Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: DeFalco and Mackie Bring Back the Clones (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

Man, Return of Parker era rocked too, all the way into the JB stuff and beyond!

In fact, I might be so bold as to say Spider-Man didn't have any bad extended periods in his publishing history until JMS.

(Biased though! He's my favorite character :-)  )
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

I got some issues of the Clone Saga. But it was for the artist doing the book and not necessarily for the story.

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

When I heard of it I though the idea incredible...but the execution was a bit off. I welcome the chance to see it again...good luck Howard.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Claudio Pahl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

I really think it's totally necessary. The Clone Saga was so much retconned and erased from marvel´s continuity that will be a really dead horse thing to bring it back. Don´t get me wrong, it will be just to justify the OMD thing, or even to confuse and finish the job of destroying Spider-man´s plan.

Marvel, sometimes has some ideas and just because Forever is there, doesn´t meant it has to be done with Clone saga and who will be next. The death of captain marvel, This EIC is something and not only the whole endless events and Dark stuff, now is flashback and nostalgia time.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

And absolutely, I'd love to have Ben back. Establish proof positive (as best you can in a super hero comic, anyway) that Ben is the clone and Peter is real so no one is worried about a repeat of Maximum Cloneage and have him being a supporting member in the main title or even his own book.

SER: It seems like that would be the ultimate in "de-uniqueing" of a character, though. Spider-Woman was bad enough, but another Peter Parker? Even with a different name and hair cut really undercuts the character.

It always struck me that Ben's popularity was more of a testament to how far astray Peter Parker had gone. Ben was single, down-on-his-luck, relatable in ways that Peter hadn't been in years.

As a concept, I wasn't entirely opposed to the idea of Ben turning out to be the "real" Peter Parker -- as a means of getting Peter Parker back on track. I disagreed with the fannish notion that this "negated" years of stories -- they still happened and it wasn't like it was all revealed to be a dream or something. The idea of Peter Parker being replaced and having someone else live his life is a big example of "hard-luck Parker."

Of course, it seemed Marvel chickened out on that, even when Jurgens arrived and launced Sensational Spider-Man -- new costume and a different name seems to shout "fake Spider-Man."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

I remeber not liking the reveal the Ben Rielly was the real deal and that Peter was the clone. But I hated it when it was later revealed that nope Ben was the clone all along.

I maybe wrong in my belief but i felt Marvel just gave in under pressure from the fans not being happy that Peter clone. I thought It was gutless to give in. I still liked Peter and really started liking Ben. His death was tragic

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

Don't forget that at the time, plenty of Spider-Man fans were still KIDS, and
not just older continuity freaks. If you tell a 12 year old that the Spider-Man
he's been reading about for even 7 months (an eternity at that age) they're
going to be really angry.

B. Morningway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Funny thing about "The Clone Saga". Many a time I have heard fans moan
and wail about how awful it was, yet to this day I have really not been able
to get a straight answer as to why. I think the "Saga" has become much
like the "Bad Byrne Stories". Dissing it has become a way of gaining "shop
cred". Once that happened, the whole thing took on a life of its own,
quite divorced from such petty considerations as reality!"
--------------------------------------------------------
Exactly! I have, on many an occasion, asked this of someone that has
stated that they didn't like the Clone Saga, and no real answer was given.
This type of thing really bugs the hell out of me. Why can people not think
for themselves? Its like they really want others to think that they know
what they are talking about, by parroting those that they believe are cool,
but they end up being anything but.

B. Morningway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Do you think the end of this new mini will be different from the original
one? Could they dare bring back Ben from the dead???

I'd love to have him back??

Whattasay Clone lovers?"
----------------------------------------------------------
I think it would be very interesting to have him back. And if you think about
it, you wouldn't really even have to do much of a story to make such a thing
happen. I give to you the "immortal" words of none other than Joe Quesada:
"It's magic. We don't have to explain it." ;)

Joss Wierzbicki
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

I love the fact that even after 13 years the Clone Saga still creates that much debate. I said it & I'll repeat it again: I am a BIG BIG Clone saga fan. It was a good saga. Never ever have I felt the writers disrespected the characters. And I disagree: Aunt May passing away was cleverly and emotionnally well-written. Who doesn't like De Matteis' writing, for cryin' out loud!!

I never felt embarrassed to say I liked this saga so why should I turn my back on it now?!

JB mentions the fact that people are individuals and should think for themselves. I couldn't agree more.

I can't say I hated such or such Clone storyline thoughout these 26 months of Clone "madness". Though I confess I loved the SM Lost Years mini by De Matteis & JRjr the most.

People say it was just crazy making Spidey fans believe they had read the adventures of the clone for the past 25 years after Ben was revealed to be the "real Mc Coy". You know what? Not only had I seen it coming right after the clone came back but I also was "happily" shocked & awed & grateful that Marvel  had the balls to pull up such a crazy twist.

And for quite some time Marvel did make me believe that Ben was the real Peter. I remember being utterly disgusted. But knowing that Peter, MJ & the baby would live happily ever after had made me so happy I thought his moving on with his new life was not as disgraceful a departure as Ben's future demise would be. Marvel did make me understand I truly cared for Peter. I thought it was greater than actually killing Peter off when no one would ever believe he'd truly die!

Then to put an end to this never-ending Young-and-the-restless-like storyline they brought back Norman. I thought that was pretty good too. It's a shame they killed off Ben but who knows... Maybe the ashes Peter saw in the (in) famous PPSM # 75 were not necessarily his... !!!

Hey Howard! Since you are a JBF member, care to give us some hints about Ben's return?? Admit it Howard... BEN REILLY IS COMING BACK !!!!!!! Yee-Pee!!

Edited by Joss Wierzbicki on 25 June 2009 at 2:59pm

Joss Wierzbicki
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

PS: for those still checking the entire CLONE SAGA check list move back to page 2 of this thread.

Joss Wierzbicki
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

Found THE Spidey-Clone checklist here:

http://www.spider-man.info/History/clonesagatimeline1.htm

And for those who are broke or are having sleepless nights check out this great site revealing behind-the-scenes editorial decisions during this saga:

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/search?updated-min= 2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2009-01-01T0 0%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=36

Edited by Joss Wierzbicki on 25 June 2009 at 4:44pm

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version