Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Organic Web Shooters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yet within his own "universe" he has no problem establishing that "only living tissue" can be transported thru time, whilst in the same movie sending a mechanical robot back by wrapping it in flesh. How come the Terminator didn't arrive in the Past as an empty skin sack?

And if such a thing were possible, why not simply create flesh wrappings for the jets and tanks of the future to be sent back?

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

Reading through this thread, I really am amazed at what people are willing to throw out and consider inconsequential to a character that has been my all-time favorite since I first discovered him 33 years ago.  When people talk like his background in science isn't important, I really have to scratch my head and wonder if we've all been reading the same comics!  When people say that it doesn't matter if it's web shooters or organic webbing, some going so far as to say organic makes much more sense, yet have no problem with Peter sewing his own costume with nary a tailor's skill inherited from that spider bite, I have to laugh.  Expanding beyond this thread, when people say that it doesn't matter that Aunt May knows his secret, others saying that they wished May had stayed dead, I find both notions to be absolutely ridiculous.  They come from people who don't really understand, at all, what the character of May represents to Peter and the guilt he carries as a result of Ben's death.  When I read that people think JMS' run on ASM was really good, that the horrible "Sins Past" should be mined for opportunities to bring back the Osborn/Stacy twins, I have to shake my head.

I dunno.  So much has been mucked with and changed with Peter that I can't help but feel incredibly sad when I think about.  That's compounded to the Nth degree when fans justify all the crap that's been shoveled on, over, and around him. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

There is a strata of fandom that I find deeply disturbing -- the ones who rejoiced when Aunt May died, after years of demanding her death (preferably in some horrible manner).

Of course I can pinpoint their reasoning (even if, perhaps, some of them can't) with ease: it's the whole denied responsibility thing again. Somehow, this strata of fandom, whilst loudly declaring itself to be the Greatest Spider-Man Fans Ever completely miss the central core of the character. Spider-Man is about anything but denied responsibility. But for these "fans" -- and anyone who so completely misses the point of a character cannot be considered a true fan -- Aunt May represents exactly what they don't want Peter to have, and what Stan made the very cornerstone of the character in the very first story. They want Aunt May gone, so Peter can just forget (and so can they) that "with great power there must come great responsibility."

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

Exactly.  Aunt May is a constant reminder of his part in Ben's death.  Looking at her, having her in his life, is a constant reminder for him of the responsibility that comes with his powers. In other words, she is an invaluable touchstone. Once she's gone or once she knows his secret and forgives him, that very central piece, the very core of his character, is gone as well.  I, for one, have never wanted May to die and I've also never wanted her to find out Peter's secret.  It really stuns me that there are people, both professional and fan, who don't think twice when either option is on the table.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

I dunno.  So much has been mucked with and changed with Peter that I can't help but feel incredibly sad when I think about.  That's compounded to the Nth degree when fans justify all the crap that's been shoveled on, over, and around him. 

++++++++++

Ditto that, my brother.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

I, for one, have never wanted May to die and I've also never wanted her to find out Peter's secret. It really stuns me that there are people, both professional and fan, who don't think twice when either option is on the table.

••

That's because you are what is becoming an increasingly rare beastie, Matt. You've been reading Spider-Man's adventures for 33 years and you still get it. You still understand what makes Spider-Man really Spider-Man.

Sadly, even Stan seems to have forgotten that!

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
And if such a thing were possible, why not simply create flesh wrappings for the jets and tanks of the future to be sent back?

After seeing how the tissue was generated for the endoskeletons, it would take a specialized factory to generate flesh for HKs. If we pay attention to what Reese said in the first film, Skynet's defense grid was smashed, the Terminators going through time were a last-ditch effort. There wasn't time to wrap other machines in living tissue. And besides, the Terminator was an infiltration unit - so it already had programming to blend in with society so no one would mount a major defensive campaign.

But we understand that in the Cameronverse, if the dead item is surrounded by living tissue, it will be transported through time. Something about the field generated by a living organism - I don't know, I didn't build the f****ing thing. ;-)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 4:21am | IP Logged | 8  

If we pay attention to what Reese said in the first film…

••

Which none of the sequels do, so. . . .

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 9  

I think if it was up to me Peter Parker would still be in High School.  Having the problems of not being popular, school work, trying to find a girlfriend, etc.  Also, keeping Spider-Man battles to an issue or two (obviously since Peter would have a curfew and school). 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 10  

This'll probably never happen, but I would LOVE to see a film that focused on Spider-Man as Lee/Ditko presented him as exactly as possible. Most important, a teenage Peter Parker and PLAYED by a teenager too. (Would love an X-Men movie with the original team the same way!)

Aunt May is indispensable. Has Stan Lee changed his mind on that?

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think if it was up to me Peter Parker would still be in High School.  Having the problems of not being popular, school work, trying to find a girlfriend, etc.

And probably that was the origin of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Sean Blythe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

This'll probably never happen, but I would LOVE to see a film that
focused
on Spider-Man as Lee/Ditko presented him as exactly as possible. Most
important, a teenage Peter Parker and PLAYED by a teenager too. (Would
love an X-Men movie with the original team the same way!)

Different characters, but you might enjoy reading Michael Chabon's
rejected proposal for an FF movie. It's
very much Lee & Kirby's Fantastic Four.

Edit: I notice that Chabon's speech at the Eisner awards is directly under
that piece. That's also a good read -- and he agrees with a lot of what
gets said in this forum all the time.

Edit 2: It's not directly under, sorry. It's on that site though.

Edited by Sean Blythe on 13 August 2009 at 4:04pm

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version