Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Stand Alone Trade Paperbacks (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne wrote:
I was kicking around the notion of doing the life of Queen Elizabeth the First, but as a sci-fi epic a la STAR WARS.

This sounds very intriguing!
Back to Top profile | search

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 2  

If JB takes the trade route, it´s gotta be all-original hard sci-fi, all the way. 

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 3  

I've only picked up a few trades in my reading (John's latest Action work is one), and like the idea, since when I am going to read a limited series (FX comes to mind) I wait until all the issues are out before starting.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 4  

Rick Geary does this. Though they aren't mamoth-sized by any means, it is the perfect format for his storytelling style. The fact that he does one and done biographies only enhances the format's appeal.

Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise, Bill Willingham's Fables, Brian Vaughn's Y;the Last Man and Jeff Smith's Bone are other series that reads better as full story arcs to me. In fact, I was only able to get into the stories of the last 3 mentioned because I went back and picked up tpbs of them after not being drawn into them when reading the first issue or few issues of each.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 5  

If JB takes the trade route, it´s gotta be all-original hard sci-fi, all the way.

••

So, no Lucrezia?

Kevin McNamara
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 6  

JB I dont post here very often. But just want to say if you go down this road I would very much approve.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 7  

I always thought that the whole OGN thing worked like how movies are
produced. Get the financing for the project, produce it and see if it turns a
profit.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 8  

Since "Whipping Boy" is one of my favorites, I would love to see the novel/comic book combo of a stand alone trade paperback. It would be good to read something intended for that format by someone who gets the novel.

And a bonus to a project like this is the conventional media are open to reviewing these while the monthlies are largely covered by the comic book media. As we see "Star Trek" fans who might not have been exposed to JB's work reacted favorably to the recent IDW projects, it would be great to get a JB novel length comic book in front of some new eyeballs. And if those eyeballs are attached to a brain - even better!

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 9  

I find myself leaning more towards trades these days -- I've been reading Kirkman's INVINCIBLE in TPB format, and I think it works well in that form.  I think I'd feel somewhat shortchanged reading the stories in monthly form, but as story groupings in TPB form, they flow well and I feel "well-nourished" after finishing a TPB.

Barring some major migration to an electronic distribution format, I think TPBs do spell out the future of the comic industry, with monthly titles going the way of the dinosaur save for those "event" storylines which would ultimately be ccollected in TPB form anyway.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 10  

I think the monthly format should be retired as JB put it, except maybe for 2 or 3 particularly popular titles (Spider-Man, Superman,...?)
With the decompression of storylines today, and the new habit of creating "arcs", we don't get as much excitment and matter in just one 20 pages. With comics as they were told and drawn 20 or 25 years ago it was perfect but now, after reading a modern 20something page comic, you have no real full story. So knowing that going back to oldschool storytelling is impossible, comic writers and artists should start thinking in 50 or more pages. Some titles have not enough weight or popularity to retain their monthly status. Some artists can't live up to the monthly production, for good or bad reasons.
In France, we have ongoing series with one or two 46 pages volumes coming out every year. Some creators take more time. We are used to this format. We can accept the wait, a book comes out when it's finished and there are no fill-ins.

Benny Gelillo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 11  

Hi, John. I would support your stand alone trade paperbacks. You're certainly fast enough to turn out more than a couple per year. Joe Kubert made a similar effort with his releases of Yossel, Fax From Sarajevo, and Jew Gangster. I hope you give it a try, even just as an experiment to see if it works for you.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 12  

Joe K also did a beautiful job with the Tex graphic novel. That came in at about 150 pages if I'm remembering correctly.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version