Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne wrote:
 Michael Roberts wrote:
…a college fling of Bruce Banner's…

This would be the Bruce Banner who was so shy his head practically
exploded if Betty Ross so much as spoke to him?

This was written by the author who psycho-babbled Banner and Hulk to death for over a decade, had Banner speaking to the Hulk in his mind during high school years before the Gamma Bomb accident, and had Banner contemplate and nearly execute a Columbine-style bombing of his high school.  In other words, it was written by PAD.  'Nuff said.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 2  

Sorry, but...what?
Aside from the "psycho-babble" stuff, I can't recall reading your interpretation of certain "events".

In which issue did PAD have "Banner speaking to the Hulk in his mind during high school years before the Gamma Bomb accident?"

And I also cannot recall "Banner contemplate and nearly execute a Columbine-style bombing of his high school."

You may be right & I'm just forgetting something, but I'd certainly appreciate it if you (or anyone) can point these issues out for me.

If I glossed over something like that, then shame on me!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 3  

What did folks think of the early 1980s series The Savage She-Hulk? I've only read a couple of issues, but it seems that Marvel hadn't really nailed down the character yet. Anyone have any thoughts about that short-lived title?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 4  

Paul W. Sondersted Jr. wrote:
I'd certainly appreciate it if you (or anyone) can point these issues out for me.

INCREDIBLE HULK Vol 2.  #77 - 81.  "Tempest Fugit".  Written by PAD.  Pencils by Lee Weeks.  Inks by Tom Palmer.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 5  

So, Banner now has had flings and illegitimate kids? All of the previous stuff was bad enough (the afforementioned psychobabble, the planned high school bombing, etc.), but this is ridiculous. A good deal of PAD's work does not feature a Bruce Banner that I know--or would care to know.

I am sooooooo glad I don't read Marvel books anymore.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 6  

Bruce Buchanan wrote:
What did folks think of the early 1980s series The Savage She-Hulk? I've only read a couple of issues, but it seems that Marvel hadn't really nailed down the character yet. Anyone have any thoughts about that short-lived title?

I'm one of the few folks who loved it. That first series struck a chord with me and I ended up following her to any title she was on, even a guest appearance.  For years, I bought anything and everything to do with She-Hulk.  So I actually came to JB's work on the title as a fan of the character already. Like I said, though, I'm in the minority. The character didn't click with a ton of people, that's why her first series only lasted 25 issues!

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 7  

She-Hulk having sex with the Juggernaut?

Bruce Banner as a deadbeat dad? Wanting to shoot up a school?

What's next? Prof. X sexually molesting mutants?

Who's giving the green light for this BS at M*****?

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 8  

Wasn't it during Roy Thomas' tenure as EIC and Avengers scribe that Marvel took on the dubious concepts of Earth-S, Earth-B, and Counter-Earth? That was some time ago...

I certainly didn't know that. I guess it didn't go too far.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 9  

I thought it was ok, but not as good as Dazzler.  (I say that without sarcasm; at the time (very early 80's), Dazzler was one of my favorite titles).

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

You're rigth Bruce. But anyway, it was enough for me to get "caugth" by it. I still enjoy it.
Then JB took care of the character and showed something "obvious" : that the way She-Hulk should be.

I thought it was ok, but not as good as Dazzler.  (I say that without sarcasm; at the time (very early 80's), Dazzler was one of my favorite titles).

I enjoyed it too. To be fair (and that apears to me when i get the essential), Dazzler meet more super heroes. It was like the whole MU supported the title.

And to stay on topic, She-Hulk meet Dazzler in one issue.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

Matt Reed wrote: INCREDIBLE HULK Vol 2.  #77 - 81.  "Tempest Fugit".  Written by PAD.  Pencils by Lee Weeks.  Inks by Tom Palmer.

-----

Ahhh. The PAD Hulk issues AFTER his original run...

That particular storyline was a "manipulation" by Nightmare.

Here's a quote...

"All you know is governed by your memories, Hulk. And some of them are real...and some of them, well...are such stuff as dreams are made of. I brought you here to torment you as one of several paybacks for inconveniences you've cost me. And to tell you whatever you think you know...may or may nor be real."

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

Maybe a manipulation by Nightmare. Maybe not.  Never said one way or another.  Key line in that dialog that you quoted "And to tell you whatever you think you know...may or may not be real."

In any event, I just can't see writing any of that taking the Banner we know, or thought we knew prior to PAD writing him, into consideration.  Great Weeks/Palmer art.  Horrible story.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version