Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN / HIDDEN YEARS question for anyone (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

My intro to Spider-Man and the FF were a pair of paperback sized reprint books that contained the first 6 issues of each title.Read 'em until the fell apart.

To this day, those first six issues of each are the purest, most "real" form of each book.
Back to Top profile | search

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

<<Why did Marvel continue the book for 5 years as a reprint book instead of canceling it outright?  <<

I had heard that the sales numbers for the Neal Adams run actually shot up AFTER the book had already been cancelled, but it was too late to keep the creative team, who had moved on - so keeping it as a reprint was in part, a responce to sales but lack of creators.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

I had heard that the sales numbers for the Neal Adams run actually shot up AFTER the book had already been cancelled, but it was too late to keep the creative team, who had moved on - so keeping it as a reprint was in part, a responce to sales but lack of creators.

••

Also true -- and typical of the mentality of the bean counters, even back then. Sales had spiked upwards -- so it must be because people had decided to start buying the book, right? But not because of whoever might be writing and drawing it.

And, as noted, with minimal costs, the break even probably didn't really even shift much!

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

I would guess that Classic X-Men, starting in the mid-80's, was probably the last successful reprint title.

--

That book was my first proper introduction to the X-men.  Just after it first came out there was a group of us staying at a friends house.  He had a huge stack of 'American' comics (the only ones I new here were the weekly Marvels - which I didn't know where reprints) the top of which were Classic X-men 1-5.  While everyone slept I read them all in one go, my own little secret world. 

When I got home later that day got out what little pocket money I had, trecked off to the local news agents and got Uncanny X-men #219 and X-factor #18.  At the time I didn't know who the 'real' group was as I wasn't aware of the span of time involved between what I read that morning and what I just got.  Even though the word 'Classic' was in the title, I didn't know it was referring to reprints, with a back-up story.  To me it was a two part story each drawn by a different artist.

Those were simpler days back then, 

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
I didn't know at the time I was reading stories that were almost ten years old.

JB, was this logic the reason that the X-Men appeared in their training uniforms in other titles while the reprints were in the book?  I could see an artist being asked to draw the X-Men at the time and simply grabbing the latest issue as reference.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

I have heard two versions of this. One is that artists (mostly Gil Kane but there were others) were pulling the wrong reference, and the other is that they were told to draw the X-Men in their "school uniforms" so that new readers would not be confused. There was, in those days, a genuine concern about allowing anyone and everyone quick and easy access to the books, you see, and not just setting up an endless circle jerk for the entrenched audience.

(In HIDDEN YEARS I planned to explain the switch in context. Had already begun to set it up, in fact, with Jean's reversion to her original uniform.)

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
One is that artists (mostly Gil Kane but there were others) were pulling the wrong reference

If I remember correctly, Gil drew quite a few covers for the reprint issues.  Makes me wonder if he put ANY thought into it when he would have been asked to draw the X-Men in other titles.

At a pretty young age I became pretty fascinated with this period of the X-Men.  (I even drew a "cover" for a comic I wanted to make about it.)  I really liked the 'street clothes look' that Gil Kane gave the team in Marvel Team Up #4.  HIDDEN YEARS was really a dream come true for me.  Any chance that you saw the team going "casual" like they were in MTU#4?  I'm pretty sure the X-Men were said to have "gone underground" in an X-Men chronology reference I read. (Though I have no idea if that would have been considered canon.) I may have incorrectly assumed that they were hiding in plain site.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 8  

HIDDEN YEARS was really a dream come true for me. Any chance that you saw the team going "casual" like they were in MTU#4?

••

Oh, you bet! I planned to visit each of the appearances the X-Men had made in other books while their own title was in reprint limbo. I wanted to retell those stories from the X-Men's perspective (as I did with the FF/Magneto story in my closing issues).

One of the things that was fun about XHY, of course, was that being set in the Past it was bound to neither real time nor "Marvel time". I could put as many issues of my book between those extracurricular activities as I wanted!

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

What's the deal with Jean's "bikini top" on the cover of
#78 or the yellow "shirts" on the covers back to #71 what
reference were they looking at for those?

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

I just need to say, JB, that you did a great job on Hidden Years, Well Done.
I can 'hear' the excitment that you still have for this title.
It's a friggin' shame that it ended, but it was great while it lasted.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

Since I started reading Marvel when Adams was first there, I missed the Lee-Kirby-Ditko era... so those early 70s reprints were just a treasure.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

This thread provides me with another excuse to say how much I enjoyed the
Byrne/Palmer pairing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version