Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Organic Web Shooters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 1  

Personally, I've always thought the organic webshooters were an idea that made perfect sense, and wondered why Stan and Steve didn't think of it.

Shortly after the release of the movie I read an interview with Stan and he said they did. They rejected it because it would have made the character too creepy for a young audience. They didn't want to make him too much like a spider.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 2  

In addition to the reasons stated against organic webs, I also love the mechanical webshooters because they are the most obvious evidence of teenage Peter Parker's extraordinary intelligence, something absolutely essential to the character. The best superheroes aren't cyphers, after all, but carry forward even once empowered whatever was previously unique about them.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 3  

The movie made no real effort to have Peter as a special kid. He didn't go to the science exhibition alone, as in the books, he went along with all the other kids. He didn't invent the web shooters, he had organic web.
They missed the point completely. There should be no discussion about organic web shooters. This is as ridiculous as Superman throwing large pentagonal S-symbols to trap his enemies.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 4  

You have on many occasions made statements to the effect of "if you bring in reality, it's time to move on." So how can you get so caught up in the intricacies of web production, and it's physical implications, yet ignore nonsense like "spider sense"? Or for that matter how spider strength and speed would alter Parkers physical appearance, and musculature?

Since JB has answered already, I will also give my 2 cents on this matter. If Spider-Man had been *created* with organic webshooters, maybe I would give it a pass. However, Raimi had the arrogance to change something that had worked fine for 40 years on the basis of "realism." Under those circumstances, then I believe it's fair to hold the person making the change to a pretty high standard.

It's like if I made a Superman film where Superman didn't fly naturally but because of his "magic" cape -- because I believed that was more "realistic." As arguably unrealistic as Superman's biological flying ability might be, it would be fair to tear me a new one for my completely absurd "change."

What's more annoying is that the webshooters weren't a necessary change. It didn't make the film move more quickly -- the time it took for his "shazam!" comic relief scene could have been used for a montage scene of him making the webshooters. And since this is already a comic book movie, I doubt that viwers would not accept the conceit that Parker = genius = inventor of something that no one else has made.

I mean, Batman is hardly "realistic" and the explanation for his skills and his arsenal (he's smart, in good shape, and rich) was always enough in most media adaptations of the character.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 5  

Personally, I've always thought the organic webshooters were an idea that made perfect sense, and wondered why Stan and Steve didn't think of it.

Shortly after the release of the movie I read an interview with Stan and he said they did. They rejected it because it would have made the character too creepy for a young audience. They didn't want to make him too much like a spider.

••

Shortly after Spider-Man picked up his black and white costume in SECRET WARS, I was on a panel at a Con in Atlanta. A woman in the audience asked why Marvel had changed Spider-Man's costume, and, as she saw it, made him "scary".

This took me back immediately to Stan's stories of what a hard sell Spider-Man was -- not to the public, but to the Powers that Were at Marvel. Spider-Man has been a part of our culture and conscience now for almost fifty years (!!) and we forget sometimes that for most people spiders are, in Shooter's word, "icky". Most people simply don't like spiders, and back in 1962 it was something of an odd choice for Stan to make as the basis for a superhero.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 6  

Raimi had the arrogance to change something that had worked fine for 40 years on the basis of "realism."

••

Not even that! "Arrogance" is the key word. Raimi made the change, as he stated several times. because as a sixteen year old he could not have made the mechanical webspinners.

Newsflash, Sam! The movie is not called "The Amazing Raimi".

(And, as noted several times, Raimi has no problem at all with Parker making a costume that costs the studio $100,000 a pop! As a sixteen year old movie fan that's something Raimi would have wished he could make, so that okay!)

Derek Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 7  

I like the organic webslinging take.  I do see JB's point about where would Spidey store the raw components to generate his webbing.  I say, carbon nanotubes -- please don't laugh!  If NASA has considered using them to build a space platform attached to a tether of nanotubes, it's not that far fetched.  Spidey's body could've just developed an efficient way to make these when he was bitten -- just sayin'! 

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
I say, carbon nanotubes -- please don't laugh!  If NASA has considered using them to build a space platform attached to a tether of nanotubes, it's not that far fetched.

Derek, would you consider the hand-made web-shooters far-fetched?

Why is it necessary to bend over backwards to make the organic shooters seem plausible? And what does NASA have to do with spiders?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 9  

I do see JB's point about where would Spidey store the raw components to generate his webbing. I say, carbon nanotubes -- please don't laugh! If NASA has considered using them to build a space platform attached to a tether of nanotubes, it's not that far fetched. Spidey's body could've just developed an efficient way to make these when he was bitten -- just sayin'!

••

But, once again, this is a "solution" that has nothing to do with spiders. This is no different from Shooter's insistence that Spider-Man clings to walls thru a "molecular interface".

The spider-bite gave Parker the abilities of the spider. Show me a spider that generates carbon nanotubes within its body, and then projects them under pressure from the ends of its legs, and I'll buy the biological webshooters,

Until then, the guys who created the character probably got it right.

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 10  

To my mind, both organic and mechanical web-shooters were less of a stretch than when Spider-Man used to make hang-gliders or parachutes out of webbing. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11  

John Byrne wrote:
...Getting the abilities of a spider as a result of being bitten by one -- radioactive or genetically engineered* -- is about as far from "reality" as one can get...

...* A change the movie made that actually worked...

And that change wasn't the filmmaker's original idea, either. They took it from "Ultimate Spider-Man," which was first published about a couple of years before the film was released. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 12  

To my mind, both organic and mechanical web-shooters were less of a stretch than when Spider-Man used to make hang-gliders or parachutes out of webbing.

••

Complete agreement, there. Some serious "DC-itis" slipped into Spider-Man along the way. "Hey, look! My webbing can do something it couldn't do last issue!" In this case, it turned Spider-Man into Green Lantern.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version