Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: DeFalco and Mackie Bring Back the Clones (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

TO: Glenn Greenberg

PS: Now that I realize that Glenn Greenberg is on JB's forum I can tell him "face to face" I actually met you in August 1995 at the Marvel offices. You had been very nice to me. You'd taken a pic of me with Bob Harras and Bob had taken a pic of you and me. You even had given me a xeroxed page of an as yet unreleased copy of Untold Tales of Spidey drawn by Pat Oliffe. All the interns working with you were very nice people too. Of course, as a French man and a comic addict that's a day I'll never forget!

And I remembered having asked you this fateful question: "Glenn please tell me it's a hoax, that Ben CAN NOT be the original Peter Parker, right?"

To which you'd answered "I'm afraid that's true". But honestly did you know for sure at the time that Ben's identity was an unquestionable fact?

Oh and I read all your comments on the lifeofreilly website: brilliant.

You know what? I got all the ASM issues straight from # 190 up to now and the Spidey-Clone saga still remains my favorite storyline like... EVER!!

I wish Ben a great welcome back to the MU

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

I just finished my big Clone Saga re-read, and found a pretty easy out for Ben's death.  Ben gets knocked out by Osborn at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #418 and isn't seen again until about midway through Spider-Man #75 (where he's pretty thoroughly killed--beaten almost to death, then impaled on a goblin glider, then dropped off a tall building...everything short of beheading him and setting him on fire, I think).  That's plenty of time for Osborn to have swapped Ben out with yet another clone, isn't it?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

Once again, I offer that we should change Howard Mackie's monicker to
"Send in the clones".

MPH
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

Wizard told them it was bad.

••

There's a strata of fandom that reminds me of that scene in THE LIFE OF BRIAN:

"You're all individuals!" "We're all individuals!"

Pity WIZARD turned out to be the Judas Goat of the industry.

Slightly O/T, but Speaking of THE LIFE OF BRIAN, I sometimes think of THIS scene & the way that some folks are treated by Wizard & the likes no matter what ..

Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!
Brian: Now, fuck off!
[silence]
Arthur: How shall we fuck off, O Lord?

Edited by Robbie Patterson on 10 July 2009 at 7:07pm

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

There's a strata of fandom that reminds me of that scene in THE LIFE OF BRIAN:

Brian: "You're all individuals!"

Crowd: "We're all individuals!"

Random Voice: "I'm not."

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2009 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Joss Wierzbicki wrote:
I actually met you in August 1995 at the Marvel offices. You had been very nice to me.

Glad to hear it, Joss! You must have caught me on a good day. :-)

QUOTE:
Joss Wierzbicki wrote:
You'd taken a pic of me with Bob Harras and Bob had taken a pic of you and me.

Post those photos here if you can. I'd love to see them!

QUOTE:
Joss Wierzbicki wrote:
I remembered having asked you this fateful question: "Glenn please tell me it's a hoax, that Ben CAN NOT be the original Peter Parker, right?"

To which you'd answered "I'm afraid that's true". But honestly did you know for sure at the time that Ben's identity was an unquestionable fact?

At the time, it was definitely our intention that Ben would be the original Peter Parker. I even said as much in the letters page of the first issue of UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN. But since you've read the Life of Reilly columns, you know all this already, right? :-)

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm glad I skipped all those clone books a decade ago, because now I get to read the story as it was originally intended. 

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2009 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 8  

The moment I heard Ben Reilly would be revealed as the real Spider-Man, I dropped comics altogether. It was too tough for my 14 year-old mind to grasp that the hero I'd loved literally since I could remember wasn't "real."

Looking back, I still like the idea of a guy like Ben Reilly being around, and that costume was killer, but I still want Pete to be Pete. Let Ben be his own man, y'know?

Having said that, I won't be reading this since it's current Marvel, which makes the revelation of Ben being the real Spider-Man look like ... well, a lot better than a deal with the devil and Norman becoming a Lex rip-off.

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 11 July 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 9  

<<Once again, I offer that we should change Howard Mackie's monicker to
"Send in the clones".

MPH>>

Thanks, but I am very happy with it the way it is. Truth in advertising is a wonderful thing.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

"glad I skipped all those clone books a decade ago, because now I get to read the story as it was originally intended.  "

It may have been a mess, but it was a glorious mess and JRjr drew a lot of it. Some of the comics were even JRjr inked by JRsr (and the other artists weren't bad either). Let me just say that as noble failures go, this one's a gem. If it hadn't failed and suffered the enormous backlash it did, it would be a high ranked Spider-man run and you'd see Omnibus editions of it, based on the quality of the execution.

Matt Adler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 11  

"Just a reminder to Ben Reilly fans everywhere that you need to go out an pick up multiple copies of Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36."

I'll have a full review of this up Wednesday, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised; this was a very respectful and conscientious attempt to bring the Clone Saga back into the mainline. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Also, part 2 of my Tom D. Clone Saga interview just went up; let me know what you guys think.

http://aintitcool.com/node/41679

Andrew Goletz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2009 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

Great interview, Matt. I hope this book sells beyond expectations and Tom (and the rest of us) get our ongoing Reilly series wish.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version