Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Stand Alone Trade Paperbacks (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

A wonderful idea! I've been itching to see what you'd do with an original sci-fi piece since you teased us with this:

http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/sketches/images/122.jpg

If such a project were to happen, is there any chance you'd consider drawing the pages in a larger size than your normal comic work? I've been loving the intricate linework in your large commission pieces, I think an entire book drawn in that scale would be outstanding!
Back to Top profile | search

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 2  

Oh, and this guy, too! What's his story?

http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/sketches/images/jbsketch3.jpg

Marin Balabanov
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

The best part about a full graphic novel approach is that you get a full story
with a proper curve to it and an ending without a cliffhanger. *

* Unless it serves the concept

Edit: added last remark

Edited by Marin Balabanov on 02 October 2008 at 3:03pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Derek Muthart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

This makes total sense to me.  I would much rather have downloadable monthly issues that are then compiled and sold in trade paperback form. 

Edited by Derek Muthart on 02 October 2008 at 3:23pm

Marcus Hiltz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

Mr. Byrne, I would love to see you go in that direction. I would love to see anything (CITIZEN ZERO, NEXT MEN, YGG, historical stories, sci-fi stories, etc.) done in this format. As much as I love your super-hero comics (BATMAN/CAPTAIN AMERICA and the first GENERATIONS are my absolute favorites of yours), it would be really cool to see such an interesting variety of projects from you. Bring it on!

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

Wow, how the heck have I managed to miss this thread for something like a week???

JB - you've got some great ideas going there that would really suit the more novelised (without previous serialisation*) approach. The end of Next Men sounds great in just about any format (goes without saying really), but all other suggestions, Elizabeth in space and Citizen Zero in particular sounds awesome.

I'd also like to say that it ought to be high time soon for a JB adaptation of City at World's End. Really, truly... high time!

*  I always find it worthwhile to remember that  most of the early modern novels were published in a serialised format before being bound as books (Dickens being a major novelist working in this manner of course).
As such, I've always found the term graphic novel a bit flawed in its usages in two ways.
1) neither the medium of comics nor any TPB collection of comics material equals, to my mind, a graphic novel, as there has to be something novelistic about the collection (by which I'd argue that some TPBs collect material that effectively do function in such a novelistic manner while other most certainly do not).
2) Many (early) graphic novels, e.g. Marvel's graphic novel series from the 80s, strikes me also as less novelistic, in terms of scope. The length of something like God Loves, Man Kills would perhaps merit the literary term novella, but some of the even shorter ones makes me more think of short stories proper. I can sympathise with the differing effect of publishing in a different format, especially at the time, but there is something disingenious about using the established term novel in graphic novel as something more of a synonym for book.
The novel as a literary genre after all comes with certain "formal" definitions, and a graphic novel should to my mind have some correlation to those definitions (although adapted for the comics medium) if the term is to be useful and not just a fancy schmancy way of saying "comics" for people who don't read "comics".

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

STARS MY DESTINATION
+++
Ok, if this veers into SF adaptations, some HEINLEIN like HAVE SPACESUIT, WILL TRAVEL, my favorite, THE ROLLING STONES must be mentioned! 

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

I would love to see JB do ELRIC, btw.  Not sure he´s into the character at all, though. 

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

Flavio, I'm fully with you on Elric  (he's actually on my dreamlist if I ever enter the comission game), but I'd be interested to see JB handle quite a few incarnations of Moorcock's Eternal Champion. For instance, I think the senisbilities Dorian Hawkmoon's world of a Nazi-like "British" dark empire would fit JB's talents like a glove.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

That B&W Silver Surfer pic on the previous page is awesome!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version