Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Organic Web Shooters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 1  

I wonder if Stan and Steve even gave much thought, if any, to biological web-spinners.  The web gun was present in Kirby's version, and Spider-Man already had more powers than most of his super-hero peers.  How many of the first wave of Marvel heroes had more than one power, let alone three? 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

Many of the original Marvel heroes had a "natural" power, coupled with a mechanical assist. Wasp had size control and mechanical stings, Ant-Man had size control and mechanical means of communicating with ants, Thor had strength and mechanical (okay, mystical) means of flight and weather control, Daredevil had radar sense and mechanical means of swinging from rooftops...

Hulk had strength only, and Iron Man had mechanical assist only. Those two were at opposite ends of the Marvel spectrum (along with the X-Men), with everyone else somewhere in between those two extremes. The Fantastic Four had their natural powers but relied heavily on Reed's inventions to get around or investigate criminal activity.

Edited by Wayde Murray on 06 August 2009 at 12:45pm
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

And Cyclops' visor is the straw that stirs the drink as far as his power is concerned.

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Good point, Kevin.

Take away the scientists and inventors of the early Marvel Universe, and Thor is just about the only character left standing intact.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

Why waste time selling pictures to JJJ for pocket change when he could be a rich inventor (or seamstress)? In this regard  I prefer the films approach to the character, he's a student, not a scientist.

SER: Peter Parker's background as a scientist is why he won his battles against pretty much every villain he met who wasn't a common thug. If he was just an average guy who got powers, he would have lost to Doctor Octopus, Electro, the Vulture, the Sandman, The Rhino, and The Lizard (you or I never could have "cured" Curt Connors).

Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, whether they knew it or not, made science "cool" with Spider-Man. Similar to how JB made journalism "cool" through the Superman stories of his that I read as a kid (granted, my background was such that I really could only follow in Clark Kent's professional footsteps).

Also, as for becoming a rich inventor, I think that falls into the "power and responsibility" category.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Read a recent interview today with Stan Lee on webshooters.

http://www.tibbysbowl.com/bowl/2009/01/11/stan-lee-interview /10/

>>PLUME: And now, honestly… You thoughts on organic webshooters?

LEE: Jim Cameron - who had written an original treatment for it long ago - and, apparently, Sam Raimi, both felt it made a better movie. They very well might be right. Maybe it would have been hard for an audience to accept that a guy could just make those things themselves. I would have had them be handmade webshooters. The way I would have done it is… but again, a movie is a very difficult thing to do when there’s so little time. They had to cut out most of my little cameo in it because the movie ran long. But what I would have done, if I could have, was have him - since before he became Spider-Man he was a science student - I would have had his project be that he was trying to develop a substance that could be shot out of an instrument and it would stick to walls for some reason… for whatever reason he wanted to do that. But he just wasn’t able to do it - all of his experiments failed. Then, when he was bitten by the spider, he instinctively knew how to do it - what chemicals to put together. So I would have done it that way, and then it would have been perfectly true to the comic book origin. But that would have taken more explaining and extra scenes and, again, maybe it still wouldn’t have been believable.
<<

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wasn't it James Cameron who originated the idea of the organic web-shooters? Raimi didn't even come up with the idea, he just went with it.

Why is it so hard to make the web-shooters mechanical? Superman can fly, the Hulk goes from 160 to 1000 pounds and back again, and Iron Man has an arc reactor in his chest. And Spider-Man can't have artificial web-shooters?

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

Bah, what does this Lee guy know, anyway. It's not as if he created the character...

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

This is about internal logic. Literally, in this case!

I know. Unfortunately lots of people don't seem to get that.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peyton Holden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

I can't remember the name of the comic or it's issue number, but it was drawn by Frank Miller and introduced the girl who would later become Karma in New Mutants.

She decides to take over Spider-Man's body to save her little sister or some-such, but before she takes him over she makes a comment like, I know he can shoot webs, but is it a natural power, that's inhuman.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Plus I LOVED my toy web shooters I had as a kid!

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

Spider-Man was the perfect amalgam of Superman and Batman... He had super powers but he also had gadgets, the best of both worlds. That is why he worked so well and was/is so cool.

Add to that, what Dirko designed for the web-shooters which are the coolest comicbook invention, cooler than Batman's Utility belt and it is a damn shame that Raimi short changed the character like that... $300,000.00 suit...no problem for a teenager.. Web Shooters for a science geek that could have been no more advanced than a new formula for silly string? Beyond anyones imagination.... It would have been simple to make the web-shooters work for a teenager.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

I can't remember the name of the comic or it's issue number, but it was drawn by Frank Miller and introduced the girl who would later become Karma in New Mutants.

---------

MTU #100

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version