Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: 5 Worst Superheroes...? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 1  

Just to tie the two main themes of my thread together, I should note for the record that the very worst superhero of all time (Madame Fatal notwithstanding) is probably from a comic book I self-published in the late 90s featuring Rush Limbaugh as Captain OxyContin.
Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Poehler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 2  

There are hundreds of far worse radio personalities out there than Stern.

Bob Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3  

Michael Savage, Ba-ba-booey. Michael Savage.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 4  

Limbaugh has talent and I enjoy him for entertainment purposes, but name one time he ever espoused anything but the strict Republican party line.  Nobody could be that in lockstep and not be a bit of a shill.  Even Bill O'Reilly (who I can't abide) occasionally questions certain extreme aspects of conservatism.

Limbaugh is syndicated in more markets so overall he may have had more listeners, but at the height of Stern on free radio in the markets where Howard went head to head with Limbaugh, it wasn't a contest.  As far as ratings, in almost any major media market where he was broadcast on free radio (New York, Los Angeles, Boston, etc.) Howard wiped the floor with Limbaugh's ratings.    In New York, Howard routinely got in the nines versus Limbaugh getting in the twos or threes.

It was almost always politics which caused Howard to be dropped, and whenever he'd get dropped in a major market, another station in the same area would routinely step up and take over his show.  Howard didn't go to satellite because of low ratings or an inability to get sponsors, he left because the FCC was threatening to target and massively fine his show if he didn't pull way back.  He preferred to move to a medium where he could do what he wanted without interference (and the $500 million payday probably influenced him, too...) 

They're both talented, successful, very different broadcasters.  I seriously doubt anyone will convert anyone else here on who is "better," though.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

I suspect Rush Limbaugh's fans would be less willing to pay for the privilege of listening to him than Howard Stern's fans are.  Sterns' fans are fanatics, so of course they're happy to pay for their daily dose of their enlightened master.  Rush's fans are Republicans, which means they're cheapskates (I kid, I kid) as well as more conservative and hence less likely to suddenly be willing to pay for something that's always been free before. 

Don't be so sure...Republicans have money :-)  And plenty of them shell out $$ for his web site membership and that crappy Limbaugh Letter.

It was almost always politics which caused Howard to be dropped, and whenever he'd get dropped in a major market, another station in the same area would routinely step up and take over his show. 

That stopped happening in many markets towards the end though. He was dropped in Atlanta and didn't get picked back up. Same in Charlotte. The problem mainly was advertising. His ratings were never a problem as far as I know...but stations were able to make more money off a lower rated show bc of advertising sales.

Howard didn't go to satellite because of low ratings or an inability to get sponsors, he left because the FCC was threatening to target and massively fine his show if he didn't pull way back. He preferred to move to a medium where he could do what he wanted without interference (and the $500 million payday probably influenced him, too...) 

True...and I think he liked the idea of being a pioneer, ie. the first "superstar" to go strictly to satellite radio. And not have to deal with the hassles of syndication anymore.

They're both talented, successful, very different broadcasters.  I seriously doubt anyone will convert anyone else here on who is "better," though.

I agree...and they're both WAY too different as far as format, style, audience, etc. anyway.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

from a comic book I self-published in the late 90s featuring Rush Limbaugh as Captain OxyContin

Really? Interesting, since the story of Limbaugh's oxycontin use didn't break until 2003.

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

Agreed, too. It's a comedy show.

Then why isn't it funny?

Because you're reading someone's summary of it rather than hearing the
actual broadcast.

It would be as if I summarized a Richard Pryor bit; the comedy is in the
timing, the inflection, the character behind it. Every comedian knows-- they
don't laugh at the joke, they laugh at you.

Dan Charles
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

Howard probably isn't aware of all the lameasses like Shatterstar, Azrael or Ripclaw.

I think you have to limit the conversation at least to the A list heroes. Would anbody really care or put up an argument if you said Matter-Eater Lad? Would be different if Stern was asked who he thought the most ludicrous heroes were.

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Because you're reading someone's summary of it rather than hearing the
actual broadcast.

I've listened to Stern in the past. I found most of the humor to be childish (and I'm a guy who appreciates good childish humor) and bottom line...not entertaining. His show on E was an excercise in disgusting.

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

I suppose then its just a matter of taste, Brian.

There are a large variety of movies, books, comedians, etc. that I don't mind
entertaining in the least; I wouldn't suggest quality is the sole reason.

Put it this way-- Howard Stern is the only person in radio to do what he did;
if it was just a simple matter of childish filth, why wouldn't there be a bunch
of people doign the same exact thing with near levels of success?

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

BTW, Dan has won the avatar contest.

Patrick Graffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

who is that in his avatar?

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>