Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Alex Toth Critiques Steve Rude’s Pencils (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

You know, I'm of two minds on this.

For one, Rude is a great comic book illustrator. I love THE MOTH. I didn't pick up on all these details when I read it.

Could it be Rude was having trouble with this sequence himself? How about that? A creative guy having trouble with his work. Who'd a thought?

That's not mind-reading, folks, that's fact. If Rude was having space considerations, if he wasn't quite sure where he was going, if he was in a hurry to get to that awesome panel smack in the center of the page...I could give a damn. It's good enough to get the point across.

Yeah, studying it, Rude may have taken liberty with that white border which invites us readers to "fill in" the time/space issue comics so easily overcomes compared to prose or even film.

And sure, one of Rude's dudes goes from wearing a turtleneck to wearing a shirt and tie. All right. The Dude's focus is off on the details.

It just doesn't matter to me. We barely have enough good to great clean and clear artists as it is and we bust one of them's balls because WE think something's wrong?

You can't read THE MOTH and get the very clear and clean idea that Rude loves the character, the world he inhabits? You can't get the idea Rude really wants to tell that story? You aren't able to commit to a conspiracy of F-U-N with Rude and the Moth because of a couple off panel selections?

Where's this stuff end? We also get retarded commentary on Rich Buckler's swiping...but he still created Deathlok and produced a horde of good solid comics back when. It's the old joke about making love to thousands of women, that's a great man, but suck one c**k and you're a c**ksucker for life.

Buckler's a swiper, Vinnie Colletta is an art-maiming ape, Steve Rude's an unprofessional dabbler...and yet each of them could earn a paycheck doing what us wanna-be's can only dream about.

Edited by Chad Carter on 04 August 2008 at 4:34pm
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

Truth is, pick any artist, and I'd say you can find a panel here or there that isn't quite right. From either the way it's composed, or technically drawn, they aren't machines, they're people. Well, most of 'em.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Just because you're good doesn't mean you're above criticism, unless you're perfect and we know nobody is that.  Of course, I don't just criticize people out of the blue, especially if they are people whose work I admire.  But in the context of this thread, which discusses a critique of pages by Rude by the legendary Alex Toth, it seemed a good place to mention it, since it perhaps illustrates what Toth (and Timm) were talking about. 

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

Are we really saying that Steve Rude is an unprofessional dabbler? Toth certainly suggested nothing of the sort. A lot of us are merely agreeing with Toth on his criticism, because as he points out the flaws in Rude's storytelling they become obvious.

Now, one would presume that when Rude asked for a critique, he wasn't asking for praise, but pointers on how to improve. And Toth tells him exactly what he needs to do in order to improve.

Rude's own account of his reaction suggests that he was too busy making excuses to appreciate the lesson. The page from The Moth is an example of later work where he exhibits the same storytelling problems that Toth warned him about. That is its relevance.

There is a lesson in this, and I'd say it is that when you ask someone you respect for advice you should listen to it, no matter how much you don't want to hear what is being said. And that's a lesson that a lot of aspiring artists, like myself, would have benefited greatly from not realizing first hand. A decade or two too late.

As for Buckler being a swiper and Colletta "maiming" art? Well, it's the truth. Certainly it should be accompanied by their positives (When he wanted to, Colletta drew or inked some of the prettiest women in Romance comics) but it's not the case of the bad behaviour being a small part of their career, either in volume or significance.  

Using your analogy, the "cocksucking" would be Buckler not swiping or Colletta  not "hacking".  

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

"Could it be Rude was having trouble with this sequence himself? How
about that? A creative guy having trouble with his work. Who'd a thought?

That's not mind-reading, folks, that's fact. If Rude was having space
considerations, if he wasn't quite sure where he was going, if he was in a
hurry to get to that awesome panel smack in the center of the page...I
could give a damn. It's good enough to get the point across."
-----
I'm puzzled by your "that's fact" statement. What fact are you referring to?
The statements preceding this assertion are rhetorical questions; the
statements after it are speculations.

I'm also not sure where the "unprofessional dabbler" comment is coming
from. As far as I can tell, you're the only one who's called Rude anything
like that. For my money, Rude is an extremely talented illustrator. To
imply his work must never be critiqued because it's fun is just silly.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

Sorry Ray, not suggesting the Dude is above reproach or criticism. As I was reading through the thread, I was thinking of other external criticisms I've read elsewhere about Rude. That's where "unprofessional dabbler" comes from. My choice to actually put a title to it, the culmination of a lot of hard criticism of Rude's work, as if the man is slumming or something, or he can't take the time to learn his craft. I doubt that's the case.

