Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: OT- Paul Pope’s Batman designs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

A while back somebody got the bright idea to mix the Indy style with superhero comics on a line-wide basis. Maybe it was Bill Jemas at Marvel. Quesada's early editorial push was certainly in that direction. It was cute for a little while, but it ended up giving us stories that were even further off the mark than the vapid comics of the 90's.

It can be argued that Pope, Peter Bagge and others offer distinctive perspectives to superheroes. Let's give Jim Lee a chance to re-interpret Maus, using the cast of WildC.A.T.s . Have McFarlane go nuts with American Splendor. Let's see how the Indy fans like it when the shoe's on the other foot.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 08 August 2008 at 11:04pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 2  

As for the Pope Batman, the curiosity is whether or not it would make a difference for DC to go back to the age of fixin' Kirby heads. Creating an "on model" Batman in an attempt to reach a larger market. You know, the one that's paid over $300 million to go to the movies, but won't buy comic books...

Dave I don't believe there is an "on model" Batman or Superman these days. 

Like I said, this thread reminds me of the work done to make an "on model" Superman cast for Kirby's work that did not fit the DC model at the time.  Today, it is "anything goes" as the scans you've posted show (with some of the Batmen looking quite ridiculous). 

I never mentioned Warren saying anything about children buying comics.  I said it.  I apologize for the confusion. 

Comics need new customers right?  At the present the comic publishers are mainly soaking the same people with trades, variants (again), and other editions.  Children have to be brought into the market in my opinion.  I don't know how and I don't believe the publishers do either. 

I didn't know Pope won an several Eisner awards for his Batman work.  One for his Robin story from SOLO and the other for Batman: Year 100. 

Pope said this about Year 100: "I wanted to present a new take on Batman, who is without a doubt a mythic figure in our pop-psyche.  My Batman is not only totally science fiction, he's also a very physical superhero: he bleeds, he sweats, he eats.  He's someone born into an over-arching police state; someone with the body of David Beckham, the brain of Tesla, and the wealth of Howard Hughes... pretending to be Nosferatu."

I think he accomplished that quite well. 

Back to Top profile | search

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 3  

If there is to be an on-model version of the characters, who's art is to be the
model?

Derek Rogers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 4  

That Batman movie coloring book is the only one that I think looks pretty bad.  Too literal interpretation of that costume makes him look like a cyborg or something.  The Band-Aid box has a classic Neal Adams-ish look to it.  The one with the yellow burst behind him looks positively Sprang-ian.  The Justice League Bruce Timm style looks iconic.  The animated Batman following it doesn't look that bad.  It still looks "on model".  Even the Super Friends one is in keeping with the other hero styles - kid-friendly and recognizable.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 5  

If there is to be an on-model version of the characters, who's art is to be the
model?

••

In the 80s, when somebody up there gave a sht, DC paid Jose Luis Garcia
Lopez to take a whole year and do style guides for all their characters.

I have a copy. It's a thing of beauty.

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 6  

And I believe that DC has Perez working on a new one as well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeff W Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 7  

I read a year or so ago that DC was having George Perez do a new style guide.  I never heard anything else about it, so it may have been scrapped.

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 8  

I meant more for today. Lopez's art's great but it is 20 years old or more at
this point; to be competetive, shouldn't DC use a modern artist who can
capture the imaginations of the youth of today?

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 9  

If anything I believe the animation crew working with Bruce Timm have as close to an "on model" look to Batman as there is and that's for TV or DVD!

"A while back somebody got the bright idea to mix the Indy style with superhero comics on a line-wide basis. Maybe it was Bill Jemas at Marvel. Quesada's early editorial push was certainly in that direction. It was cute for a little while, but it ended up giving us stories that were even further off the mark than the vapid comics of the 90's.

"It can be argued that Pope, Peter Bagge and others offer distinctive perspectives to superheroes. Let's give Jim Lee a chance to re-interpret Maus, using the cast of WildC.A.T.s . Have McFarlane go nuts with American Splendor. Let's see how the Indy fans like it when the shoe's on the other foot."

Is there anything like an indie artist anymore?  Is Frank Miller an indie artist?  Is Mike Mignola?  Both of them sure don't have an "on model" Batman they draw.  Was Toth an indie artist?  What makes an indie artist anyway? 

The industry is changing.   

It can't be argued that Pope, Bagge, Miller, Mignola and others offered distinctive perspectives on Batman and other heroes.  They did. 

I don't think anyone would care if McFarlane or Lee did MAUS or some other title. 

I don't see why so many cared about Pope's work on Batman of the future and Batman of the past. 

Was Neal Adams really the height of Batman?  By what measure?  Sales?  I would guess that the 1950s/1960s Batman books sold far more than the ones done by Neal Adams.  I believe it was by individual preference and that alone.   

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 10  

Lopez's art's great but it is 20 years old or more at
capture the imaginations of the youth of today?

••

What about those drawings would you say wouldn't "capture the
imaginations of the youth of today"?

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 11  

$5 will get you $10 that nobody will pay attention to any new style guide.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 12  

"I meant more for today. Lopez's art's great but it is 20 years old or more at
capture the imaginations of the youth of today?"

I don't know if such a thing exists but I doubt the youth of today make up the most buyers of comic books in all their incarnations. 

Garcia-Lopez did some wonderful covers on JB's Wonder Woman and is one of those artists who never goes "out of style" for me. 

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version