Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Captain Marvel ?’s For Mr. Byrne (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 1  

Alex Ross and Geoff Johns made a pitch for Captain Marvel recently that DC had no interest in--Ross updated CM's look with lightning shooting off the costume and his hair teased up like a wild man's, and Billy Batson was living in LA, with long hair and a cell phone on his hip. It looked great, very modern while respecting the past.

Sadly, DC seems intent on keeping Captain Marvel done in a silly, overtly-kiddie style and then wondering why his books don't sell.

Back to Top profile | search

Erik Larsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 2  

Captain Marvel having a "look with lightning shooting off the costume and
his hair teased up like a wild man's, and Billy Batson living in LA, with
long hair and a cell phone on his hip" doesn't sound like "respecting the
past" to me--it sounds like $#!+ing on it.

Holy Moley.

Edited by Erik Larsen on 06 October 2008 at 10:41am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm enjoying Mike Kunkel's work on "Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam" though he needs to get better about making his deadlines. Adults will forgive missed shipping dates. Kids will forget about the book and move on to something else.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 4  

So what do we do with Captain Marvel, Erik? Have him as a ten year old standing on the street corner selling newspapers, yellling "Extra! Extra! Read all about it!"? Why is it Captain Marvel is the one character who has to remain stuck in the 1940s?

What about the Ross/ Johns proposal strikes you as shitting on the character? We're talking about the appearance of change versus change that does real damage.

CM needs a Man Of Steel reboot like no other character in comics.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 5  

The 'updated' Captain Marvel mentioned above sounds stupid, and looks like another attempt to ground a fantasy character in 'reality'. In a similar vein, the recent Trials of Shazam has dragged the character so far from his roots, he's barely recognizable (or even interesting).

Why is it Captain Marvel is the one character who has to remain stuck in the 1940s?

Staying true to the simplistic stories and Golden Age approach (which worked rather well, back in the day) might not be 'hip' or appealling for today's sophisticated reader of 'graphic novels', but it might be fun for kids (who should be the target audience, IMO).

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bob Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 6  

Dave Phelps:

(I don't recall the initial post-Beck artists, but Alan Weiss closed out the Shazam run and Don Newton did the World's Finest run.)

Kurt Shaffenberger drew quite a few issues of the '70s title, as well as some of the reprints from the early '50s.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 7  

Captain Marvel with a lightning motiff and Billy Batson carrying a cell phone "ground" the characters in reality? Why do fans get so pissed over the appearance of change?

And the Ross/ Johns reboot would have undone the abysmal Trials of Shazam, so I'm not sure why you're comparing the two.

DC tried the Golden Age approach in the early seventies, and the experiment failed. Captain Marvel (like all mainstream superhero books) should indeed be aimed at kids. Nothing I mentioned in the Ross/ Johns proposal took away from that.

And again, kids today carry cell phones. They don't stand on street corners selling newspapers to men in fedoras.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

Maybe Marvel should relaunch Spider-Man as a teenager, but keep the characters like they were in the sixties--skinny ties, bobby socks, malt shops, and jalopies.

Because stories where Peter Parker uses computers and cell phones would just shit all over the character, wouldn't it?

The same fans who object to Billy Batson carrying a cell phone sound like the same folks who screamed bloody murder when Peter got a computer from Uncle Ben in S-M: CO.

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

Well, part of it is that the use of a cell phone suggests an older Billy Batson than some people prefer. But today elementary school kids have cell phones, so that in and of itself isn't bad. I think the problem is with trying to explicitly make Captain Marvel a teenaged hero, as opposed to a young boy. A teenager who yells out SHAZAM and turns into a guy who's just a bit taller and better built lacks the mythic resonance of the child who transforms into an adult.

Billy Batson has to be a kid. That's the entire point of the character. Now, he should be a modern kid, and the waif selling newspapers approach just won't work for the target audience of contemporary elementary school kids, but the core concept of the orphaned boy who is found by a wizard and granted the power to transform into the World's Mightiest Mortal, that has to remain.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

Because stories where Peter Parker uses computers and cell phones would
just shit all over the character, wouldn't it?

••

Slight difference in the publishing history, wouldn't you agree?

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

The late Bob Oksner also drew several of Captain Marvel '70's adventures, and was responsible for a very attractive version of sister Mary, as well.

In defense of Alan Weiss's lone Shazam! story, since Junior was the star, a more realistic, less-cartoony style, a la Mac Raboy's, was not at all out-of-place, in my opinion.

Is there no love out there for Jerry Ordway's fine '90's effort?  I enjoyed it, from the sold-out graphic novel to the last issue of the regular series, #47 (although I was always pissed that DC couldn't have kept it going for three more issues, and ended it with a double-sized 50th).

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Wait for volume 2.
+++
Folks, I gotta thank you!  This was keeping me awake at nights.  Gonna track some of those stories out of sheer curiosity.  

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version