Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Q: JB and She-Hulk (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2009 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

What about Erica Durance from Smallville ? she could play Jennifer Walters. She's got moxy!!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2009 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

Erica Durance is too "hot" to play Jennifer Walters. Jennifer Walters is more mousy and plain. Not unattractive, just not a showstopper. Of the gals on Smallville, Allison Mack is closer to Jennifer Walters in that respect (Okay, so I'd say she's actually pretty hot, but in Hollywood Casting terms she's the perfect "mousy and plain best friend". )

Besides, in casting Jennifer Walters they'd be better off with a relative unknown. She Hulk likes to be She Hulk all of the time. The more high profile an actress they cast as Jennifer, the more screen time she gets. The hotter the actress they cast as Jennifer, the more screen time she gets.

I'm afraid that even though there are actresses we know of who could do a great turn as a Jennifer Walters who's a supporting act or counterpoint to She Hulk, none of them should be cast. With Hulk. Hulk and Banner are equal leads. In She Hulk, Jennifer Walters is the character in the Pilot Episode who gets dropped for the regular series.

Back to Top profile | search

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2009 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Erica Durance? Could be...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeremy Shaffer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2009 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

...you could make her a tad more reserved while she's Jen, before she gets all Gamma Ray'ed up....then she'll go full extrovert... shoot her to be taller than Rock and ..bulk her up. not too masculine on the muscles, I still want her to look female...

ok, somebody call their agents, run it up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes. (it's not like Rock has had a hit in a while)

anyway, here's a quick Photoshop picture

Leave some feedback, maybe J.B. will start to get interested?

Edited by Jeremy Shaffer on 28 April 2009 at 5:52am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 5  

Erica Durance sounds good to me. She would need to bulk up a bit but she may be able to pull off the sardonic and sexy vibe. The alternative is finding an attractive female bodybuilder that can act. Probably a big ask.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 6  

It's a bit thinking outside the box, maybe, but I think Tyra Banks would make a good She-Hulk -- she is sassy, extroverted, has shown she can act and is physically imposing enough to give it a go. Give her six-inch heels and cast everyone else short and you wouldn't even need to worry too much about forced perspective and the like.

edited to correct the spelling of 'physically' which I've managed to get wrong twice now...doh!

Edited by Peter Martin on 28 April 2009 at 5:49am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 7  

On the "is She-Hulk funny" sub-thread, JB made her funny. There was nothing particularly humorous about the character before her own series showed how to have fun with Jen and her world.

One of the things I really disliked about Peter David's run was that everything JB and Dan Slott did to make her fun and different was tossed aside in the first few pages of PAD's first issue.

But there is nothing intrinsically humorous about our green lady; it was JB that made her funny.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 8  

Also, I agree with the sentiment of the board: the hotter the actress, the less "She-Hulk" we'd get in the finished film. And the movie isn't named "Jennifer Walters" after all.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 9  

"But there is nothing intrinsically humorous about our green lady; it was JB that made her funny."

Not humorous. Not "she acts funny" or "she looks funny". She is funny, as in she's witty. She makes observations about herself and others around her that are clever, insightful and funny. And sometimes she lands in situations that are funny precisely because she's not a humorous but a serious character.  No-one's saying she's a clown. Spider-man is funny. He makes  a lot of jokes. She Hulk is funny in only a slightly different way.  

Except when Peter David writes her, of course. (Say aren't we about due an issue of She Hulk where he throws out a few "funny" lines about She Hulk wanting to have sex with the Hulk?)

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 10  

I always thought that She-Hulk was more like Superman in that her inner-beauty was amplified by the gamma radiation to outer beauty.  She became the ultimate(green) female form and wasn't all bulked up just because she was strong.  The Hulk gets more and more muscular but She-Hulk is(was?) super strong without looking like she was super strong(like Superman).

If that holds true, any tall beautiful woman could be painted green for the role.  I personally don't care about seeing non-She-Hulk Jennifer Walters in much of the film.  "My" She-Hulk is the one that likes being She-Hulk and never changes back.  The Dan Slott issues were fun but I certainly prefer the FF run by JB in terms of how I'd define She-Hulk.  I really don't care about seeing a small actress turn into the She-Hulk.  Which everyone knows they will a) burn up time and effort into making the newest standard in movie-making visual transformation and b) a cheap thrill excuse to show boobs, butt or whatever bursting out of clothing.

Unfortunately, the movie will focus on her origin and be a boring story that doesn't get it right anyway.

As far as who I would cast though, Cory Everson(toned down) or Cindy Crawford were always my defacto choices.  Too old now but any beautiful, tall actress would be fine.  I'd rather see She-Hulk than Jennifer Garner(or whoever) as She-Hulk.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 11  

okay, I found my choice.  She's probably a little on the mature side but the green could cover a lot of that up.  I've always liked her as an actress though(simply fell in love with her on STNG when she was a "gift" and also in Goldeneye).  She can be sweet or strong or whimsical from what I've seen and she's one of the taller actresses out there at 5'11".  She isn't "A" list but she would fit right in line with some of the other name selections that Marvel has been selecting for it's characters.  Actually, her Hollywood status sort of fits in line with She-Hulk's Marvel status.  Not quite an "A" lister but a very well known commodity.  Here's a quick, poorly done, paint shop image of....Famke Jansen.
(p.s. I know she was already Jean Grey but this would be a perfect opportunity for Marvel to re-cast that character correctly.  Famke was a terrible choice for that character and had absolutely no chemistry with Cyclops or Wolverine)

Edited by Andy Mokler on 28 April 2009 at 6:52am

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2009 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 12  

All those pictures look just wrong.  She-Hulk should be a body builder but NOT that huge, and on the other side of the coin she shouldn't look like a regular fit actress.  There are tons of beauties who are fit and looks great and would be perfect for the character, unless you guys are geared toward a goofy She-Hulk character who is going to be laughed at and not taken seriously then I think those choices are good. 

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version