Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: OT- Paul Pope’s Batman designs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

Bummer.

••

Probably not. Frank had told me a little something about HOLY TERROR,
BATMAN, and I agree that where he was going would not have been a good
fit for the title character.

With any sort of luck, Frank should be able to turn it into something all his
own, tho, and that problem will evaporate.
Back to Top profile | search

Warren Leonhardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

You know, I really wish more editors thought that way. As Dave pointed out earlier, the civilians are getting left out because of a lack of that line of thinking.

Where does a civilian pick up a good ol' Batman story these days? The Cartoon Network tie-ins?

(edit: I mean for new all ages stories, not reprints)

Edited by Warren Leonhardt on 08 August 2008 at 7:26pm

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

Children aren't really coming into specialty shops that sell comics in droves.  Since the newsstand distribution went away so did the kids.  There are other reasons I am sure but that was a major one as far as I can tell.  

Derek Rogers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

NOTE: Apparently some of you need to be reminded that posing scans of
entire copyrighted stories is NOT ALLOWED.

=====================================

Oops.  Sorry about that.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

Michael-
where did Warren mention children? We're talking about any age group being confused by brand inconsistency.
As for children coming into comic stores, Newstand distribution died out what, 25 years ago? I think the problems of the industry have moved well passed that into things like manga, age inappropriateness, pricepoint, oversaturation, etc, etc, etc.
As for the Pope Batman, the curiosity is whether or not it would make a difference for DC to go back to the age of fixin' Kirby heads. Creating an "on model" Batman in an attempt to reach a larger market. You know, the one that's paid over $300 million to go to the movies, but won't buy comic books...

Edited by Dave Aikins on 08 August 2008 at 8:26pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

As far as superhero comics, here is your true Trinity.

These characters should be "brands" requiring fairly strict artistic perimeters.

Their iconic status requires a kind of formula of story-telling, but no more "formuliac" than a Sherlock Holmes or Tarzan yarn. Meaning, they are more limited by their basic integrity as icons, but their adventures can span any type of story genre. You can have a Superman Horror story. You can have Batman Bodice Ripper (you can). You can have Spider-Man Political Thriller. You can do absolutely anything with these characters, since their core integrity is so perfectly balanced.

So even though I don't fault anyone for their interpretation art-wise of Batman, I agree 1000% that comics need a firm entry-level icon such as these to sell comics, period, and then to "introduce" the rest of the characters of the company.

It's why I think the death of MARVEL TEAM-UP, DC PRESENTS starring Superman, and BRAVE AND THE BOLD starring Batman, all had such importance. The team-up titles gave readers a chance to see the icon and to experience a new character they'd never seen before.

I'd even say the critical failure of superhero comics in general might be directly tied to the demise of the team-up book with these icons.

The team-up titles should act as the most accessible titles on the market. Darwyn Cooke and Palmotti/Gray in recent times have demonstrated how to produce a successful comic around stand-alone or two-part tales. And Mark Waid was writing his team-up book of stand-alone stories meshed with ongoing subplots for momentum's sake (well, he flubbed it with a limp denouement, but everything can't be perfect).

What happened to the writers/artists who could legitimately produce solid, entertaining "short fiction" on a 30 day rotation?

I mean, it's true the team-up titles weren't exactly the best comics I ever read back when (though my favorite Batman story was in B&B)...but they were almost always entertaining.

I almost feel like it's a challenge that no one's ever successfully met over a long period. I'd think the team-up titles would be the perfect comic for a writer/artist to get involved in...the whole universe of characters, PLUS the BEST characters the company has? Where's the rub? It's gluttony of the good kind.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

BTW, this is an example of the new batman style guide art, which I adore. It appears to be Daniel Acuna art...

I will be buying my 9 month old son just about anything that has this batman on it, unless 80's Garcia Lopez art returns (which to it has, to some extent).
lucky kid.

Edited by Dave Aikins on 08 August 2008 at 10:12pm

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 8  

Also on shelves, at the same time, is this...

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

to be followed next year by this...

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

while still on the shelves is this...

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

and this (though it's on its way out)...

Edited by Dave Aikins on 08 August 2008 at 10:32pm

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

also this...

Is this confusing, or are these at least "close enough" to allow the average person to recognize Batman? Personally, the real loser here is the movie version, which should have been banished from any kids products for many reasons.
So if this is just the merchandise side of things, what happens with comics? How many of these Batmans will show up in the comic stores?
Super Friends and brave & Bold kids Batman will have comics. The Batman Strikes is ending, as well as JLU batman comics . Movie Bats has nothin but kids books, and the yellow oval Batman (as shown on the Band-aids) is missing in action.

Now I've realized that I have no idea where i'm going with this...
oh well. So very, very off topic...

Edited by Dave Aikins on 08 August 2008 at 10:34pm

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version