Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Wolverines! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

At least I know that I'm not alone in missing the phantom white streak.

Marvel Select deluxe figures (IIRC)
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Adler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Actually (!!) if you look at the original story -- especially in the black and white ESSENTIALS -- you will see that it was always my intent that Logan have a white streak on the top, too. It was just colored (or more likely separated) incorrectly. "

This is something I've always meant to ask; what is color separation, actually? What's the process? And how can it go wrong?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Excellent "Days of Future Past" Wolverine!

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great stuff! Looking forward to the rest.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Days of Future Past"
---
Have you guys seen the "Days of MARVEL Past" ads?
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB, I'll have you know that this time you are...CORRECT!

••

I'm ALWAYS correct.

Just because the Universe sometimes perversely insists on disagreeing with
me. . . . . .

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

…what is color separation, actually? What's the process? And how can it go wrong?

••

You should probably be sitting down for this.

Nowadays, coloring and separations are virtually the same thing, everything being done on computer. But, in the days of past of which we speak…

The colorist would work on printed-size xeroxes, usually with water colors, sometimes with markers. These would then be "coded", writing the combinations of CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, gray) that were needed to create the colors. These "color guides" would then be sent to the separators. The separators were, quite literally, old ladies and bored housewives who would sit at benches, take the guides and copies of the art, and laying a sheet of vellum over the latter, black in all the areas that were to be whatever percentage was required of each color. Say, blue (cyan). So you'd end up with, usually, three sheets of vellum which would then be used to produce the blue plate. If the separator missed an area -- remember, this was all hand-and-eye -- Spider-Man might end up without pants on. If something was in the wrong place, Superman might turn green. Etc, etc. Potential for error and mischief was virtually unlimited.

And that's without even counting times plates got dropped (left out) or flopped (blue plate run as yellow, for instance).

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I like the drapery of the right arm and the extra age the face shows the best. Really cool.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Really enjoying seeing the Wolverines.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

At least I know that I'm not alone in missing the phantom white streak.

••

Coloring mistakes becoming carved in stone are legend. Roger Stern tells stories of times when he, as an editor, had to go into the bullpen and gather up all the incorrect reference he could find and replace it with the correct stuff. Because colorists, checking colors, would look at the last job, and if that was wrong, based on something that was wrong, based on something that was wrong. . .

At some point, for instance. Darkseid's arms and legs turned pink. Originally they were gray, like this face. When I came to do FOURTH WORLD, I had to fight to have them restored to their proper, original colors. The mistake had become canon. (Sort of in the same way characters with a lot of black in their costumes so often end up with a lot of blue in their costumes.)

Matt Adler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"...take the guides and copies of the art, and laying a sheet of vellum over the latter, black in all the areas that were to be whatever percentage was required of each color. Say, blue (cyan). So you'd end up with, usually, three sheets of vellum which would then be used to produce the blue plate."

My head hurts trying to visualize all this... so in other words, these sheets of vellum had no actual color on them, they just were arbitrarily designated as the "blue sheets", with the blue areas of a given piece of artwork marked in black? And they needed multiple sheets of vellum because each sheet would be designated as a different percentage of blue?

Now, forgive me, because again, I'm having trouble visualizing this... if vellum, as I understand it, is a kind of parchment, how would laying it on top of the xeroxed artwork aid them in designating which areas were which color? Were they transparent, like tracing paper? And were they then imprinted on actual metal plates which were used to stamp the color on the printed pages?  I have the feeling that I'm completely misunderstanding this.

But I gather the major stumbling block in all this, which was eventually solved by computers, was that they couldn't create a system of codes to represent every possible color combination, and send that info directly to the printer, because that would be too hard for a human being to keep track of.

Regarding the blue/black thing in character's costumes... Venom comes to mind, but is it also true that Spider-Man's costume was originally meant to be red and black, but it was simply too hard to consistently achieve in a way that looked good with the technology of the time?

Peyton Holden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

DOFP Wolverine...OUTSTANDING!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version