Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Diminished Expectations (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Historically, comics have done well during times of economic upheaval.

Of course, I use the word "comics" here to mean mass market periodicals
aimed at the widest possible readership, not elitist pamphlets targeted at an
aging and shrinking audience.
Back to Top profile | search

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 2  

Any millionaires out there want to start up a comic company aimed at getting low-cost comics into Wal-Marts, Targets and 7-11s? If we go back to newsprint and 4-over-1 covers, I bet we could get the per-comic cost down to 1$.

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 3  

There has been talk of "Aren't all print media in the same boat?" and "Kids are not interested as they all play video games."

I present the fastest growing segment of popular fiction book market...

Young Adult, that is ages 10-16...exactly the market that is missing from the comic book industry.  Sure, they still play their video games, and sports.  But, a well written story involving engaging characters and they are there.

The comic book industry needs to print affordable(all-in-one or just two part stories would help) all ages stories (not kiddie books, just not wildly inappropriate borderline stroke mags), and get them out where the kids are.

Don

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Mays
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 4  

CJ Grebb wrote:
Any millionaires out there want to start up a comic company aimed at getting low-cost comics into Wal-Marts, Targets and 7-11s? If we go back to newsprint and 4-over-1 covers, I bet we could get the per-comic cost down to 1$.

I would be curious what would happen if kid-friendly versions of some of the popular stories of today were released at the venues you mention? By kid-friendly I don't mean making them look like Looney Tunes comics, I just mean making something I would let my infant son read when he is old enough. Drop the heavier sexual overtones, take down the gore levels, and make the stories move more quickly and I think they'd compete with the Pokemon crowd pretty easily.

Brings back memories of Ross Andru Spider-Man comics my mom bought me after swimming lessons one summer!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 5  

Them's fightin' words, Robert! But seriously, you defeated your own point with "still incredibly popular in other media." THAT'S the problem -- the comic characters created in the past are seen as kitsch by the larger, mainstream adult public, and they're seen as movie/video-game characters by kids.

Here in the Far East, kids (to some extent), but especially teens and uni students -- male and female -- cram into comic book libraries and shops all around the cities (esp. near universities) all hours of the day and until midnight every night, reading comics, which remain a thriving, popular industry. Why? The stories and characters are relevant to them, not to their grandparents.

---

This is nonsensical. You are arguing that people don't read American comics because the characters are irrelevant, but flock to them in other media because the characters are irrelevant. The Dark Knight and Iron Man box offices aren't indicative of the general public screaming for kitsch. If the popular media with kids are TV, movies, and video games, their perception of Batman as a movie/video game character would indicate that Batman is relevant to them.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 6  

Of course, I use the word "comics" here to mean mass market periodicals
aimed at the widest possible readership, not elitist pamphlets targeted at an
aging and shrinking audience.

When I was very young, as far back as three-four years old, I had older relatives who had comics and I was introduced to them that way. I'm sure this wasn't atypical, i.e., that the older generation of readers passed on that love of reading the comics to the next generation.

Are there any statistics showing how many (if any) kids 8-13 are buying-reading comics today?

Would aiming at the old readers mean having to create (almost) from scratch an entirely new young fan-base? Is that possible?

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 7  

I think a large portion of the Dark Knight Returns and Iron Man audiences were folk who heard about decent stories, and couldn't care less about the comic book origins of the material.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Mays
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 8  

Michael Penn wrote:
When I was very young, as far back as three-four years old, I had older relatives who had comics and I was introduced to them that way. I'm sure this wasn't atypical, i.e., that the older generation of readers passed on that love of reading the comics to the next generation.

I want to do the same with my son, born this last September. The day after he was born I went to the comic book store and bought 3 comics for him: Star Wars Clone Wars, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, and Super Friends.

As I read through the Spider-Man issue I wondered why this couldn't be one of the regular Spider-Man titles.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
The future lies in the widest possible distribution of product aimed at the
widest possible potential readership. Without that, questions of format
become meaningless.

There's no wider distribution than on the internet these days!  The fact that more kids don't purchase comics online is less a distribution issue, and more a non-interest issue (either due to the content or format of a comic itself).

Edited by Greg Reeves on 02 February 2009 at 10:35am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 10  

There's no wider distribution than on the internet these days!

••

However, is is a bit like someone in 1880 saying the automobile is the
future of the horse. Transferring comicbook publishing to the internet is
abandoning comicbooks. Abandoning the whole zeitgeist of
comicbooks.

I'm not ready to do that.

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 11  

coming to the conversation a bit late so there's a couple of points I'd like to chime in on.

In regard to the paper, I believe that the reason it was stated for the change was that there was a shortage of newsprint and that if that was to be used, the price would be even higher.  I don't know how true this was, but I know it was said.  I think if I remeber rightly some of the X titles were printed in two different formats.  Almost like normal and HD.  But I can't remeber why, and how long it lasted.

Also, I think the problem with electronic distribution is that there is nothing to hold on to.  Whatever it is you're reading, holding in it your hands is a large part of the experience.  Music is the only thing that will really be accepted because it's not for the hands and eyes.  Once you press play, it doesn't matter if it's CD, Vinyl, Tape or 8-Track, or download.  The end product is the same.

Reading a book, comic or magazine is just not the same when read on a computer screen, even if it's portable.  This idea was even said to be stupid in the film 'Big' when it was first proposed.  Going back to the old style of retail is the only way to go.  Even if it was only the main line books that were issued through newsstands, etc it would still bring more people into the LCS to buy other books that could be printed in bigger formats and higher quality paper.  Like the old days.

But then even if the format is right and accessable, it's what's inside that really counts.  And at the moment, it's not really that good. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 12  

In regard to the paper, I believe that the reason it was stated for the change
was that there was a shortage of newsprint and that if that was to be used,
the price would be even higher. I don't know how true this was, but I know
it was said.

••

Well, that's a new one!

At the time, the experimentation with different paper stocks came about for
a very simple reason: the old newsprint had become so expensive (which
was one of the main reasons for the cover price going up) that "more
expensive" paper suddenly seemed, well, less expensive.

Then DC won some kind of lame publishing award for whatever slick stock it
was using on some book or other, and suddenly it became all about paper
and printing. Before the publishers started monkeying around, few if any
fans paid attention to such things. Certainly there was no "demand" until it
became apparent that such demands could be made, and that was long after
the publishers had made their choices.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version