Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Alex Toth Critiques Steve Rude’s Pencils (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

I used to help out at some weekend comics courses arranged in relation to a comics convention, and once there was this kid, who had decided that the comic he'd been working on penciling was going to be inked all with a brush, even though he'd never inked with a brush before. I tried to show him how it was done, and told him he might consider using pens until he'd learnt how to use the brush (since he apparently was on a deadline).

He just looked at me and went back to smearing wobbly, thick ink lines over his pencils with a watercolor brush. He didn't even consider lightening up on the pressure he used on the brush.

I saw his comic later, when he had it printed up. Every page was badly inked with a brush.

Lots of stories like that, unfortunately. Too many people who don't listen. And we had seasoned comics professionals running the courses, too. I just helped out as a go-fer.

Back to Top profile | search

Bosch Fawstin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

Here's what Alex Toth had to say about my first graphic novel, Table for One, which I break down as 'Dirty Harry as a waiter.'

P.S. Is it this hilarious, Knut?

Edited by Bosch Fawstin on 03 August 2008 at 10:22pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

Rude for Steve but mostly, if not totally, correct I must say.

Toth judgment was sharp.
Steve Rude is a very good artist with impressive craftmanship but, although
he obviously improved over the years, storytelling still isn't his strong point.

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

Bosch, I actually bought that a few years ago. Your art is incredible.

Michael Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

It really, really is brilliant work, Anthony. Bosch is one of the best talents in the business.

Bosch Fawstin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks, Anthony, Mike.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

I agree with Paul's point that no one is allowed to be a dick just for the sake of hurting people.  But maybe I had a harsh childhood or something because I don't see Toth being all that hard.  He keeps saying things like "you're too talented to make these mistakes" and I agree.  I think Rude's work has a luster that I would kill for-- but it has a storytelling weakness that Toth delivers the prescription for.  If Rude were to take Toth's advice, his work would take a giant step up in quality.   He is too good to make the mistakes he makes.   Too bad Mr. Toth wasn't able to deliver his critique more effectively.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2008 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

By the way, cool story about Mr. Toth's Wonder Woman drawing!!

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 9  

As a non-artist who's read comics for about a billion years, I find my artistic concerns can boil down to a couple of things when it comes to deciding whether or not I'm going to read a title:

1) Am I aware of having to 'work' to interpret an artist in situations where I shouldn't have to? To use two examples, I remember finding the Miller/Sienkiewicz Elektra: Assassin to be somewhat 'heavy lifting' when I first read it, but that heavy lifting worked within the context of the story.

I also remember finding the first issue of the Millar/Hitch Fantastic Four to be heavy lifting, but the work didn't derive from any stylistic or content-related difficulty of the text itself: I just couldn't follow the panel progression without giving myself a headache.

2) Does the artist's skill at layout and continuity sometimes make me read so fast that I have to go back and check over things later? I guess I'd call this 'artistic plotting skill.' There are lots of Kirby and Ditko and other artists' works that cause me to rollick through the story in question in much the same way that a gripping storyteller can sometimes cause me to skip over paragraphs in order to find out what's going to happen next.

In super-hero comics, I'd call this the most important skill (or set of skills). I don't care that much about the sometimes wacky distance between the legs of Kirby's male heroes: I do care that I can burn through 200 pages of Lee/Kirby FF in the time it take me to read 50 pages of a mediocre comic. Savouring the art of Kirby or Ditko (or Toth) is something I see as a second or third-time-through reading attribute.

Cheers, Jon

Robbie Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 10  

Steve Rude apparently submitted his book to be critiqued by one of his heroes and Toth obliged.  Sometimes the truth is not what one would like to hear and often it hurts.  But we all agree Steve is a great artist so perhaps it did help along the way.

Flashback to the Medusa/Spidey sketch:  Did anyone catch Spidey's funky leg just above the "2003?"  Did Medusa break it?  It seems a bit stretchy. 

Edited by Robbie Cook on 03 August 2008 at 5:19am

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 11  

You can barely tell Johnny Quest is the hero of this. Anything but him's the center of attention. Maybe it's good for Steve Rude fans, but it's not very good for JQ fans (if there are any) and they're the ones that really matter in the strip. The camel is dull, it has it's head completely turned away from us.

As for the gun, I don't know much, but every game I played with an Assault Riffle, they are fired from the hip and it is a spray weapon you can hit multiple targets with it.  I guess it doesn't really matter, but it's nice to read fiction that contains some accurate facts.

I have to say I like that Toth has enough faith in the reader's intelligence when he said the reader will learn.

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

Paulo we will just have to agree to disagree on Rude's storytelling abilities.  I think he has them and the Moth pages prove it for me.  You don't think so and listed the reasons why.  Fair enough. 

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version