Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: MAXIM covers Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hank Pym is written with some weird tendencies that would make you think they are trying to just slam him back into the wife beater character that Marvel was portraying him as. But to me it seems that this is just part of their trying to make him different. He is dealing with the loss of the love of his life and he is returning from years of torture by the Skrulls who made a mockery of his name. Hank was never too stable dating back to the very beginning (original Goliath and Yellowjacket stories).

Years of torture by the Skrulls??? i'm unfamiliar with this plot point but i remember Hank Pym being restored/redeemed during Kurt Busiek's tenure on The Avengers so i don't get why they'd 'unravel' Pym to now redeem him again. Seems redundant to me. Even with the Skrull factor.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 25 August 2009 at 9:18pm

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

One of the problems I had with Secret Invasion is that I didn't think it was bold enough with the Skrulls' infiltration. Pym wasn't a Skrull captive for "years"--I don't think any character had been missing for more than a year or so (Marvel time--or maybe even "real" time) when they got around to revealing when certain characters had been replaced.

Marvel had a golden opportunity to get rid of all of the post-Frank Miller Elektra appearances, Nightcrawler's goofy "son of a demon" origin, any Hank Pym appearance where he's been an unstable wife-beater guy, Tony Stark's Superhero Registration Act-goon phase, Norman Osborn's return from the dead, Peter Parker's marriage (which I didn't mind, but which Quesada wanted to get rid of), and any number of stories that they could have swept under the rug without reverting to a "Crisis"-style reboot.

Instead, the Wasp got killed, Dum-Dum Dugan may have been killed, Mockingbird came back from the dead, and characters as major and shocking as Jarvis the Butler and maybe some Young Avengers were replaced by Skrulls for a few weeks. Even if they didn't want to use that storyline as an excuse for some housecleaning, they could at least have revealed that a character more major than Spider-Woman had been missing for several years' time.       

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

Andrew wrote:
Peter Parker's marriage (which I didn't mind, but which Quesada wanted to get rid of)...

I can agree with most of your points, but I don't think this idea would have flown. Fans rejected the Ben Reilly clone; there's little chance they would have accepted a Skrull Parker.
Back to Top profile | search

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

i'm unfamiliar with this plot point but i remember Hank Pym beingrestored/redeemed during Kurt Busiek's tenure on The Avengers so idon't get why they'd 'unravel' Pym to now redeem him again.

Roger Stern and Steve Englehart already did it. Our host did a great job repairing the Wasp/Pym relationship. I wish Buseik had left it alone really. Because it opened the door for a later writer to work out his daddy issues using Pym.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

then Geoff Johns made him crazy again

What did Johns do to Pym?

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

Actually, Johns might not have done anything bad to Pym--I might be thinking of the Chuck Austen run right after his. Someone after Busiek and before Bendis started messing him up again, and I don't completely remember if it was Johns of Austen. Johns did write the overly suggestive size-changing sex scene between Pym and Janet Van Dyne during his run, though, so maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 7  

I can agree with most of your points, but I don't think this idea would have flown. Fans rejected the Ben Reilly clone; there's little chance they would have accepted a Skrull Parker.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Skrull Mary Jane, although I guess they already went that route with the Human Torch a few years back. They could have used Skrulls to undo Peter Parker's secret identity revelation, though. Capture one of the Skrulls who was pretending to be Spider-Man, unmask him, and reveal that the whole thing was part of a plot to infiltrate the Earth's media. Toss in a Skrull J. Jonah Jameson or Robbie Robertson, too, and you're all set.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2009 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

I wouldn't say that Johns made Hank crazy again, but he did write the Hank/Jan issue where his previous behavior was brought up.  IIRC, that he hadn't been a very good husband and that marrying again was not a good idea at this point.

It was Austen who put it into overdrive.  That the other Avengers have never really forgotten that he hit Jan.  Then of course we had Hawkeye sleeping with Jan.  I would finger Austen as the real culprit when you're talking about bringing back a more unbalanced Hank.

Few years back I saw Slott posting on one of the boards.  Arguing how the Hulk had never actually killed anyone.  The phrase he used really stuck with me because it's pretty much how I feel.  Nothing is more important than the integrity of the characters.
It's when you mess with that too much that you lose me.

I haven't read a lot of Slott comics so I'm not claiming that it carries over to his writing.  I certainly that quote that was posted.  Words are fine, now what do the actual books show.

I've seen Quesada in interviews where what he says sounds good.  That he is only the caretaker of this characters and how seriously he takes that responsibility.  He thinks he's protecting the integrity of these characters.  Depends on you point of view, I suppose.   IMO, he hasn't with some of my favorite Marvel characters. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 9  

This nonsense has become the vogue since Alan Moore force fed it to us in WATCHMEN

++

Why, yes, because Moore actually pressured people into buying copies of Watchmen under some kind of duress?

No, I'm sorry, I can't let that pass unchallenged ... Watchmen sold…

••

Who's talking about sales? If you'd bothered to read my entire post, you might have noticed I was talking about the effect WATCHMEN had on other writers. Hence my comment about Frank and DKR. WATCHMEN had not sold copy one when other writers began climbing onto Moore's bandwagon.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 10  

He has also gone on record as saying that the DARK PHOENIX SAGA was not for/aimed at kids…

••

No, it wasn't. It was for EVERYBODY. The story contained "adult" elements, but they were presented in a way that would have slipped right past the average 8 year old. Then as now, I liked to layer my stories, so a reader returning from time to time would find new things as his perceptions of the world matured.

Quesada, of course, was about 18 when Dark Phoenix happened, so he read it with his 18 year old perceptions and assumed himself to be the target audience. We used to encounter a strata of fandom that was like that -- the books were for them and them alone. Now, it seems that most of the people working in comics are from that strata.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 11  

There's an article on Newsarama about how the big three might be getting back together  in the Avengers. It points out that they haven't been together for something like 8 years.

8 Years

Captain America, Thor and Iron Man have not been together for 8 years.

And we wonder why people who see a film don't start to buy the comics. Because the characters they see on the screen are not in the comics anymore (Granted it used to be that the characters had been changed for the screen but with Iron Man and Hulk it's the other way around).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2009 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 12  

Eight years?????

Meanwhile, DC seems to be trying to emulate this by once more removing Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman frrom the Justice League for "continuity" purposes. It seems like every time the JLA is rebooted, a big deal is made of getting the Big Three (and maybe even the Original Seven) back together in the book. And then a few years go by and suddenly Vixen is the longest continuously serving member of the team...

Cheers, Jon

Edited by Jonathan Stover on 26 August 2009 at 5:47am

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version