Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: 5 Worst Superheroes...? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 1  

Jim Rome is terrible!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Christopher Alan Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 2  

Aquaman is easy to write. Just cut off his hand and give him a hook.
Back to Top profile | search

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 3  

how many other radio hosts could have brought over the millions of subscibers he brought over to Sirius?

Rush Limbaugh would have brought more.

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

Aquaman is easy to write. Just cut off his hand and give him a hook.

While I don't think Aquaman is a bad character by any means, I have to say I haven't ready many Aquaman stories I've really liked. Some of the late '70s stuff (Michelinie & Aparo, I believe) is the only Aquaman that really piqued my interest.

I checked out some of Peter David stuff from the 1990s, since he's considered the definitive Aquaman writer by many. I generally like David's work a great deal, but I couldn't get into this -- it always seemed like I was missing out on too much backstory. Perhaps it's because I only found selected issues -- I never read an uninterrupted string of his Aquaman stories.

Edited by Bruce Buchanan on 31 July 2008 at 12:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 5  

Rush Limbaugh would have brought more.

How do you know?

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

How do you know?

Bc he's always had a bigger audience and better ratings than Stern.

Derek Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm surprised that Howard didn't include The Flash.  I remember years ago he and Robin went a giggle fest about how silly his powers were.  I think that some of the worst superheroes are the most popular ones  not because they are poorly crafted characters; moreover, because the way they're handled in comics -- for example, Wolverine and Batman.  They work very well as solo characters, but many times we see them in teams -- this is where they break down for me. 

There are times that Batman appears to be almost psychic.  I understand that he's an extremely capable detective, even with elaborate technolody and highly developed detective skills; however, he's still a non-powered human.  Many writers pump his capabilities up so much that he ceases to be enjoyable, at least to me -- this is true for Wolverine as well.  Wolverine in the X-Men, or any team title for that matter, is so convoluted with his abilities and their limits, or the lack thereof, that he shouldn't even consider himself part of the human or mutant race -- move over Galactus, Wolverine is the house!  Wolverine was only great on teams during the early years because he was the Leroy Jenkins of the X-Men and that made him interesting!  Again, these are great characters on their own but I think they're the worst on teams.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

Why is running fast silly?

Derek Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

I didn't think running fast was silly, but apparently at the time, Howard did. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

I checked out some of Peter David stuff from the 1990s, since he's considered the definitive Aquaman writer by many. I generally like David's work a great deal, but I couldn't get into this -- it always seemed like I was missing out on too much backstory. Perhaps it's because I only found selected issues -- I never read an uninterrupted string of his Aquaman stories.

His Atlantis Chronicles was pretty good, but his Aquaman royally sucked.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

SIRIUS just bought XM this week.  They just changed their name to SIRIUS XM, and now have over 18 million subscribers (including my lifetime subscription).  I've been a die-hard Howard Stern fan since 1982, about one year less than I've been die-hard John Byrne Fan.  I wouldn't want to live in a world without either of them.

James Olson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

SIRIUS just bought XM this week.  They just changed their name to SIRIUS XM, and now have over 18 million subscribers (including my lifetime subscription).  I've been a die-hard Howard Stern fan since 1982, about one year less than I've been die-hard John Byrne Fan.  I wouldn't want to live in a world without either of them.

Agreed.

As far as the discussion went this morning?  It's mostly satire when he does these lists.  They are off the top of his head, and he comes up with silly reasons to substatiate them.  <Aand I think the Marvel "martian" he was thinking of was Vision.>  I wouldn't take his lists too seriously, it's not like he's Ralph or something.   

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version