Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Marvel’s DC Heroes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Going only slightly off-topic, Roy Thomas ended up doing what amounted to homages to DC's own heroes in Young All-Stars after the Crisis removed several of the Golden Age heroes from All-Star Squadron continuity. There was "Iron" Munro for Superman (later revealed to be the super-powered son of the super-powered protagonist of Philip Wylie's Gladiator!), the Golden-Age Fury for Wonder Woman, Flying Fox for Batman, an aquatic Asian woman for Aquaman (if memory serves me correctly) and a power-heightened Dan the Dyna-mite for, well, Dan the Dyna-mite, I guess
More allusion/analog than homage in my opinion, Dyna-mite was a sort of stand in for Robin. ( I've often wondered why he didnt use Sandy, but Thomas never seemed to care for non-powered heroes) Aquaman was "split" between Tsunami and Neptune Perkins. The YAS opposite numbers, Axis America,  were also analogs: Ubermench (Superman), Gudra (Wonder Woman) , Grösshorn Eule and Fledermaus (Batman and Robin) Sea Wolf (Aquaman) and Usil (Green Arrow)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

Fury's the oddest one of the bunch, as the contemporary Fury in Infinity, Inc. was the daughter of Wonder Woman.prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths. I'm a bit surprised Roy didn't try to come up with out-of-copyright characters to be the ancestors of all the Young All-Stars, frankly.

Cheers, Jon

Back to Top profile | search

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

JB wrote:
Taking something that used to be special and making it ordinary!

Good point, JB. Your statement made me think of what other things used to be special that are now ordinary. 

One thing that came to mind is burning custom CDs for personal use. Not only "ordinary" now, but virtually defunct with the advent of MP3 players.

But, given the hypothetical monthly cross-company crossover thing, would you have had fun with such a situation? I think a year long Superman/FF crossover by you would be phenomenal.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 4  

I think a year long Superman/FFcrossover by you would be phenomenal.

Man, don't get me started! I'd kill for a single prestige format issue of Superman and the Fantastic Four by JB.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 5  

How could DC possibly have an issue with Marvel using Wonder-Man and forcing them to stop using the name/character when the character died in the same issue he was introduced?!?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2009 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 6  

My guess is that Wonder-Man wasn't killed off because DC complained, but rather that DC complained after his first appearance hit the stands, and demanded that he not be used again. Certainly it would have been easy enough to bring him back even though he appeared to die at the end of his first story... that sort of thing happened all the time. I'm sure DC was aware of this, and probably they just said "you better not bring him back, or else."

As far as I know Steve Englehart was not aware of this when he made the decision to revive the character. He already had used the character once in a Giant-Size Avengers prior to Power Girl's debut. But perhaps he would have been told he could not permanently revive the character, if not for Power Girl.

Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version