Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: DCP - Digital Comics Preservation (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 1  

All I wanted was a discussion about the Digital Comics Preservation, but most of the people appears to be more concerned about the publisher.

What about the comic book industry?
What about the masterpieces forgotten?

I remember that if it were not for Charles Baudelaire, I would not have known my favorite writer, Edgar Allan Poe, who had been forgotten.

The publish houses should pay more attention to that.As Derek said here earlier, it is very unlikely that paper based comic books are going to be the "main" media in the future. The same way the black disks disapeared and CD's are now disapearing due to digital music.

Digital comics should be cheap, specially the old ones. and they should be provided by big companies like Marvel or DC, not by a bunch of teenagers.
Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 2  

Of course the scan quality matters. Let's take CDs again. Since I don't dowload comics. 

If I buy the CD, I get: 

1. 1 cd with great sound quality
  2. The whole thing in a perfect lossless digital format for my Mp3 player.

If I buy the Mp3, I get:

1.  A lousy recording that sounds like a tincan with most of the noise erased from the compression.

Buying digital doesn't sound like a good deal to me at all. I wouldn't pay full price for a crummy JPG of a painting with compression artefacts in it. 

Derek Muthart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 3  

Buying digital doesn't sound like a good deal to me at all. I wouldn't pay full price for a crummy JPG of a painting with compression artefacts in it. 

I hate to say it man, but most older comics were printed on crummy newsprint with misaligned plates.  Not to mention the paper quality was so low in the 60's and 70's only the best preserved comics have white pages anymore and comics in high grade from this era are extremely expensive thanks to CGC.  To me, a cleaned up digital scan would be a welcome relief.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 4  

I suspect if the LCS system breaks down (and I hope that never, ever happens) the publishers will switch to selling their new stuff online. And of course the quality of the stories will go waaay up because the creators will be turning their work in seconds before it goes on sale. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 5  

I am thinking about a system in which the creator will be able to sell his comics online.
I would be more than happy to sign up a yearly subscrition on anything JB decides to sell online, I am looking forward to read more Next Men....

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 6  

I enjoy reading comics on my computer, and like the DCP format better than GIT.  However I want to buy all of the GIT I can because it's legal and I want to support that.

I think a reasonable solution for all parties involved would be an online library format.

DCP online library:  You don't download and keep, you open and read online...they could alter the DCP reader software to inhibit copying. 

I tried out the Marvel Online comics during the free preview and was unimpressed...superlong load times unintuitive reader...and lack of titles kept me from opting in. 

No one has addressed the fair use aspect of copyright:  In order to write critical analysis, and perform valid research free access should be encouraged.

Don
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 7  

I don't like the Marvel Online stuff at all. Too clunky. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 8  

Donald,

Like yourself I want to support the industry, or at least, the decent things being produced (BPRD, Hellboy, Y Last Man, etc).

My main interest is in old comic books that are nearly lost. I have some X-Men published in Brazil in the 60's that have less then 3.000 copies. For me that is Comic book industry history and should be preserved.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 9  

Why couldn't you keep a digital copy? Do you take your comics back at the store?

Being scared of putting out decent digital files because of copying is ridiculous. As soon as a customer purchases a physical copy of a comic, cd or movie, they can already copy it, better than the digital files on sale at that too.  Copying is already easy as pie regardless that the publishing house issues it's own digital copy or not.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 10  

I agree with you Martin.
Does anyone know Amazon Kindle? The concept is awesome! You purchase the books and download them to your device, but if it breaks, you do not loose the book, it is stored on the Amazon server with a code that allows you do donwload it again when you replace your device.

Customers should not be treated like thieves, like "I will not sell you a digital copy because I think you will distribute ir freelly".

Also, there are many ways of obtaining revenues other than charging for the paper based comic book, paperback, or any other media. Newspapers do it successfully, why not the comic book industry...

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 11  

Martin said:
Why couldn't you keep a digital copy? Do you take your comics back at the store?

I am not sure if you question was a response to me or not...

I am talking about a virtual lending library and in that scenario Yes, most people return the work in question to the library.  with only copies being made portions of the work in question for research purposes if needed.

I agree that The comic book companies need to make their product widely available in a digital format and GIT was good start, but Marvel teken a step backwards...

Don

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 12  

As long as I am paying, I don't see why I can't keep what I buy. I think nearly all the digital deals blow right now.

I want to buy the Painter 10 upgrade. I can buy the box I can keep forever and have it shipped in a week or two. Or I can purchase a download which will be missing ALL the extras and only available to me for 2 years, for 10 bucks less. 

Why can't I purchase the box and get an immediate download while I wait for the CD?  I can make a digital copy of it as soon as I get the box in the mail anyway.  See? Buying traditional is still the best deal because you get 2 equivalent products. Buying digital, you get 1 downgraded product. Often at the same price!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version