Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Kitty Pryde sells Kitty Pryde (from Scoop e-newsletter) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Kitty Pryde Puts X-Men #129 Up for Sale

Most people probably think it would be pretty cool to have a superhero named after them, but you might be surprised. The real Kitty Pryde, for whom John Byrne named the young, plucky mutant in X-Men #129, is not too thrilled.

Back in 1973 when she was a student at the Alberta College of Art in Calgary, one of her classmates was John Byrne, who would later prove to be one of the most popular X-Men artists in the series’ history.

“I first noticed John in our (still-life) classes. While the rest of us were drawing nudes, John was drawing sketches of Batman and Spider-Man. One day he told me he loved my name and promised when he became famous at Marvel Comics, he’d name his first character after me. I never thought anything of the compliment,” Pryde said.

In 1980, while Ms. Pryde was living in Toronto and pursuing her career, she received a package from Byrne. It contained one page of Byrne’s character designs for Kitty (which she auctioned off in 2001 for $4,500), plus a signed copy of issue 129 containing the character’s first appearance (now up for sale through MetropolisComics.com). The comic is signed “To Kitty, the real one. Thanks for the use of the name. John Byrne”.

The character Kitty started out as a teen with mutant abilities and eventually developed into a full-fledged superhero like so many of her mutant friends.

The real-life Kitty had her own powers.

Pryde is a renowned Canadian artist whose art has been featured in galleries around the world. From China to Grenada, and Baton Rouge to Boston, her art is well received. But no matter where she exhibits, someone will inevitably ask Pryde if she knows that there is a comic book mutant with the same name.

“I’m not amused by such recognition. I’m an artist. I want some credibility. I don’t want to seem to be basking in the notoriety this has brought me,” she said. “At least twice a month when giving credit cards, picking up dry cleaning or giving my name over the phone, I get, ‘Did you know there’s a comic book character…?’ This unsolicited notoriety has followed me across the country.”

“I was intrigued when Kitty called me to explain her situation and interest in selling the signed comic book. I had always heard that Kitty Pryde was named after one of Byrne’s friends. I researched the story further and decided this would be a very relevant piece of unique comic book history to offer to the comic book community. Metropolis is currently offering this comic book to the highest offer received in the next 2 weeks,” said Metropolis COO, Vincent Zurzolo. “If you are interested in purchasing this comic, contact me by email at vincentz@metropoliscomics.com or (212) 260-4147 ext 14 with your offer.”

Pryde is also autographing the newspaper clipping seen with this article, and it will be included with the purchase of the comic book.

To view Kitty Pryde’s copy of X-Men #129, click here.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Kitty's memory is a bit foggy. I met her on registration day for what would have been my fourth year at the Alberta College of Art. "Would have been" because I had dropped out halfway thru my third year. I was there on registration day meeting up with some friends I had not seen since the end of the previous school year. Kitty was then dating a former classmate of mine, and he introduced me. "Sounds like a great superhero name," I said. She was somewhat nonplussed, so my former classmate explained and she beamed with delight. "Feel free to use it!"

It was a lot of years later before I did. However, key point here was that she and I were in no classes together, and, seriously, I never, ever drew superheroes in class. I was too busy trying to learn how to draw. Something else that would not happen until years later.

It's unfortunate that Kitty has had problems because of the name, but, as the saying goes, who knew? Not me, when I created "my" Kitty!

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

Isn't it funny, Kitty Pryde, the character, is known by most fans under her "real" name and not her many code names, i.e. "Sprite," "Shadowcat," "Ariel"?

I wonder, had any one of the code names effectively stuck, would as many people know the name "Kitty Pryde" instead of calling the character by that code name?

Edited by Matt Hawes on 27 June 2009 at 3:23pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

Sad she doesn't realize what an honor she was given.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

I talked to her last year via email. She seemed quite nice. She is the godmother of one of my coworkers here.

I was surprised by the condition of the comic book though. I just assumed that it would be a pristine copy.

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

That's really a shame, that is funny though that her "real
name" is so catchy a code name is almost impossible. Funny
though how in the book everyone actually has their own
nickname for her, Katchen, Kitten, Katya, Punkin.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh Mr Byrne feel free to use my given name: Victoria Tempest

(it's not really my name , but mine isn't a cool comic book name, if you go with it, I will legally change mine to that.)

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

LOL, Jodi.

Man, if somebody named a comic character after me, I would be so honored.  It's made her immortal.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeremiah Hetherington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

...and one of the best characters ever conceived, ya ask me. Very appealing and unique.

Michael Tortorice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

Jodi, wouldn't that be "Victoria Tempest-Lucas?"

Just wonderin'...

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think it would be great to have a beloved comic book character named
after me. It's unfortunate that my name is so boring!

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2009 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

Heck I would love to have any character named after me.  Even if they died in their first issue!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version