Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: OT- Paul Pope’s Batman designs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

The first thing I thought of when I saw the Tony Millionaire's pages.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

...and then we'll all laugh about poor Kirby's redone Supes heads.
good times...

Man, I love those Bizarro books. Marvel has one like it in the works. 7 years after DC...
There is something so great about "indie" artists drawing superheroes. Maybe cuz it's so wrong...
Probably, also, cuz it's so rare, as it should be. The Bizarro books are a novelty. There's no need to feel threatened by them as they're nothing more then fun experiments for a certain audience.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

NOTE: Apparently some of you need to be reminded that posing scans of
entire copyrighted stories is NOT ALLOWED.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

There's no need to feel threatened by them as they're nothing more then fun
experiments for a certain audience.

••

That's what the Moebius story was, too.

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

If DC can publish Frank Miller's Batman work they certainly can publish the others in Batman Black and White etc.  Miller was no where near the exalted Neal Adams in terms of the "DC" Batman.  For that matter, neither was Kaluta or Mignola. 

This whole thread reminds me of when DC redrew Kirby's Fourth World stuff because it didn't fit the DC "house style" and today there is room for other interpretations of Batman. 

There is an audience for Millionaire's Batman and I wish DC would give him a mini-series to work on. 

"Indie" artists? 

Anyway, here is one of Kaltua's takes on Batman:

And one of Kyle Baker's:

Now, very little of what we've seen in this thread (including Frank Miller's work) would have been published 20-30 years ago. 

It would seem many of you are behind the times. 

Edited by Michael Retour on 08 August 2008 at 4:44pm

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Moebius+Batman= Money well spent...

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 7  

"If DC can publish Frank Miller's Batman work they certainly can publish the others in Batman Black and White etc."

With the cancelation of Miller's newest/upcoming Holy Terror, Batman! book (or the stripping of batman from it), is it possible that DC has realized that they CAN'T publish Miller's Batman anymore...
or was this Miller's choice?

"It would seem many of you are behind the times. "

If I understood correctly, there was part of this discussion that brought up the idea on whether or not these specific versions actually helped sales or not. Now, being open to many unique versions is groovey and all, but there is still the argument that, in a declining comic industry, a main character like Batman should remain focused to a singular branding/image.
Currently, Batman products have 3-4 different style guides being used for merchandising: Dark Knight movie, The Batman cartoon (being discontinued), New DC Batman style guide (featuring yellow-oval Batman), and new cartoon "Brave & the Bold Batman. Add to this the JLU Timm Batman, the new Superfriends Batman, and the Garcia Lopez retro-80's style guide, and you have an amazing amount of different version of the same character to promote to the genreral public for merchandise alone. Combine that with zillions of Comic book versions, and it runs the risk of confusing the public, and diluting the brand.
The point being that in a time of declining sales, maybe confusiing the public (or offering too much variety) is a bad thing...
Who knows? We're so wrapped up in our "niche", it's hard for us to look at what an outsider might think.

Edited by Dave Aikins on 08 August 2008 at 4:59pm

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

Some of Mignola's Batman work and I don't believe both are from Gotham By Gaslight (set way back in time from Pope's Year 100). 

Edited by Michael Retour on 08 August 2008 at 4:53pm

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

"With the cancelation of Miller's newest/upcoming Holy Terror, Batman! book (or the stripping of batman from it), is it possible that DC has realized that they CAN'T publish Miller's Batman anymore... or was this Miller's choice?"

I really don't know.  I am not privilege to that sort of information.  I can't stand All-Star with Miller and Lee (except for the Miller covers).  I just don't care for Jim Lee's artwork. 

Nathaniel Botin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

Hi, new to the forum but  just saw Miller at comicon, where he just said that he decided not to continue with Batman Holy Terror because of the way his story has changed and that Batman wouldn't be a good fit.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 11  

Bummer.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

Much as I normally like Mignola's work, a pudgy bandy-legged Batman doesn't sit anymore right with me than acid tripping indie drug culture Batman does.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version