Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 1  

Continuity, which started out as a good idea -- Clark Kent works at the Daily Planet and he should not suddenly be working at the Evening Star unless there is some internal, story reason -- but fairly rapidly turned into a stain across whole "universes". The worst example being this notion that all the books that come out at the same time happen at the same time. So if Thor is off having an adventure in deep space, he cannot be in THE AVENGERS, or a contrived reason must be offered if he is.

This is one of the best arguments in favor of one-issue stories that are complete unto themselves. Then the anal-retentives who worry about how everything "fits together" can do the assembling in their own obsessed minds and the rest of us can just get on with enjoying reading the comics.

Back to Top profile | search

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 2  

I guess Dwayne McDuffie got relieved of his scripting duties on JLA after he explained in detail on his message board why certain things happened and didn't happen during his JLA run, and why he didn't have certain characters to work with. The SALVATION RUN miniseries pretty much truncated his Secret Society arc, while the Big Three all became pretty much unavailable simultaneously midway through the Milestone arc thanks to being "dead" (Batman), being on New Krypton (Superman) or being in a 12-issue Manazons arc in her own book (Wonder Woman).

Paging Vibe! And we need a new Vibe for the 21st century, one whose superpower manifests itself in his Krunking!

Cheers, Jon

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 3  

Just read all 5 pages and here's what stuck. Jan's dead?
---
Ditto, Michael! When will the killing end?!?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 4  

I guess Dwayne McDuffie got relieved of his scripting duties on JLAafter he explained in detail on his message board why certain thingshappened and didn't happen during his JLA run, and why he didn't havecertain characters to work with. The SALVATION RUN miniseries prettymuch truncated his Secret Society arc, while the Big Three all becamepretty much unavailable simultaneously midway through the Milestone arcthanks to being "dead" (Batman), being on New Krypton (Superman) orbeing in a 12-issue Manazons arc in her own book (Wonder Woman).

-----------------------------------------------------

While this is true, on the flip side, McDuffie is guilty of doing my least favorite thing that JLA writers invariably do, and that's putting a bunch of his favorite obscure characters and his own creations on the team.  After bringing in the Milestone characters, his proposed JLA roster (which never saw the light of day) was about 80% African American.  I have no problem with racial diversity in comics, but it should be just that, diversity, not 'I want to get all of my favorite African-American characters from two universes together and make them the Justice League'.

James Robinson is falling into the same trap.  While he's bringing in Dick/Batman, Ray Palmer, and Hal Jordan, he's also bringing in Mon-El who he's been writing in Superman, not to mention Congorilla and the blue Starman from First Issue Special, just because he likes those characters.

And, you know, half a dozen Congorilla fans demanded it....

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 5  

When will the killing end?!?

••

When creatively bankrupt writers and editors find something else that "sells".

Trust me! If someone put out a New Baby issue that sold thru the roof, there would be a population explosion like you never saw!

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 6  

Andrew wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a Skrull Mary Jane, although Iguess they already went that route with the Human Torch a few yearsback. They could have used Skrulls to undo Peter Parker's secretidentity revelation, though. Capture one of the Skrulls who waspretending to be Spider-Man, unmask him, and reveal that the wholething was part of a plot to infiltrate the Earth's media. Toss in aSkrull J. Jonah Jameson or Robbie Robertson, too, and you're all set.

Good points, Andrew. I'd buy that.  Well, not literally, but the premise sure beats the Mephisto solution. And I don't think the fact that it was done with Alicia Masters (which, btw, was an idea I didn't care for) should necessarily have precluded it being done with Mary Jane.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 7  

I thought the whole POINT of the Skrull invasion was to "fix" broken storylines. Was that not so? Cuz, honestly, I can't see any other good reason for it.

(Or is this another example of the Big Idea that dies aborning when the editors get cold feet?)

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 8  

"What I find more troubling about the "It's on bitch" line, is that it was allowed in a book with an "A" rating. Marvel books that carry an "A" rating are supposed to be suitable for ages 8 and up. Also, this is not the first time that questionable language has been allowed in Marvel comics with an "A" rating."

In the latest A-rated issue of Amazing Spider-Man, the Chameleon rapes Pete's female roommate.  I just cancelled my subscription.

(edited for punctuation)

Edited by Craig Bogart on 26 August 2009 at 7:30am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
The worst example being this notion that all the books that come out at the same time happen at the same time. So if Thor is off having an adventure in deep space, he cannot be in THE AVENGERS, or a contrived reason must be offered if he is.

I've heard that from some people. Never understood it. Why spoil your own enjoyment or other people's enjoyment?

Suppose I buy 3 Superman titles in one month. In the first title, Superman is off saving a planet in another galaxy; in the second title, Clark Kent is working undercover in Metropolis; in the third title, Superman and Green Lantern are away in another country battling supervillains.

Just because all those titles may be released in one month doesn't mean they're all happening at the same time. I wouldn't read the first title (Superman in another galaxy) and ask how he and Green Lantern can also be working on Earth at the same time. I'm reading the title now (whenever now is) and it's that title I am enjoying.

EDIT - Grammar.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 26 August 2009 at 7:32am

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 10  

Craig wrote:
In the latest A-rated issue of Amazing Spider-Man, the Chameleon rapes Pete's female roommate.

!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 11  

In the latest A-rated issue of Amazing Spider-Man, the Chameleon rapes Pete's female roommate. I just cancelled my subscription.

••

Apparently, Marvel does not understand that "All-Ages" means "can be read with equal enjoyment by people of all ages", not "is a hodge-podge of material targeted at different age groups".

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 12  

I kind of thought that Secret Invasion was going to be the "fix" for Civil War.  Getting all the superheroes back and on the same page (even though I did think that the two Avengers groups could have worked but obviously didn't).  All it did was muddy up the waters more with the whole Dark Reign thing we have going on with Osborne.

Now we have more sulking heroes, death, and publicly denounced heroes to deal with.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version