Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Alex Toth Critiques Steve Rude’s Pencils (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hey Chad,  you're probably right, maybe he was disappointed in S. Rude.   It sounds like  Steve Rude has things he needs to work on,   I wonder if Toth would have communicated differently would it have been a way Rude could have "heard" it.  And then there would be a different conversation going on now.

Back to Top profile | search

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 2  

Um, not to sound like a fawning fanboy, but compared to the excesses of certain other pencillers of the last 20 years in the comics industry,  I think Steve Rude comes out somewhere near the top as a master of his craft. I'm more than prepared to forgive him a few liberties if the finished product is as engaging and dynamic as Nexus and the Moth have been. Just wish he were a little more prolific, is all.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 3  

Rude is an excellent artist. Which is why sloppiness such as is seen on the
MOTH page is a problem. From a lesser artist I would expect this, not from
Rude.

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 4  

John,

Perhaps this is out of place but I'd love you to critique the page offered from the Moth.  I just am not seeing the problems (maybe being a fan I don't want to).  I am a huge fan of yours and saw the problems on Action with the inking but that's different.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 5  

I'd love you to critique the page offered from the Moth.

••

Compare the original page and the "redrawn" pencils, and you will see that
Rude has actually addressed most (tho not all) the problems.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 6  

I must confess to being unable to see any addressing of the problems (except maybe panel 4, but that seems to introduces a new problem); but I'm not suggesting it isn't there.  Here's a handy side-by-side comparison of the two pages for anyone inclined to study the differences.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 06 August 2008 at 4:21pm

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

Again, big fan of Steve Rude, but.. in the inking book that The Moth page is featured in, I recall Steve explaining that in the splash panel he uses the technique of using the point of impact as the light source... but I haven't really noticed any other artist do this, and I find it a little distracting, as if The Moth's feet are aglow, or a light-bulb has exploded between his feet and the bad guys chest.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

The problems just don't have enough relevance to matter. The original page, seen compared, is far superior, with the nice gas effect of panel 4. Even the body of the "central" thug in panel 3 is turning, while in the published version he is already turned.

Looks like to me Rude must of gone back to "fix" the page and gotten confused on the lay-out of the room, almost as if the panels were done individually without any reference to the others, which is weird.

Still, again, I wish he'd stuck with the original. Even the Moth's left leg in panel 5 and his overall posture is better.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I recall Steve explaining that in the splash panel he uses the technique of using the point of impact as the light source... but I haven't really noticed any other artist do this"

Kirby did it. He used to show the shock of impact as a sort of stylized explosion of light, as I recall, with speed/force/movement lines radiating from the point of impact. It is a more powerful version of the old cartoon standard of showing "pain stars" or the like at the point of impact.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

Dan, Rude didn't actually ink that page for that book, unless you're referring to another inking book, in which case, my apologies. 

Chad, for my clarification, are you referring to the penciled page as the original?

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yes, Paulo. Don't mean to confuse.

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2008 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

Ok after checking the book, it's (one of the book's) inker Gary Martin who says he is following Rude's use of 'light emanating from the force of the blow' technique 'that Jack used so well.' Of course I am familiar with Kirby and everyone else using 'force lines' (or whatever the correct term is)  radiating from a blow to add visual impact. I love them, and they are seldom seen these days... but even so, and even with Kirby, I don't recall the point of impact being an actual light source - so there wouldn't be shadows cast or line weights reduced because of it, even for dramatic effect (unless it was some kind of energy blast that, etc)... maybe I'm wrong, I'll check out some Kirby and see. JB's opinion very welcome on this point.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version