Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Diminished Expectations (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 1  

It's kind of sad for me to say it, but I do think most of you are assuming too much durability for the comic book format (in North America). That is, why should it still be as popular now as it was in the 1940s? In the '40s, kids didn't have spending money or cell phones and Wii's, there was no TV and no Internet, and the American hero comic book was still a new and dynamic format. All of that has long since changed.

To me, it's a bit like asking why the hoola-hoop or Frank Sinatra are not as popular now. Things change.

Now, some of you may ask -- what about, say, TV?? It was huge by the late 50s, and though not as unchallenged now, it's still huge. Why shouldn't comic books be the same?  One reason that comic book are seen as an outdated format in North America, but are still vital and selling in the millions in the Far East (where I now live again), is that the American comic book is based on retro. Who were the big characters in the 60s? Batman, Superman, Spider-man. Who are the big characters now?  Batman, Superman, Spider-man. If the comic book companies and (to a lesser extent) creators didn't take the business-safe, corporate-happy route every time by over-exposing and beating-to-death familiar characters, young people wouldn't look at comics as something old-fashioned and this forum wouldn't have an average age of 50.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 2  

One reason that comic book are seen as an outdated format in North America, but are still vital and selling in the millions in the Far East (where I now live again), is that the American comic book is based on retro. Who were the big characters in the 60s? Batman, Superman, Spider-man. Who are the big characters now?  Batman, Superman, Spider-man. If the comic book companies and (to a lesser extent) creators didn't take the business-safe, corporate-happy route every time by over-exposing and beating-to-death familiar characters, young people wouldn't look at comics as something old-fashioned and this forum wouldn't have an average age of 50.

---

Have to call BS on this argument. The characters you cite are still incredibly popular in other media. What was the biggest movie last year? Yes, kids are are avoiding comics but going to see The Dark Knight and buying Lego Batman video games and Batman: The Brave and Bold toys because they perceive Batman as overexposed and old-fashioned.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 3  

I thought that with comics making money from ad sales,the more they sell,the happier the advertiser will be.Over here at the moment,`Pound` shops that sell nothing above £1 are thriving over shops that sell with a high mark up.I wonder what the current economic crisis will do to the industry,a large cull in poor selling titles,a thinning out of the `X`,Bat and Superman herd? The closure of comic shops? I had been buying less last year,now i have cut back even more,due to economic circumstances,how will the companies respond? Make comics better value/drop prices or raise prices on the few they do sell? I think i can guess which avenue they will take!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Teller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 4  

Two rules of Business. (This is my day job!)

1. Don't limit your sales channels.

2. Offer a range of clearly differentiated products.

It strikes me the main comic companies do neither. They deliberately limited their sales channels to the direct market and they do not offer clear differentiated product. (Ultimate looks like the Marvel main line now.)

It's fine to sell direct to older collectors in a movie decompressed format with strong continuity. (In fact I'd recommend it, to enable you to keep "older" customers for as long a time as possible) but on it's own it's *not enough*.

You need gateway product, and you need general product. I feel comics (especially Marvel) are missing this general, run of the mill, product.

And you need to market these in appropriate sales channels. (Entry product need to be aimed at Toy Stores, Hypermarkets, etc. General product needs to be Newagents, local shops, HyperMarkets, subscription etc)

What you also don't want is people buying the wrong product (i.e. Kids picking up the adult stuff) so that's why you clearly differentiate. Change size of the comic to a magazine format. Change the covers to a more "adult style", arrange placement of these with the more adult literature such as cars and motors and films.

Publish "Annuals" around Christmas in this "Graphic Novel" style format. Use these as events and promote heavily.

This is not new information.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 5  

…t is easy to see how one point could grow into another. Maybe it shouldn't
be discounted so quickly and easily.

••

Start with a false premise and build from there? Isn't that what got us into
Iraq?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 6  

From a business standpoint, I would say comics biggest problem can be
summed up with one word: distribution. People go on an on about how
these days people have DVDs and video games and they're competing
against comics. If only comics were still as readily available to buy as these
other things, they might stand a fighting chance.

••

Exactly right. No "fix" is going to have any effect until the Direct Sales
Market is taken apart and reassembled into something more akin to what it
started out as -- an "after-market" that supported the main venues, but was
not itself the main venue.

Regan Tyndall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 7  

Quote: Have to call BS on this argument. The characters you cite are still incredibly popular in other media. What was the biggest movie last year? Yes, kids are are avoiding comics but going to see The Dark Knight and buying Lego Batman video games and Batman: The Brave and Bold toys because they perceive Batman as overexposed and old-fashioned.

Them's fightin' words, Robert! But seriously, you defeated your own point with "still incredibly popular in other media." THAT'S the problem -- the comic characters created in the past are seen as kitsch by the larger, mainstream adult public, and they're seen as movie/video-game characters by kids.

Here in the Far East, kids (to some extent), but especially teens and uni students -- male and female -- cram into comic book libraries and shops all around the cities (esp. near universities) all hours of the day and until midnight every night, reading comics, which remain a thriving, popular industry. Why? The stories and characters are relevant to them, not to their grandparents.

Of course I agree with the consensus point that making the comics accessible to a mass market is the larger problem, but in the long term I think the industries need to focus more on the present rather than on beating a dead horse.

Edited by Regan Tyndall on 02 February 2009 at 7:33am

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 8  

Even if someone with clout in the comic industry would refuse to accept the current atmosphere of dimished expectations, any attempt at fixing the problem would be offset by howls of protest that there's absolutely nothing wrong, and things are just perfect as they are.

Sigh.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Sure. Whenever the idea of making some dramatic changes comes along,
the invariable response from some of the Higher Ups is "We can't afford to
piss off the Retailers!"

To which I say "They're gonna be pretty pissed off when the whole industry
dies, aren't they?"

Derek Muthart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 10  

If comics expect to increase sales then they are going to have to keep up with the times.  The current format and distribution model are from a bygone era.  As much as I like to hold a paper comic in my hand, the future lies in digital downloading.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11  

The future lies in the widest possible distribution of product aimed at the
widest possible potential readership. Without that, questions of format
become meaningless.

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 12  

Is the scenario we're facing (especially with a crushing recession that will likely last for years) that sales will eventually fall so low that no amount of increased per-unit pricing will compensate? Will Warner Brothers will close DC up, Marvel sold for pennies on the dollar, & the comic shops close their doors without the Direct Sales of the big two?

Honestly - is that the future? Yay or nay?

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version