Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: DeFalco and Mackie Bring Back the Clones (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

I saw the list... and the only thing I have is Spider-Man Lost Years.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

Norman Osborn should have stayed dead. One of comics many deaths that I think should have been permanent.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

Peter Parker from 1986/1987 onward was a hard act to convince he was suffering a losing streak. He had a super model wife, good job as a photographer, was having a book published on his Spider-Man pictures, and nationwide recognition.

What did he have to whine about?? He looked pathetic if he was complaining about that lot in life.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB wrote:
Funny thing about "The Clone Saga". Many a time I have heard fans moan and wail about how awful it was, yet to this day I have really not been able to get a straight answer as to why.

The technical merit was certainly there, aside from that rough patch in the middle, but I hated the key twist (the Peter Parker I'd read about my entire life wasn't the real one) and the ending (return of Norman Osborn).  Not liking those lowers my opinion of the whole shebang pretty thoroughly. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Do you think the end of this new mini will be different from the original
one? Could they dare bring back Ben from the dead???

I'd love to have him back??

Whattasay Clone lovers?"

If this is supposed to be the original planned story, the ending should be different than what we got, but I don't believe it'll be affecting current continuity at all. 

I don't care if they bring Ben back or not, but I'd wonder what the point was.  His purpose was to bring back "single Spider-Man."  Marvel's already done that.  So how would Ben stand out? 

Andrew Goletz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Found THE Spidey-Clone checklist here:

http://www.spider-man.info/History/clonesagatimeline1.htm

And for those who are broke or are having sleepless nights check out this great site revealing behind-the-scenes editorial decisions during this saga:

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/search?updated-min= 2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2009-01-01T0 0%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=36  

Thanks for the good word, man. I've been working on the book for a couple years now and it's pretty much done (except for some major editing) and will now feature interviews and commentary from about 20 creators/editors who worked on the books.

After getting a chance to speak to Howard (and Terry) back in February, I'm quite happy that he's getting a chance to work with Tom on the 'writer's cut' and can't wait to read it

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Goletz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2009 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
I don't care if they bring Ben back or not, but I'd wonder what the point was.  His purpose was to bring back "single Spider-Man."  Marvel's already done that.  So how would Ben stand out? 

I think it'd be hilarious if he came back and was married to Janine and had a baby girl and was maybe working as a scientist.

I think making Ben Reilly stand out and be interesting now is up to the writers. There are plenty of stories to tell about a man with great abilities who remembers much of a life that he didn't really experience and doubts whether he deserves a life at all.

Hell, even a Lost Years ongoing would be amazing.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Adler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2009 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

I just have to chime in, and say that I too am psyched about this; so psyched in fact that I'm doing a series of interview with the principals involved in this new project; Tom, Howard, and Todd. The first part of the Tom DeFalco interview just went up:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41609

The interviews with Howard and Todd are coming soon as well.

And I also want to add that the interviews owe a lot to Andrew Goletz and Glenn Greenberg; the Life of Reilly was invaluable in doing research for them. Andrew or Glenn, if you're reading, e-mail me!

Edited by Matt Adler on 07 July 2009 at 5:43pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Clint Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

I was a big Ben Reiley as Spider-Man fan.  It was a great jumping on point when he dropped the Scarlet Spider outfit.  And I for one love the Spider-Man 2.0 costume.  It really annoyed me when they killed him instead of allowing a character to just go away.  But it is comics, they can bring him back with a wave of a pencil.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

I've been re-reading the whole Clone Saga over the past couple of weeks, and what really jumps out at me is the fact that it so completely took over the Spider-books at the time.  Every new villain introduced tied in with the clone stuff, every subplot was about the clone stuff, every thought balloon and caption dealt with the clone stuff--if you weren't enjoying that aspect of the comics, you were pretty much out of luck for two whole years.  There were occasional standalone issues that didn't have a whole lot to do with clones, but those were few and far between.

As far as storytelling is concerned, I suppose that the Superman titles with the four replacement Supermen story was pretty comparable, but was more satisfying to casual readers.  There was an ongoing story connecting everything, and there were new characters introduced left and right, but you really got a sense of who Steel, Superboy, Eradicator and the Cyborg were, and why you should want to read their comics from week to week. 

If the Clone Saga came along now, weaving through four books at $2.99 or $3.99 each, jerking the reader around for two years, I'm sure I'd have bailed out on it pretty quickly.  At the time, though, the books were $1.50 or $1.95 a pop, and I was a college student with disposable income, so I was much more inclined to stick with something that had new installments published every week. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

The only thing that i missed was the Osborn Journal....

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2009 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think I only missed out on 101 Ways to End the Clone Saga and a handful of New Warriors appearances and some Spider-Man Unlimited issues.  Probably could've done without Funeral For An Octopus, the Jackal Files, most of the Spider-Man Unlimiteds, Maximum Clonage...man, that stuff added up, didn't it?

Storywise, the one thing I really can't get behind is the notion that "our" Peter Parker would so completely flip out when he discovered that he was actually a clone, and that Ben Reilly was the original (a decision that was reversed after about a year).  He's a superhero through and through for his whole life, and after one bad lab report, he's throwing Mary Jane around the room, picking fights with everyone, flirting with the Gwen Stacy clone and giving serious thought to whether or not he should help the Jackal kill off most of the world's population.  That was the most far-fetched part of the entire Clone Saga, as far as I'm concerned.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version