As far as "that's fact"? I'm writing a 400 page novel and I know how hard it is to get through some parts of it. You start taking short-cuts, you start justifying sloppy continuity, you even go full-hack and rip somebody else off if you're desperate. Sometimes you just can't stand to write another word of That Chapter, or you're in a hurry to plow through to what DOES interest you. And anybody who's trying to produce work like that is bound to run into the struggle.

I'm overprotective of Rude, to a degree. I think the man has loads of talent AND his head is in the right place where it concerns what comics are/should be. He wants to return comics to a certain place in time, a better place, and he's willing to put his money where his mouth is (well, he WAS...don't know about now, as I'm still waiting for the good word on new Moth material, or new Rude in general from his company); I wish to god there were more like him.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Incidentally, the Moth sequence I posted is the same used in The Art of Comic Book Inking (which I recommend), though the page was redrawn for that volume and contains some noticeable differences and a completely different panel 4--

The page is inked by several inkers, incl. Mark Farmer, Gary Martin (the author) and Joe Rubenstein, which is cool.  Of course, the pencils are gorgeous but, to raise a relevant point, I have to wonder if the goon in panel 3 is the same as in panel 4, because the gun has switched hands.  Either way, it's another lapse in panel-to-panel continuity.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

It's the same lapse in the published version. Moth is shown taking out the thug pulling the gun, who pulled it right handed but has it in left hand above, and in the published.

In the published it isn't so noticeable, as the gun COULD be falling from either pinned thug hand.

But I much prefer this version of panel 4, even though the published both establishes Moth better and emphasizes his agility (which admittedly would be hard for anyone to pull off, considering Moth's initial face kick with both feet would push him back...even Spider-Man might have trouble making a flip off a face-kick).

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

As you say, the gun could be falling from either hand in the published version.  However, I notice with some dismay that the gun model is different between panels in the published version, which is a reason to prefer the alternate panel, where the model is at least similar; just needs to be reversed.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 04 August 2008 at 6:55pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

Andy Mokler wrote:
Something I haven't been able to figure out, did Toth actually want to give this critique at all?  From what I've gathered, it seems Rude had to ask more than once and if Toth was as surly(?) as is being told, I imagine being pestered about a critique would not put him in the best of moods.

Indeed.  To me that explains his response when Rude called him on the phone afterwards.  Rude pesters him to do the critique.  He finally gives in and does it, putting what seems like a fair amount of time and effort into it (hand-lettering it, for God's sake).  Then Rude wants to call him to complain about what he wrote in it?  Seriously, how many of you wouldn't also want to tell Rude to f*ck off at that point?  "You begged me for this, I gave it to you, and now you want to complain because you don't like what it says?"

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 04 August 2008 at 7:00pm

Bryan White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

Wow,  I'm amazed, no one here has ever wanted to explain themselves to someone who was giving them a critique.  No one has ever wanted one of their idols to understand what they were doing wasn't a fake, but the "idol" didn't have all the info.  And no one here has ever obsessed over something that was graded incorrectly, even at the expense of the the things that deserved to be pointed out

I also guess if I couldn't do something politely, I wouldn't do it, unless my employer forced me to do it.  If Steve Rude was being really annoying about it, stop answering the phone, change the locks on your door, get a restraining order.

To imply that someone's critiques are excused for being discourteous , just because they are a legend, is silly.

Yes it would be nice if SR took a few more pages from AT's book or at least his critique, as it would have been nice if Mr Toth had been more civil

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Paulo, you're right about the gun make as well.

Bryan, I can only say Toth doesn't come off as a mean bastard to me. He just comes off as a guy who expects the best out of someone as talented as Rude. In Toth's eyes, Rude was shirking. And I imagine Toth is railing against a new comic book culture who doesn't take as much pride in the work, and with Rude being the rare talent who not only could, but could redefine the talent around him and influence others toward better art, he's serving tough love.

That's my take. Of course, the Allred thing sounds like Toth was also prideful in other ways, and maybe mentorship wasn't his bag to begin with.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version