Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Organic Web Shooters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 1  

Peter in the comics is now in his late 20s, and the fact that he hasn't hung up the webs (in a world -- an NYC even -- full of super-heroes) and become a successful scientist really does defy logic.

••

He may be 29, but he's still carrying the guilt for his indirect responsibility in the death of Uncle Ben. That's the main reason he has not "hung up the webs".

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 2  

He may be 29, but he's still carrying the guilt for his indirect responsibility in the death of Uncle Ben. That's the main reason he has not "hung up the webs".

OK, but couldn't he better honor Ben's memory -- and do better for the world -- as a professional scientist than as one superhero in a world full of who-knows-how-many?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 3  

OK, but couldn't he better honor Ben's memory -- and do better for the world -- as a professional scientist than as one superhero in a world full of who-knows-how-many?

••

And right there you touch upon something that has gone very, very wrong with the way altogether too many fans and readers (and equally writers and editors) think about these characters.

Ideally, altho Spider-Man and Thor and Iron Man and the FF and everybody else exist in a "shared universe", you should not be thinking about that while reading the latest issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, or THE MIGHTY THOR, or THE INVINCIBLE IRON MAN, or FANTASTIC FOUR. You should not be wondering why every Marvel book isn't THE AVENGERS, and every DC book isn't THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.

Each story, each issue, is an independent entity. Parker fights crime as Spider-Man because (a) a criminal killed his beloved uncle (and he was indirectly responsible) and (b) if he doesn't "nobody else will". Sure, "realistically" if Spider-Man was not there to stop Doctor Octopus or Electro or the Vulture or whoever, somebody else would be. But is that really why we read these things? Do we want Peter to behave in a "realistic" manner -- ie, the way we would?

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 4  

In yours and Howard Mackie's first issue of Amazing Spider-Man, I liked how Iron Man put it. Im not sure if this is 100 percent accurate "If not for Spider-Man, the Avengers would be constantly dealing with Doctor Octopus and Electro, instead of dealing with Kang and Ultron." 

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 5  

JB -- I'm just saying that Peter's reasoning for being Spider-Man works much better if he's a teenager, or even a college student, than as a 29 year old. Haven't you said much the same?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 6  

JB -- I'm just saying that Peter's reasoning for being Spider-Man works much better if he's a teenager, or even a college student, than as a 29 year old. Haven't you said much the same?

••

Not quite. I have said that I agree with Ditko, that Parker should never had stopped being a teenager, since as a teenager he can still screw up in ways that, if he's 29, just make him an immature putz.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 7  

A thought:

Another reason the 29 year old Peter Parker wouldn't be a scientist is that the college age Peter Parker did not really make the right choices that would have led him to that goal. He chooses to do the responsible thing at the time, sacrifycing his goals. So that by the time he's 29, he is who he is - a brilliant guy who did not get to become a scientist, and feels he helps out in what he is now best at - being Spider-man.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 8  

I do not believe Peter is 29. He is 24 at most.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 9  

"Do we want Peter to behave in a "realistic" manner -- ie, the way we would?"

--

That brings up another big problem I had with the first Spider-Man movie - Raimi added that the wrestling event owner screwed Peter out of a large sum of cash, and that the robber stole from him before he ran past Peter. So that gave Peter a justification for letting the robber go. Most of us probably would have done the same under those same circumstances as well, I bet. But that's a big mistake on Raimi's part. In AF#15, his non-action came from pure selfishness. Raimi added an element of (understandable) revenge to it.

Hell, that's worse than organic web-shooters, IMO.....he tainted Spider-Man's entire reason for being!

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 12 August 2009 at 11:43am

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 10  

And even if we give him THAT, the Robert Patrick terminator was all metal.

I wonder if James Cameron is lurking around here...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 11  

I do not believe Peter is 29. He is 24 at most.

••

As if that makes a difference, really. 29, 24, 35, whatever. He's still too old to be Spider-Man, in any kind of recognizable sense.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 12  

That brings up another big problem I had with the first Spider-Man movie - Raimi added that the wrestling event owner screwed Peter out of a large sum of cash, and that the robber stole from him before he ran past Peter. So that gave Peter a justification for letting the robber go. Most of us probably would have done the same under those same circumstances as well, I bet. But that's a big mistake on Raimi's part. In AF#15, his non-action came from pure selfishness. Raimi added an element of (understandable) revenge to it.

Hell, that's worse than organic web-shooters, IMO.....he tainted Spider-Man's entire reason for being!

••

Raimi spent a good chunk of his formative years in the last half of the Sixties and the first half of the Seventies -- the "decade" that most people are thinking of when they say "The Sixties" -- and that was the beginning of the era of denied responsibility. Spider-Man is all about responsibility -- almost to the point of pathology. Raimi's Spider-Man goes in the other direction entirely -- he talks the talk, and that's enough. (Same with Peter's smarts. As long as people say he's smart, he doesn't have to show he's smart. Classic bad filmmaking.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version