Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN / HIDDEN YEARS question for anyone (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

Here's the listing from chronology.net (edited to only include pertinent information):

QUOTE:
X-Men 66
Incredible Hulk 150 -- Havok vs. Hulk
Amazing Spider-Man 92
Avengers 88
Marvel Team-Up 4
Amazing Adventures 11-17 -- Beast turns blue 'n' fuzzy
Incredible Hulk 161
Avengers 110-111
Shanna the She-Devil 5
Fear 20
Incredible Hulk 172
Captain America 172-175 -- Cap/X-Men vs. Secret Society
Marvel Team-Up 23 --
Defenders 15-16 -- Magneto reverted to childhood
Avengers 137
Giant-Sized X-Men 1 -- The all-new, all-different X-Men!

I knew you were referencing continuity with the FF/Magneto story...but what title(s) was it referencing?

Back to Top profile | search

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

This thread provides me with another excuse to say how much I enjoyed the
Byrne/Palmer pairing.

--

Certainly was a good combo!!.  Although I couldn't tell you why, I think that #17 was the best art of the series.  It's one of those issues where I just amble my way through the pages trying to take it all in.

Edited by Chris Geary on 16 July 2009 at 2:55pm

Robert Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

I knew you were referencing continuity with the FF/Magneto story...but what title(s) was it referencing?

----------------

I'm not sure, but perhaps it could be from FF#104, which features Magneto prominently.

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks.  That's has to be it.  I guess a Magneto appearance doesn't count in the  X-Men chronology. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

The first issue of X-Men I recall reading was the issue that introduced Sauron. The next time I bought an issue it was in reprints and the villain was Lucifer. Not sure my 12 year old self noticed or cared about the costume "change".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

"X-Men 66
Incredible Hulk 150 -- Havok vs. Hulk
Amazing Spider-Man 92"

••

Hope that's not supposed to be chronological. Hulk 150 came out almost a year after ASM 92.

This is a problem we've often seen. George Olshevsky (sp) produced some listings of Marvel books, "indexes", and the compilers were not content to simply, well, compile. They had to figure out when things happened, based on their own arbitrary decisions. I have lost count of the number of times I have had to explain to an eager young fan that the chronologies presented in the Olshevsky indexes are in no way binding on those of us who write the comics.

Same with the rule books in RPGs, for that matter.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

Brad D:  Yeah, it was FF #102-104.

Gene Kendall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

I would guess that Classic X-Men, starting in the mid-80's, was probably the last successful reprint title.
----------------------

I seem to recall looking at the Statement of Ownership in one of the last issues of Classic X-Men and noticing that it sold over 100,000 copies a month.  This was when Marvel *cancelled* it in 1995.

Robert Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2009 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 9  

In a time before tpb's, Marvel's Greatest Comics, Marvel Triple Action, Marvel Super Action, etc. were the cheapest way to obtain these somewhat hard to acquire stories (for a 10 yr old, at least).

Ian Moss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2009 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

XHY was a great book.  I loved it.  I recall being confused as to why Marvel was publishing it at the time, though, since they were also so busy changing all the characters in the regular books to be more in-line with the current creative team's revamp of everything.  I seem to recall even that changed because of the movie.  It was like Marvel was trying to "forget" the past for these characters, but at the same time they were publishing a book anchored in the past.  XHY should make a return !!!

X-MEN HIDDEN YEARS FOREVER

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2009 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
X-MEN HIDDEN YEARS FOREVER

Ha!  I would like to see HIDDEN YEARS return before JB did any other X-Men title.

I dug out some issues of XHY last night and I discovered something that I don't think I admitted to myself when the series was coming out:  I don't like Tom Palmer's inks over JB in the series.  I appreciated the idea behind using him to recreate "the era" but I just didn't find them appealing.

JB, did you have any desire to have a different regular inker eventually?  I think it would have been neat to move toward a Dave Cockrum look as the title got closer in time to X-Men #94...or to just use another inker from the early 70's.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2009 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

I asked for Tom on XHY, and he gave me exactly the look I was after. I inked one issue myself --was it 16? -- because it "crossed over" with LOST GENERATION and I wanted a shot at inking some of that stuff -- and anyway I was so far ahead with the pencils Tom would not be "missing" a month while I did it.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version