Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: OT- Paul Pope’s Batman designs (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

Once again, I do like Pope's work. I just don't think he is best suited for standard super-hero titles.

++

I love Pope's '100%' comic. And 'Heavy Liquid'. I own them both. But I'm one of those readers who prefers the 'larger than life' aspect of superheroes, and PP kinda makes Batman looks like a crazy dude in a set of long-johns and ski-doo boots at first glance. Upon reading the story, it's apparent it's a one-off, kinda weird story and that's cool. Will it bring down the industry? No.

Personally I like the 'stereotypical' superhero getups - skintights and outside undies and crazy capes/boots/chest insignias/whatever. The ones that stick out like a sore thumb in their environments because they're supposed to. Everyone notices a cop in a civilian crowd because of the uniform and what that uniform represents. Same thing with superhero getups, as outlandish as they might be in real life. To me, that's the entire point of the getup. When someone dressed like that shows up, something big is gonna happen. One of the reasons I prefer solo/duo titles is because the more rare these fancypants superheroes are in their environments, the more impact they project to the reader. No one else in the book is quite like them.

The police don't send undercover cops to quell a riot. I personally don't think editors should be sending some guy, woman or group dressed like 'Captain Underpants' to stop a supervillian either. (waitaminnit that was awesome) But hey, different tastes for every reader.

EDIT: Shout out to Mr. Lieber! Just finished 'Whiteout' for the first time and it was outstanding.

Edited by Warren Leonhardt on 07 August 2008 at 7:27pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

Upon reading the story, it's apparent it's a one-off, kinda weird story and
that's cool. Will it bring down the industry? No.

••

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE KILLING JOKE were "one-off" stories, too.

Warren Leonhardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE KILLING JOKE were "one-off" stories, too.
++

'Batman: Year 100' isn't as good story-wise, so I can't see it setting the 'ball rolling' like those two you've cited did - I don't think it sold so well as to set a misguided 'precedent' for other projects.

I think I see your point, though. Those two stories changed the tone of comics for better or worse. I think this might also tie into 'The Watchmen's knock on effect.

And now, I have to admit as a lapsed reader, I have trouble figuring out which Batman is which when I look at the shelf - honestly, it applies to all of the heroes I read about as a kid. Is what you're saying this PP design is just adding to an accumulated effect of de-unique-ing superheroes?

Edited by Warren Leonhardt on 07 August 2008 at 7:52pm

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

(Even Jack Kirby, who began FANTASTIC FOUR with a more "realistic"
approach to their uniforms, eventually tightened and tailored them into
something more traditional.)

I agree that he did just that, but I would argue that he had another agenda. Kirby more likely did this because it was easier, and faster, far faster to do so on a regular basis.

However I agree that the end result is preferable. It's the reason actors usually don't look "right" in the costume. They costumes aren't supposed to be realistic, they arer supposed to be super, fantastic, uncanny even!

And the industry, instead of realizing this, is making the costumes look like there's an actor in them ( Alex Ross?). Let me stretch a point till it screams to the breaking point. It's like politcal correctness has been used to make all people in costumes equal ( visually ). Actors as well as the image on paper.

You can't get anymore backwards than that.

Edit: Senility...

Edited by Michael Huber on 07 August 2008 at 8:56pm

Derek Rogers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

When JB was hired to do the Doom Patrol, I was happy to see Negative Man redesigned, new team costumes, new team members, etc.  That's what I want to see - JB's interpretation of the characters.  And yes, they were iconic - that's JB's style.  When Pope was hired to do Batman, I was already familiar with his fluid, gritty and expressive art style and that's the Batman I wanted to see.  I knew I wasn't going to get the handsome square-jawed archetypal superhero and that's fine.  I do agree that should be what the norm is but I also think that there should also be room for variation on that norm.  And if it gets people to buy comics, then great.  I mean it's an Elseworlds book, it's set in the future, and it's not (maybe) the original Batman.  It doesn't affect the mainstream title.  I know it sounds dark but Batman Year 100 was actually a really fun read.  Recomended!

Has anyone read the Bizarro comic collection?  If you thought Pope's Batman was ugly, Tony Millionaire's take on the character is downright hideous.  But I love them all just the same.

P.S. I don't think Pope's Batman is ugly.  He's interesting looking.  Like how Benicio Del Toro is interesting looking and not really ugly.  How does that dude get chicks?

Edited by Derek Rogers on 07 August 2008 at 11:20pm

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 6  

What's not to love?

I love those Bizarro books!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Derek Rogers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 7  

Wow Dave!  I'm so envious!  Thanks for sharing!

Warren Leonhardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 8  

HAHA! That's so wrong it's right.

On an upnote, I stopped by my small town library today. There was a copy of 'The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told' and it was beat to heck. Kids have read that thing to pieces - pages taped in, jacket laminated twice to keep it from falling off. That's just a great sign that kids are still reading what they can get their paws on while other versions of Batman are floating around.

Edited by Warren Leonhardt on 08 August 2008 at 9:23am

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 9  

I was thinking about all the hullabaloo over Pope here and then got out my Batman Black and White books.  We all have our favorites but to look at just how many "Batmen" there are.  That what was so great about books like SOLO.  A fan could see a specific artist's interpretation of DC characters.  The same with the Bizarro books DC released which gave many artists a chance to draw a character they loved. 

Tony Millionaire's Batman I like too and would really enjoy another Batman Black and White series from DC.  I love black and white art. 

I guess by now ( ! ) people know I am a huge fan of Pope so was a bit zealous and I apologize if I offended anyone.  That wasn't my intent.  I don't post a lot on the forum but enjoy reading it and seeing all the great art JB posts. 

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 10  

If you thought Pope's Batman was ugly, Tony Millionaire's take on the character is downright hideous. 

Any examples?

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 11  

Other than the sketch Dave posted, that is...

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 12  

It's got to be better than that right?

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version