Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: DCP - Digital Comics Preservation (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ray, spare me of your sarcasm.
You got the idea.
If you can read without paying ina library, then you have the potential revenue loss I am talking about.
And, no, digital comics on the computer screen is not the same as the "real deal" good old paper in your hands, that is why I buy when I find, because in Brazil I cannot find the comics I want to buy in every corner and comic book stores are rare.
Nowadays I just buy hardcover editions from Amazon, because, the only thing worth reading was made years ago. The other good stuff, like Hellboy and BPRD, I wait for the paperbacks to buy, but read on DCP first.

Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

What about the back issue market? I just bought New Teen Titans 1-50 for 50$. I paid for it, but George Perez didn't get a dime out of it. I've bought New Mutants 18-31 three times over, Bill never made any money out of it.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

Luckily, Marvel and DC are getting smarter about this. Both WW by Perez and Superman by Byrne have been beautifully traded. Marvel does that too, except they print it like a crummy fax on gloss paper, so I still buy the back issues instead.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

Martin, since 1986 I buy from milehighcomics thanks to them I can flip the pages of my Incredible Hulks 314-319 and Namor 1-25 amongst other comics that I regularly buy from them. Unfortunately, I am a 35 years old that travels a lot at work and the only mean for me to carry my comic book collection on my laptop is the scanned versions. If I can do that with my Ipod, why we cannot do with a comic book.
Several years ago I wrote a letter to Marvel explaining that they should have a mean to sell digital comics through the web, but never got any response.

Just to give you an idea of paradigm breaking, a major newspaper in Sao Paulo, Brazil, called Estado de Sao Paulo, offers now for free the same newspaper you buy on the stand on the web. There is a nice website for it and advertisement pays for the "lost" revenue. Google should teach Marvel and DC executives that there are more means of making money than just put ink on a piece of paper.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel HAS a Digital Comics initiative. Look for it on their site.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Derek Muthart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

This all brings me back to a convention I attended in Minneapolis about eight years ago where Carmine Infantino was seated at a panel. 

A fan asked him about the future of comics and the industry in general.  He proceeded to hold up a comic and tell the crowd the only place you will find these in the future will be in antique shops.

I quickly discounted his comment as the bitter ramblings of a disgruntled veteran, but now I'm starting to see what a wise sage he was.

Just as digital downloading has changed the music industry the same thing will happen to comic book industry.  Comic books will still be produced, but their format and method of distribution will change radically.

If you don't believe me, let me share a little story with you.

I currently work for a big box retailer and I was talking to a much younger employee about buying a new CD.  She proceeded to roll her eyes and said, "Who buys CD's anymore?.  It's so much easier to download it from iTunes.".

Now if that isn't an eye opener, nothing is.  The comicbook industry would be wise to get ahead of the curve and embrace this change rather than fight it. 

Yes, there will always be a market for people who want to hold a paper comic book in their hands, but as industry numbers have shown, that number continues to decline.

The new generation wants their content to be accessible and portable.  They don't have the time or desire to hunt down obscure back issues at conventions or comic book stores and they certainly don't want to have to rent a u-haul to lug around their collection.

Edited by Derek Muthart on 21 September 2008 at 7:47pm

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Olá Pedro, que bom encontrar aqui alguém que entende português.
As for the Digital Comics initiative of Marvel I must say that it is very timid, to say the least. I bought the FF box and Spider Man scanned and sold by Marvel. Amazingly the quality of the scan is terrible and PDF files are not as interactive as the comic reader from DCP.
It is a start, but I would be delited to see something like the Amazon Kindle, just for comic books, with a service per month, just like a cell phone, where you could find all new comic books and purchase the same way you buy from iTunes.

Derek, I could not agree more with you. Your post is perfect!  It is not a matter of Piracy or taking advantage in a ilegal way, it is about the whole future of the industry, about finding and retaining customers and provide good stories.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

I wasn't being sarcastic, Marcio. I was being extremely literal.

This is the fundamental definition of "copyright": who has the legal right to
make copies of a work? Libraries purchase books, and then they loan them
out to others. This is legal. Whether it loses revenue for the copyright owner
is irrelevant: it's still legal.

Websites that copy media, then distribute additional copies of that material
to anyone who ask for it, are violating the copyright. Ergo, it's piracy. Again,
that is irrespective of whether the copyright holder has lost any sales.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

As for the Digital Comics initiative of Marvel I must say that it is very timid, to say the least. I bought the FF box and Spider Man scanned and sold by Marvel. Amazingly the quality of the scan is terrible and PDF files are not as interactive as the comic reader from DCP.

-------------------------

Those were done by a company called GIT. Marvel has digital comics online on it own website, far more intaractive.

As for the DVDs, are you seriously complaining for having bought some FIVE HUNDRED comics on DVD for 50 bucks? Seriously? I have a bunch of those CDs and do not regret having bought them!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

Ray,

You are absolutely right about the legal aspect.
But I could spent days listing things that are legal, but we can agree that are not right.

And sometimes is pointless fight against what is new, it is better adapt and turn the situation in your favour, not against you.

Again, that is what music industry learned.

As for the Piracy thing, I still disagree, the use of copyrighted material without permission is ilegal, but it is not piracy, just a matter of semantics here.

Don Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2008 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

<I>If there is no profit for the Pirate, where is the Piracy?</I>

If I steal from you, and give away what I have stolen, then are you suggesting I didn't steal from you?

<I>And, what is the damage to the revenue of a company like Marvel or DC when you create a digital version of a comic book that is not available for many years.</I>

DCP scans and distributes books that have come out as recently as Wednesday. Hardly not readily available.

Also, if the publisher is releasing something in a collected format, than DCP is competing with that be giving away free scans of things they do not own. Marvel has gone back MANY years by releasing old Atlas comics as Masterworks.

Finally, Marvel has its own online subscription format for digital comics. Again, DCP is competing by giving away something they do not have the right to give away.

As a last thought, if they really thought they were being ligitimate, why not say who they are on their ad page?

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2008 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 12  

I am sorry, but the unproper use of copyrighted material is not stealing. Making profit from it is. Imagine an example:

I drawn a Marvel character and get it silk-screened to a T-Shirt. It is MY drawing, ok? But then some friends like that T-Shirt and ask me to make one for them and I end up selling 50 T-Shirt with my drawing with a Marvel character on it. That is ilegal, unproper use of copyrighted material, but is hardly stealing.

Also, you are determining in your assumption that anyone obtaining digital comics automatically does not buy the paper comics itself, which is not true.

I agree with you that distribution of digital comic books in the very week they are released is too much, and an abuse, but for old stuff, I tend to disagree, because the publishers do not offer a reasonable alternative (something like iTunes, where you can find you piece and download it to your computer).

Marvel's online comics are not portable, you cannot download it to your laptop, you must be connected to the internet.

I do not know what is their page, and we must remember that those scanning  comic books are teenagers, not liable for what they are doing.
It is easy for people like us, making USD100,000 year to point fingers, but if we remember when we were all teenagers, I can speak for myself, I was sooo broke that I used to sell newspapers and botlles that I found in the trash of my building just to have enough money to buy my comic book.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version