Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Flash Gordon, The Phantom & Mandrake. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 1  

Please, do not forget Hal Foster.
Back to Top profile | search

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 2  

Mario: Lot of admiration for Hal Foster, but not the same characters.

Chad: Looks fine. I particulary like this: "When asked why he was so drawn to the character, writer Mike "The Phantom" Bullock had this to say: "There are far too many so called heroes in the pages of comic books these days who have simply forgotten what the word 'heroic' means. As with The Phantom, Lee Falk never forgot this when penning tales of Mandrake, and Mr. Falk's successor, Fred Fredericks hasn't either. To be selfless and heroic is to be a true hero, and something I feel moved to chronicle within the pages of Mandrake and The Phantom. Mr. Falk began a great tradition over seventy years ago and, thankfully, I have the opportunity to continue that tradition for many years to come."

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 3  

Chad, that image is the cover to a Marvel Mandrake comic from 1995.  It appears that the other artwork is all taken from previous comics.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 4  

From the same short-lived line of Marvel Select.  I understand that these are to be collected/reprinted soon. 

Speaking of Flash Gordon, I was severely disappointed in this comic from a few weeks ago.  It was better than that recent Sci-Fi Channel abomination, but still not up to snuff.  Williamson is a VERY difficult act to follow. 

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 5  

Anyone remember this version?

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 6  

Wes, what's your opinion on that 1980s Flash Gordon series?

I've seen it and hesitated buying in, even on the cheap.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 7  

Your instincts are good. Save your money .

Ian Penman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 8  

The initial bit of Flash Gordon art at the start of this thread is Williamson, right? Lovely stuff!

Like everything else, comics move on, change and evolve and reflect the times that they're contemporary to. Comparing the work in FG, Mandrake and Phantom to what's happening today is the old "apples and pears" argument.

I do think though, that these strips have had problems adjusting  to today's audience.  (Unlike, say, Batman)

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 9  

Chad, I liked the DC series enough to buy the whole run when it came out and kept it.  I haven't re-read it in years, but I remember that the Jurgens art was nice.  It was an update to the times and the while the character redesigns didn't do much for me, the story itself was entertaining. 

Ian, are you referring to the premise of Flash Gordon versus Batman, or the original published stories?  I think that the Williamson art would hold up today against other artists simply due to his detail work.  On the other hand, the original Robinson/Sprang/etc art would be more jarring to the modern reader.  Please bear in mind that the Sprang/Paris team is second only behind Aparo on Batman for me, I am must commenting on the current trend of published art. 

As far as Flash Gordon, I prefer Williamson over Raymond.  Call it blasphemy, but tastes differ. 

Ian Penman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wes,

I'm refering more to how the treatment of the strip can be updated, without losing it's basic premise, rather than the art. Batman is still pretty much the same character with the same motivations as he was in Detective 27. The way the strip is presented is very different, and has a contemporary feel to it. Not sure that the King heroes have got this and  probably don't appeal to as wide a general audience as they once did.

(I'm with you on Williamson, though! What a great artist!)

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

I mostly know Flash Gordon from the serials. They played them on weekends on one of the local (Pittsburgh) stations when i was growing up.

AND: at my first SF convention in '79 I got to meet him! Buster Crabbe, that is. Really great fellow who seemed surprised and tickled that then-13 year-old me knew who he was.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version