Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Wasn't Lyja part of the Nathan led Fantastic Force? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 2  

I know most here don't like DeFalco's handling of the FF but like his Thor stuff, I thought during an age of a lot dark, grim & gritty and supposedly kewl characters, he was doing some actual fun stuff. His comics were a little more old-fashioned and retro and most of the stuff he did was just fun explorations and side trips such as "killing" Reed and Doom and having Ant Man hanging around the team. You knew from the get-go it wasn't permanent but allowed some different team dynamics and them exploring different realities in an effort to get Reed back. Paul Ryan's art was very strong, proving him capable of drawing about anything.

The only thing I didn't like about the Alicia is a skrull revelation was that it reeks of ripping off a similar situation in the Legion of the Superheroes where Colossal Boy's romance and marrying of Shrinking Violet was revealed to be false, that she was actually a Durlan impersonating the hero. The chief differences being that seems to have been the plan all along by the creators instead of a retcon fix. But, DeFalco played it out better over the long term with Lyja becoming a heroic and sympathetic character in her own right.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 3  

Honestly, I think it was more than DeFalco thought that Alicia leavingBen and hooking up with Johnny was out of character for her. (Idisagree with that, but I think that was his perspective). And so hecame up with an explanation for why she was acting differently than hethought she should be: it wasn't her.

••

Whether or not DeFalco agreed with my characterization of Alicia, it was something I evolved over several issues -- the better part of a year, as I recall. His "solution" took all the effort of flipping a switch.

Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4  

<<<Or you could read X-Men Forever, which IMO, is a heck of a lot better then the three core X-Men books.>>>

I have indeed been reading X-MEN FOREVER, and I find it quite enjoyable. Chris is doing his best work in many years.

BUT--that series doesn't take place in the Marvel Universe proper, so I can't consider it anything more than a "What If" series that has no impact on the main continuity. And in the main continuity, Jean is still gone.

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 5  

<<<I don't think this idea would have flown. Fans rejected the Ben Reilly clone; there's little chance they would have accepted a Skrull Parker.>>>

Mary Jane could have been a Skrull.

When we were trying to come up with ways to end the marriage during the Clone Saga, one of the ideas that was suggested was that once Peter was revealed to be the one, true Spider-Man, Mary Jane could have been revealed as a clone, with the real MJ hidden away in suspended animation since the ORIGINAL clone story from the mid-1970s.

Looking back, I kind of wish we had gone with that!

Edited by Glenn Greenberg on 26 August 2009 at 10:22am

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 6  

Glenn wrote:
Looking back, I kind of wish we had gone with that!

Yeah, that would've worked well. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why they still couldn't have done that, unless Marvel didn't want any comparisons drawn to Madelyn Pryor.

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 7  

<<<In the latest A-rated issue of Amazing Spider-Man, the Chameleon rapes Pete's female roommate. I just cancelled my subscription.>>>

Thanks for the spoiler warning, pal.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 8  

Glenn that would have been a pretty neat way to go with that story.  Oh well I still pretty much enjoyed that whole thing anyways.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 9  

When we were trying to come up with ways to end the marriage during the Clone Saga, one of the ideas that was suggested was that once Peter was revealed to be the one, true Spider-Man, Mary Jane could have been revealed as a clone, with the real MJ hidden away in suspended animation since the ORIGINAL clone story from the mid-1970s.

••

So Gwen AND MJ were cloned? Anybody else? Aunt May? Jonah? Robbie?

Talk about a slippery slope!

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 10  

True, but I wonder if it's a matter of which is the lesser evil.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 11  

And to think, when Howard and I kicked around the idea of "fixing" Spider-Man using the Shaper of Worlds, Bob Harras said that it was too "cosmic" for Spider-Man, who is a "street level" character. Gotta think, once your dead girlfriend has come back as a clone, you ain't "street level" no more!

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 12  

A street level character who once possessed the power of Captain Universe...

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version