Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1  

I thought there was no nudity in Maxim? Which is why I've always wondered why anyone that was over 18 ever bothered buying it, since instead of paying to be teased, they could just go to one rack higher at the newsstand and pick up Playboy or whatever and pay the same price for actual nudity.

••

MAXIM, despite its lack of actual nudity, has managed to sell itself as much more cool and hip than PLAYBOY. Which is sort of ironic, since Hefner basically sold PLAYBOY as being more cool and hip than ESQUIRE.

Back to Top profile | search

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

Marxim sounds like a communist newsletter.

Also, the Spider-Marriage thing....

Anyone remember that episode of Scrubs where Ted informed Dr. Cox and Jordan that the papers never went through properly and they were still married?

Why couldn't that have been done? Peter and MJ find out there was a mistake, they were never properly married, and they break up?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

Why would they break up just because the papers were filed incorrectly?  Doesn't make much sense to me.

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

Well, they'd talk about ending their marriage, I dunno, who cares how it happens, then while trying to do, they'd find out they were never really married. Or maybe they found out before they had problems somehow, and that made it easier for them to split when the issue came up.

How many times did we see them fight about him being Spider-Man and how worried she got anyway?

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

Point is, the marriage was the problem. Not why they break up or this and that. Clones, time travel, deals with the devil, and other non "street-level" things were all to undo the marriage itself.

Write the story however you want around the basic concept that some X's got signed improperly or there was a typo on the marriage licensee or the mail truck exploded.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

For me, the how is as important as the mistake of getting them married in the first place.  Having them break up over misfiled marriage papers means that they still thought they were married.  They would have lived as a married couple for years. Divorce wouldn't be an option.  That just makes Peter seem older. Any other way than a total wipe out of the marriage wherein Peter and MJ were never married in the first place isn't satisfactory to me.  Yes, the deal with Mephisto was bad storytelling, but at least the marriage never happened. 

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's the same thing though. They lived together, but weren't married. It's mentioned only in the "reverse story" itself, but from then on out, she's his "ex-girlfriend".

Kinda moot though, I'm enjoying the heck outta Brand New Day, but I think it would've been better to do than Mephisto.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

How about:  Mary Jane's been a skrull since Peter's sophomore year of college.  The real MJ comes back during Secret Invasion, and is shocked to find out that Gwen Stacy is dead and that a Skrull impostor married Peter.  J. Jonah Jameson and a few other newspaper publishers and reporters were also Skrulls, and Peter Parker gets to pretend that a Skrull pretending to be him unmasked himself during Civil War.

Readers complain for a few months, but unmarried Peter Parker has a secret identity again, the revelation during Civil War is forgotten, and MJ moves to Florida with her Aunt Anna for a few years to try and sort her life out.  Peter's upset about the whole thing, but he and the Human Torch spend an issue talking about how much it stinks when the Skrulls trick you into thinking you were married when you really weren't.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

I hate the Mephisto deal and the rewriting more than the marriage. It destroys the character completely, imo. As do all the killing of May, the clones, the unmasking, the Avenging, the spider-totem, Gwen-Norman kids etc. Peter being married to MJ  is something that never bothered this 15 year old fan. Especially when it was endorved by both Romita and Lee.
I can't get myself to read any story after said deal because I don't like the ground it is set upon, no matter how good they are.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

I just wanna read about Spider-Man fighting badguys. Origin the way it's always been. All or most of supporting cast alive and active. Honestly, that's it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

Once upon a time, the folk up at DC took a look at one of the comicbooks they were producing. It was titled SUPERBOY, and its subtitle identified it as "The Adventures of Superman When He Was A Boy".

What they saw, when they looked at this comic series, was that altho Superman himself had kept pace with the changing times, Superboy had stayed in the imaginary period he'd been in when the character was introduced, with everybody wearing 1940s fashions while driving 1920s cars.

So DC issued an editorial edict. They announced on the splash page of their latest issue that from that point on, Superboy would be set about a decade behind Superman, and he would always be about a decade behind Superman. And so it was.

I wish the people in charge at Marvel and DC today had the stones to make such a bold yet simple choice, and "fix" things without resorting to convoluted storylines to do so.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm with Thanos. I was 7 (SEVEN JOE QUESADA! I was a KID READING COMICS!) when Spider-Man married MJ - and I loved him just the same until I was told Peter was the clone.

Yes, I know the married Spider-Man wasn't the same as the unmarried, but it's only as an adult(ish) person that I recognize that. As a kid, I still wanted to be Spider-Man. He had cool powers, he was smart (I did well in school), he wasn't the most popular guy ever (and I wasn't the coolest kid) and he wanted to do right by his sickly Aunt (I loved my Grandma very much)...

There was so much to him that I loved, that I identified with, that wasn't changed by a wedding (and no, the "supermodel" business never really entered my consciousness until later, because it wasn't really played up so much that it became a significant part of the story).

Making a deal with the Devil... I don't care what the character is like now, and I don't care how much more Spider-Man like he is now than what he was under JMS. It's all of it set upon a foundation of something so egregious that I can't be bothered.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version