Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Marvel 70th Anniversary Hall of Fame (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

Pretty good list, Robert.  Maybe there's too many people on it, though.  I still say Larry Lieber is not really a hall of famer.  In baseball parlance he's a solid fielder with a career .250 average who had a good long career as a role player for some team but was never a star.  Same for Vince Colletta.  I think quality and influence have to be weighed with volume of work, and Colletta fails in those areas.  And I don't know that I'd say Denny O'Neil did hall of fame work as a writer for Marvel.

I don't think it makes sense to include staff people.  Why Sol Brodsky but not John Verpoorten or Morrie Kuramoto or Lennie Grow?  We don't really know enough about their respective contributions to say one is more important than the other.  You can judge a writer or artist's work by what's on the page, but how does one judge a staffer?  And Flo Steinberg... she was Stan's secretary for 3 or 4 years.  Stan made her a character by writing about her on the Bullpen Bulletins, and she reportedly was an extremely nice person, but does that make her more important than dozens of other secretaries that have worked there?

Hey, why does Sam Rosen make your list but not Joe? (I always get those guys mixed up).
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

I hate that the actual comics have been overshadowed by the name of the creators. This is a case of the company's selling the creators and not the company owned characters. Priest was absolutely right when he said that the average non comic book reading kid does not know or care who the latest popular creators of a comic book is, but that same kid knows who Spider-Man is.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

Jason - There was a nice article about Flo Steinberg in the same Anniversary magazine.  It mentioned how she and Stan were the only two office employees and she would answer all the mail, and this was instrumenting in building the fan base (especially with the addition of the mail from the Merry Marvel Marching Society in 1964).

Sol Brodsky and Marie Severin were the production staff.  Brodsky was Lee's assistant and the Production Manager, and did things like art corrections, inking (when needed) and logos.  Eventually he worked his way up to Vice President before his death in 1984.

Marie Severin did it all!  Art (NOT BRAND ECHH!, DOCTOR STRANGE, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, SUB-MARINER, MUPPET BABIES and more), coloring, inking, lettering and post-production art. She was perhaps as talented as any of the 'name artists' working for Marvel at the time.

I don't have a problem with including production staff as long as it's clear that they made a major contribution.  These three clearly did and there were undoubtably many others who did in later years.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 4  

Oh, I love Marie Severin's work.  Forget staff, I think she belongs in the HOF for her artwork alone.  Loved her Hulk and King Kull and Not Brand Ecch. 

I still think it's hard to gauge the value of staff for something like a HOF.  A production manager is always important.  Verpoorten was production manager in the 70's, a time when the company was growing exponentially in terms of the volume of books it put out.  Should he be in?  A production manager is always important, so how do you determine if he's a HOF production manager or not?

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 3:23am | IP Logged | 5  

I guess it's kind of funny that Martin Goodman, without who there would be no Marvel, is not on the list either.

Edward Binn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 6  

TIMELY-ATLAS ARTISTS

Dick Ayers, John Buscema, Gene Colan, Vince Colletta, Bill Everett, Dick Giordano, Al Hartley, Don Heck, Jack Kirby, Joe Maneely, Jay Scott Pike, John Romita, John Severin and Al Williamson were the pioneers of comics and should be on everyone's hall of fame list.  

E. Allen Sant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 7  

Where's Joe Simon?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 8  

Fourth on the list.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 9  

No Stern, no Michelinie, no Andru... and, seeing certain names I'll not mention, that seems a "hall of lame"...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 10  

Writers and artists come and go, but in order to maintain readership you need the readers to be loyal to your characters.  Stan Lee knew that.  He certainly promoted his artists (and himself) quite well, but he knew the fans were there for Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Thor, etc.

Robert Bradley,

I agree with you 100%!  :-)

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 11  

Robert,

And speaking of Flo Steinberg, Comic Book Artist #18, FEB 2002!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2009 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 12  

i'm not surprised by this flawed Hall of Fame list. M****l these days doesn't
have the consideration to its past history one would expect.

We shouldn't expect much from this company anymore. What you see is
what you get.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version