Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: The Beast and Nightcrawler (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 1  

Oh, that is so lame.

Don't forget the real reason Clark wears specs!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 2  

And then there's the kitty-kat. . . . .

Does anybody even like kitty kat Beast? I love both the original Beast and furry Beast. i think they are both great designs. Im fond of the breif period when when furry Beast was wearing  his X-Factor uniform.

Kitty kat beast is the pits. I swear I almost think Frank Quietly was instructed to come up with the ugliest designs possible.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 3  

And the behind-the-scenes reason for that discrepancy is that Len Wein and Dave Cockrum disagreed about Nightcrawler's characterization. Wein wanted him to be an unhappy freak, while Cockrum thought that was a cliche and felt it would be more original to have him be happy with his appearance and not tortured at all. So the stories Cockrum did after Wein left worked to push him in that direction.

••

When I came on as resident penciler on UNCANNY, one of the first things Chris told me he wanted to do was a story in which the X-Men wake up one morning and they have all become circus freaks. He said this was a story he had come up with early on in his own tenure with the book, but Dave had not liked it, so they didn't do it. I thought it was a terrific idea, and it became one of the first stories we did.

A few years later, when I, in turn, left the book, I continued to follow it for a while and noticed that Chris was doing all the stories and "bits" I had said I didn't want to do -- pretty much in the order in which I'd said "no" to them.

The fact that the posted panels with Nightcrawler lecturing Scott about how miserable it is to be a mutant are from my second issue on the book would seem to indicate Chris was recycling even earlier than I thought -- in this case going back to Len's original idea!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 4  

The Circus is One Big Family.

Just as The Blob.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 5  

JB wrote:
The fact that the posted panels with Nightcrawler lecturing Scott about how miserable it is to be a mutant are from my second issue on the book would seem to indicate Chris was recycling even earlier than I thought -- in this case going back to Len's original idea!

It seems more like Kurt is telling Scott to lighten up.

That said, the lecture is still out of line; for that matter, so is Scott's statement, but he never said anything about his own power. There didn't seem any cause for Kurt to compare Scott's mutant power to his own appearance. Also, Kurt seems to be doing an awful lot of mind-reading in the last panel. As you mentioned earlier, Scott's situation is a bit thornier than Kurt's. For him, it's less about accepting who he is or thinking the "world's shafted him" than it is about maintaining constant vigilance and the strictest control; and living in constant fear of losing that control and hurting/killing someone.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 6  

Mutants who felt shafted joined Magneto. I mean, how UN-Scott is that?!!!?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 7  

Seems rather un-Kurtlike too, for that matter. He seems almost more like a mouthpiece than a character in that sequence.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 8  

Chris has pretty much always been the poster child for writers who use the characters to serve their needs, rather than serving the needs of the characters. It's one of the things we used to clash over all the time.

And, as I have noted before, as it was Chris' interpretation of the characters that was seeing print, and being accepted by fans unfamiliar with the original versions, I eventually came to realize if I didn't like what Chris was doing, I didn't like the characters.* And that was when I left the book.

* This was most especially true of Kitty, of course. She was a character I had created, but right from the start Chris wrote her in ways I did not intend. My Kitty, for all intents and purposes, never saw the light of day.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 9  

There is sure a sh*tload of dialogue in those panels!  Holy crap!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 10  

Funny story there --- When Frank Miller was doing the Wolverine miniseries with Chris he looked at how Chris scripted my X-Men pages (on which it seemed I could never quite leave him enough space for captions and balloons no matter how much space I left open), and so left acres of empty space on his pages. Chris, tho, looked at the terse, sparse dialog Frank used on DAREDEVIL and decided to emulate that, resulting in acres of space that remained empty -- and fans and critics, who did not know the behind the scenes story, singing the praises of this "bold new graphic style".

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 11  

Bob wrote:
There is sure a sh*tload of dialogue in those panels!  Holy crap!

And that's restrained compared to Claremont's FF.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 12  

I definitely recall Claremont's copious amounts of dialog being a daunting task to me as an 8 or 9 year old checking out X-MEN comics for the first time. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version