Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Organic Web Shooters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 1  

JB, I wouldn't say "misremembering", but I would say you were being kind toward the script. Peter could have been coached on the basics of Octavius' discovery, or he could have latched onto potential problems identified by others and mentioned them during the interview. Nothing that clearly demonstrated anything more than good journalistic background checking of an interview subject's work. Going into the movie, I knew that Peter was a genius, but I felt the script did little beyond having other characters whose abilities were demonstrated (a university professor, a successful inventor) tell me that he was their equal.

Robert, as to why the building of the webshooters is important, at least to me...

Showing Peter as someone who had more than an interest in science fairly demands that he demonstrate his ability onscreen, especially since so much time was being devoted to his social awkwardness. We can have JJJ call him a lazy teenager if we've got something to offset it, but without the webshooters, without the spider tracers, without even the modification to his camera that makes it track his chest insignia, we're left with only the word of others. Can a movie viewer who has never read a comic be sure that they're right and JJJ is wrong if the guy running the pizza parlour and the landlord down the hall also agree with JJJ?

Peter Parker isn't just a guy who was bitten by a spider, any more than Reed Richards is just a guy who can stretch, or any more than Victor von Doom is just a guy in a suit of armor. Take away the intelligence (or make it difficult for the uninitiated to find) and you've changed the character.

Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks, Kevin!

------------

I live to serve.  Unless I'm on break.

I'm on break A LOT.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

Being a genius is essential to Peter Parker. Its what makes his story sad. If he were not somebody with a really bright future, why would being Spider-Man be a burden? He would want to be Spider-Man all the time. 

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Being a genius is essential to Peter Parker. Its what makes his story sad. If he were not somebody with a really bright future, why would being Spider-Man be a burden? He would want to be Spider-Man all the time.

I don't believe that's true. I'm no genius and I see how being Spider-Man can be a "burden". Besides, he IS Spider-Man all the time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

I gotta agree with Victor, here. I feel that the time he spends being Spider-Man has, always would have, and always will impede Peter Parker from being the incredible scientist that he could and should be. JB and Howard Mackie made this point, I think, in their 90s reboot. It was made again by Dan Slott in the first BND arc.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
I don't believe that's true. I'm no genius and I see how being Spider-Man can be a "burden". Besides, he IS Spider-Man all the time.
So why would Spider-Man be a burden to ordinary non genius Peter Parker?  

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

The same way he'd be a burden to anyone. It wouldn't matter what your job or intelligence level was, constantly feeling the need to live up to your responsibility would be a burden all by itself.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think the burden of always having to hide your identity, putting your life at
risk, always devoting your free time to others would be a burden for Peter
regardless of his intelligence.

As the organic webshooters, I prefer mechanical but I enjoyed the move with
the organic ones.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

So you are telling me being Spider-Man would not be a better deal for a ordinary person, than a guy who is a genius with an incredible future in front of him?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 August 2009 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 10  

The notion of Spider-Man as a "burden" indicates how far off track the character has gone. Slipping into the suit used to be an escape for Peter. It was his everyday life, with Aunt May to worry about, and Flash Thompson always busting his chops, that was the "burden".

Spider-Man, as stated right there on the cover of AMAZING FANTASY 15, was the ultimate "revenge" fantasy -- "If they only knew!"

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2009 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 11  

So you are telling me being Spider-Man would not be a better deal for a ordinary person, than a guy who is a genius with an incredible future in front of him?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. What, ordinary people don't have incredible futures ahead of them? They don't have lives and families? They don't have bills? Just being a genius doesn't somehow make it automatically harder.

As JB stated, Peter's ordinary life was more of a burden than being Spider-Man. How many times did he put on the costume just to swing away his worries?

Being Spider-Man would be hard on anyone.

Derek Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2009 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Derek, would you consider the hand-made web-shooters far-fetched?

Why is it necessary to bend over backwards to make the organic shooters seem plausible? And what does NASA have to do with spiders?

I don't think that mechanical web-shooters are far-fetched, I just prefer the organic web-shooter concept for Spidey better than the mechanical.  I don't think that it's "bending over backwards" to make organic shooters plausible with the carbon nanotubes. The natural world comes up with amazing ways to solve problems -- it also designs for efficiency at times.  Nature may deem it necessary to give this ability to a man-spider hybrid.

I laughed out loud at the NASA response -- sorry!  NASA has worked with spiders in zero G to see what effect it has on spiders ability to make their web structures.  So there!  :P 

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version