writers use this as an excuse to treat the Marvel characters with a lot more disrespect than DC characters.

Well I disagree,  DC books are unreadable to me. Marvel still is at least okay or good.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 25 August 2009 at 12:09pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

Steve De Young wrote:
The other thing I like about Dark Reign (if this turns out to be the case as their hinting at) will be if they follow through and have a returned Steve Rogers, Thor, and Iron Man team up to get rid Osborne and set the Marvel U straight again.  (Thereby implying that it was their absence at the core of the MU that made things go awry in the first place.)

Fill me in.  I get Cap and Thor being gone, but when was Tony Stark absent?  Wasn't he the one that spearheaded one faction of heroes to get the dissenters to register?  Wasn't he, in fact, a huge part of the problem and why the MU, as written, has gone awry?  I haven't read any Avengers book in years because, well, they were just boring, starred characters that were unrecognizable to me, featured Spider-Man and Wolverine as star players on the roster, and every story took at least six issues to tell often spread out over several titles.  Too much work for a book that I used to really enjoy but now find extremely tiresome.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

This thread and that article serve as a remind to myself of how I wait for the eventual day when Joe Quesada is no longer EIC. Thou i'm aware that the next person maybe just as bad if not worse. I hold onto hope that the next EIC can do something to make Marvel comics more like the Marvel I use to love.

At this point I think it's so bad that to fix things no storyline is even needed or could fix things. Marvel just needs to say our books have been shit so we are just starting back at a point where each title was still true to the core of what it was suppose to be. Continuity be damn. WE are going to do fun stories good stories that down play down to the lowest common dominator.Nor are we going take it to the Ultima of realism either. Comics for everyone.
The Comics code may have been a blight on the industry however from the 90's to present day thats exactly what Marvel needed. Someone to regulate alot of the crap they've been doing.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

This thread and that article serve as a remind to myself of how I wait for the eventual day when Joe Quesada is no longer EIC. Thou i'm aware that the next person maybe just as bad if not worse. I hold onto hope that the next EIC can do something to make Marvel comics more like the Marvel I use to love.

••

That's a mantra I've been hearing since the departure of Jim Shooter. Seems to me like the spiral has only been downwards. And as long as the bean counters are the ones who are really in charge -- which began in Shooter's day and has only grown more with every passing year -- I cannot see that course ever reversing itself.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version