Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Marvel 70th Anniversary Hall of Fame (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

After sitting down and thinking about it and going over some of the suggestions here, I have come up with my own arbitrary......

LIST OF MOST EGREGIOUS OMISSIONS!

WRITERS
Dave Michelinie
Roger Stern

ARISTS
Dan Adkins
Ross Andru
Rich Buckler
Dan DeCarlo
Stan Goldberg
Al Hartley
Bob Layton
P. Craig Russell
George Tuska

INKERS
Vince Colletta
Mark Farmer
Frank Giacoia
George Klein
George Roussos
Syd Shores

LETTERERS
Tom Orzechowski
Sam Rosen
Artie Simek
John Workman

A couple of things that I think you really have to weigh if you're going to make a list for a 'Marvel Hall of Fame'

1. Length of time with Marvel.  Whether you think it's 5 years, 10 years or 20 years, there should be some sort of minimum for the length of time working for Marvel.  I think 10 years is a good number, but it's arbitrary of course so any number that's agreed upon would be a good starting point.

2. Active creators should have a body of work that meets the chosen standards in order to avoid choosing the 'flavor of the month'.

3. There are exceptions.  For instance - Joe Maneely's career was a relatively brief one (less than 10 years) but his work was extraordinary.  If you have a 10-year qualifier and leave out a guy like Maneely, you're over-thinking things.  Also, there are creators like Carl Burgos, Neal Adams, Jim Steranko and Alex Schomberg who contributions were very significant, but they either disn't stay with Marvel for an extended period because they worked for other compaies or in other fields.

At any rate, there's a good list to be made, but Marvel's 70th anniversary Hall of Fame comes up a little short.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 30 April 2009 at 7:22am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

I enjoy Frank Quitely but is he really famous for being a Marvel artist?

The exclusion of Roger Stern is ridiculous. The guy wrote all the biggest
titles and was a powerhouse for the company.
Back to Top profile | search

Jay Famous
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2009 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

I gotta think that Stern's omission on this list was just a glitch somewhere along the way. I can't imagine that he's actually being left out.

Will Hansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

John Severin's work on westerns and war comics for decades for Marvel should have given him a place on this list.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2009 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

John Severin did more inking than penciling for Marvel, but his work was always terrific.  I especially loved his inking on Sgt. Fury and on The Incredible Hulk.

To bad most new fans would probably only be familiar with his art on that dreadful Rawhide Kid series!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2009 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't know what Rob is doing there, unless making a blue jean commercial is enough to get you in.

+++

Oh come on. That's hardly all he did. I don't like Liefield's work and I don't care that his star has fallen drastically but let's not start misrepresenting the past.

+++

Your right Jay, Rob was influential in his time at Marvel. But, without that commercial and a talk show appearance I don't feel that he would have had the influence that he came to have. Granted this just my opinion, but nobody in my LCS knew who he was until those happened. I always believed that Marvel pushed his books to take advantage of the TV appearances. Also keep in mind that his star fell because he got the rep of being a swipe artist. Does that deserve a spot on this list?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeremiah Hetherington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 7  

Where's Ed Hannigan?

Jon Refson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 8  

Say what you like about how he handled Alpha Flight after JB's run, but Bill Mantlo surely deserves to be on for his long run on the Hulk with Sal Buscema?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 9  

Robert gets most of the omissions I could think of, some of which border on the criminal (Stern, Layton and Micheline) but what about Glynis Oliver?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Horn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 10  

Erik Larson and Rob Liefield?  PFFT!

At least they put Kurt Busiek on there.

Steve Horn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:23am | IP Logged | 11  

They can put Grant Morrison on the list but no Roger Stern?  Now I know the list is phoney.  NO MIKE W. BARR?  Also, anybody remember the Frank Robbins/Dick Giordano run on the Invaders?

Edited by Steve Horn on 30 April 2009 at 3:29am

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:51am | IP Logged | 12  

Most of the Image Gang belong on that list, I'm not questioning that. I'm more concerned with omissions than who actually got on.
It's like those "best movies ever lists" that feel obligated to list standards like Citizen Kane and The Godfather and a few other real classics, but then overload the list with recent releases, very few of which will still be remembered 10 years later. A lot of truly great movies get ignored on those lists too, in favor of the hot new thing.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version