Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: DCP - Digital Comics Preservation (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 1  

I have bought all of the GIT releases of Marvel Comics on DVD, and have copied the contents onto a hard drive for easy access. Later, I discovered CBR and CBZ files and digital comic readers and slowly started to pull together a duplicate collection of the comics I have already purchased. Because I already own the original comics, my possession of these files is considered "fair use" according to copyright law. (Redistributing the files is not legal if the books are still in print.) I have re-read a great many books that have been buried in boxes for 10+ years, and have ended up buying a lot of new TPBs and back issues as a result.

I strongly support the movement to digital comics as a secondary means of distribution. I think it makes a lot of sense to sell monthly (or even weekly) subscriptions to comics and then collect the same content to sell as TPBs 2-3 times a year. Digital subscribers could even get a discount off the normal price for the TPB. It may make sense for the copyright owners to limit copying to 5 computers as iTunes allows the record labels to do with music files, Other copyright owners may be okay with free distribution, looking at the TPB sales as the real revenue generator.  

I know that a lot of longtime readers are resistant to the whole concept of comics on a computer screen, but considering how difficult it is for new readers to discover comics right now, I think digital distribution could go a long way in growing the readership and the industry.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

Brendan,
In my opinion the potential revenues from digital comics are higher than the paper based comic books.
Think about X-Box Live, iTunes and simple things like cell phone ringtones, and you will realise how bad comic book industry is at generating revenues from mass media distribution.

Another thought, Hollywood's addiction to comic books is growing so fast that I wonder why keep "locked" old comics (more than 3 years old) that do not generate revenues, when you could distribute then and grow the "fan" base.
I do not know about you, but I could never get enough comics and could easily read 20 or more every day, and no matter how cheap old issues were, I was eager for new stories.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
I dare you show me the MarvelMaster Works Uncanny X-Men n.3. It is not available anywhere. (it is not X-MEN it is Uncanny X-MEN)

Here ya go. Here's 6 of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterworks-Uncanny-Reprints-11 1-121/dp/0785111948/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1 222131012&sr=8-6

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

hahahaha

A used book that the brand new costs USD 39,99 for more than USD 150,00???

This is surely a great way to build up an industry.

I'd rather buy the Omnibus for less than half that price.

here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0785121013/ref=dp_olp _2?ie=UTF8&qid=1222131766&sr=1-2

Now, I already have those stories in at least 4 or 5 different editions, I just wanted to complete my collection, but I never pay this kind of overprice. For me this kind of scalper will have to find another way of living.

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

I do not know what is their page, and we must remember that those scanning  comic books are teenagers, not liable for what they are doing.
It is easy for people like us, making USD100,000 year to point fingers, but if we remember when we were all teenagers, I can speak for myself, I was sooo broke that I used to sell newspapers and botlles that I found in the trash of my building just to have enough money to buy my comic book.

Nice generalization.  You make that much a year?  I should move to Brazil!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

You exact line was "I dare you show me the MarvelMaster Works Uncanny X-Men n.3. It is not available anywhere." I showed you 6 of them. It had nothing to do with the price they were asking. If they are out of print and that hard to find then the market will support it. It's no different than GIANT SIZE X-MEN 1 selling for hundreds of dollars. Or ACTION COMICS 1.  It's just another back issue that's out of print yet highly desirable. It's the whole point of the collector's market.

And hell, you're making $100,000/ year. You can afford it.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

For the record I am internal auditor in a Canadian Gold Mining company and those USD100.000/year do not come easy, so I am not transfering to a scalper.

And I meant no offense when I said that comment on "people like us", just tred to make a point, that our revenues are far better than teenage boys.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

that our revenues are far better than teenage boys.

Mine's not. I'm going to school and am only able to work a minimal number of hours a week. I was working more hours when I was in High School than I am now. And my take-home pay per week is slightly less than when I was a kid.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

And the book you are looking for is available. You would just rather download it for free than pay what the market price is for it.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 10  

I know that a lot of longtime readers are resistant to the whole concept of comics on a computer screen, but considering how difficult it is for new readers to discover comics right now, I think digital distribution could go a long way in growing the readership and the industry.

I agree, Brendan. As long as it's controlled by the publisher, there's no problem.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

You are right Brian I should have been more specific, and explain that I was trying to find the book from a bookstore that would not try to make more money because of the "collector's" need. I bought all of Marvel Masterworks from Amazon in one shot few years ago, but the number 3 was never delivered, I complained with amazon, but they said that the book was out of stock and they would send me as soon as it were available again. When I ordered it was available, but... sooner or later I will find one. As I found JB Hulk's, Namor, OMAC and Superman.

Steve D Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2008 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 12  

Reading comics on a computer screen feels about as wrong to me as reading books on a computer screen. I can do it, but it feels like work. What comics needs to make it work is a device (like a Kindle) that can handle full color and full sized comic books. As soon as that device is available (and reasonably priced) I think you'll see a lot of comics going digital only. There were only a few comics that were comic shop exclusives at first to test the market but when they saw that it worked the companies crept more in that direction.

Still, if this happens (and I think it will), it will be nice to see publishers trying to reach a wide audience again.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version