Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: OT- Paul Pope’s Batman designs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Joel,

I don't think he was being "stupid" at all... what's with the name-calling?
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

But they're not all the SAME, are they? So it would seem kids can accept a
wide variety of styles. In fact, it would seem they seek out a wide variety of
styles. So making comics look the the latest flavor of the month TV
animation would seem to be precisely the wrong way to go.

You're probably right; that's why you're the pro!

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

Joel I apologize if you think I was trying to yank your chain but this isn't a choir here and if it is we are surely off key.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't think he was being "stupid" at all... what's with the name-calling?

By asking me how I can't tell it's Batman with the title Batman on the cover?  And seriously, you think what I said was "name calling?" Ok. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

Joel I apologize if you think I was trying to yank your chain but this isn't a choir here and if it is we are surely off key.

I agree. Nor should it be. But I can state my opinions just as you can state yours.

For the record, I'm not trying to criticize Pope overall as an artist. His backgrounds on this and some other things I've seen from him are really good. I just don't care for his rendition of Batman. That's it. That's all. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. Plenty of people do.:)

Edited by Joel Tesch on 09 August 2008 at 6:42pm

Derek Rogers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think JB's changes to the Wonder Woman costume are respectful to the character and it is still very recognizably Wonder Woman.  I think it's important that the character look as closely "on model" in their main title.  Regarding Year 100, I also think Pope was very thoughtful of his own redesign of Batman as evidenced by his notes to Bob Shreck on the first page of this thread.  His Batman is still very much identifiable as Batman.  I think because it's an Elseworlds and just a one-shot, he can have artistic license to change things.  If he was doing Detective Comics however, I would expect him to be "on model". 

But then again, as per this discussion, what is "on model" nowadays.

I usually don't post often but I'm really enjoying this discussion.  Great points from everyone!

Question to Michael Retour: I am also a big fan of Paul Pope.  Did you check out Pulphope?  Great art and essays and interviews with Pope.

Edited by Derek Rogers on 09 August 2008 at 6:55pm

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, I have the book.  I have probably everything, except original art, I could lay my hands on from Pope.  He's a genius.  

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 8  

Joel we're cool.  I've enjoyed this thread.  I don't mind if people dislike Pope's Batman.  I didn't like lots of artists when I first saw their work. 

More Garcia-Lopez:

Edited by Michael Retour on 09 August 2008 at 7:22pm

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

It'd be awesome if they did a cartoon in a realistic style like the pic posted on top of the page.

I'm a Paul Pope fan, I got most of his books from his self publishing days. Horse Press? My only gripe is that he's never really improved his inking. It still looks like he has no control over his brush. I guess it's his style he wants to hold on to. Like Bjork still pretending to be 18 even though she's 40 something.

Anthony Frail wrote:
I meant more for today. Lopez's art's great but it is 20 years old or more at
this point; to be competetive, shouldn't DC use a modern artist who can
capture the imaginations of the youth of today?

The artist's style doesn't really matter as setting up proportions / height / facial features / jaw shape / build / stance. I worked from the style guides for a popular anime and I was surprised at the detail, how they can make one face distinctive from another. Though of course, that doesn't mean all their sequences are on model. But the model sheets are really cool. I ended up learning alot.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 09 August 2008 at 7:44pm

Warren Leonhardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

So making comics look the the latest flavor of the month TV
animation would seem to be precisely the wrong way to go.

++

Personally, I think that's why a calling back to the DC style guide (whomever does it) for the monthlies would be a smart move - to clean house a bit, and establish just what it IS that's so different about the title characters from manga, anime, tv cartoons, etc. To tangibly offer something Special but Accessible, you know? Unique! Nostalgic, even. Superheroes are uniquely American, let's dust them off and stand them up straight to represent properly.

Meanwhile, in the specialty shops, the more title variants (Marvel Zombies/DC Elseworlds/etc - whether you love 'em or hate 'em) should roam all over and inspire all kinds of discussion like any other art form can. Discussions just like on this thread, actually! I think it's good for the form to grow, develop, etc. Even though it might be painful for some to read...

But to boost brand recognition, and attract new readers (hopefully also by being more available to new readers - on newsstands, spinner racks, etc) a more stable 'face' needs to be put in place. Something a civilian can count on to deliver what they expect each and every time - and hopefully exceed those expectations.

No reason why these companies can't start with whatever character's being released this summer, you know? Kids too young to catch the movie can access the stories through the readily available, iconic, all ages comics & through the cartoons, and older civilians can go to the movie, read a NEW story about that character (and hopefully it's as good as they remember from childhood), then when/if they go to a LCS, they can discover all these other versions/choices of style and substance.

Just keep Pope's Batman in the LCS where people who are ready for it can take it for what it is - a variant, a mashup, a projection, no less valid, but still just one of many versions out there.

Warren Leonhardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

It'd be awesome if they did a cartoon in a realistic style like the pic posted on top of the page.
++

Honestly, man, it'd be a nightmare trying to capture that in the factory that's tv animation today. Bruce Timm's  version is ubiquitous  for a reason. It works very well  within the limits.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

Why not? They did it with the Claster cartoons. Most 80s cartoons were like that. I must argue this!!!

Edited by Martin Redmond on 09 August 2008 at 7:45pm

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version