Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 94 Next >>
Topic: Customizing Statues and Action Figures Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Molds?  Heck, I've got 1-pc RTV, 1-pc latex, 2-pc RTV, and even 3-pc RTV.  Depends on the part I'm casting.  Heads work well with 1-pc molds, and anything that needs two defined sides needs a 2-pc.  I use latex for when I need only a couple of copies of a piece, and RTV when I need several.  There's probably as many methods for mold making as there are mold makers.

For mold boxes, it's hard to beat Legos or Lego knock-offs.  They disassemble  and reassemble easily and give consistent, repeatable shapes.  The RTV peels right off of them, and I can configure them to pretty much any size I need.

Lessee, anything else Iearned the hard way?  Lots.

1)  Use Kleen Klay or identical brand to lay-up molds.  Common kids modelling clay contains sulfur, which will inhibit the RTV's ability to cure.  Makes for a gooey mess.

2)  DON'T use the wooden craft sticks to stir the A and B resin mixture.  Wood can trap moisture from the air and transfer it to the resin.  Moisture makes resin foam.  Makes for a foamy mess.

3) If you're making 2-part molds make sure you coat the first part with a rubber to rubber mold release before pouring the second part.  You'll want to be able to remove your patterns from the cured mold.

4)  Baby powder or talcum makes a good mold release when casting resin parts.  It also breaks the surface tension of the liquid resin, allowing it to flow into the mold cavity better and reduce air bubbles.

5)  Do NOT get this stuff on your hands.  Not only does it become hard as a rock after it cures, it gives off heat (about 120 degrees, as I recall), and can burn.  Use the latex gloves and lay down newspapers to prevent permanent additions to the dining room table and divorce attorney fees.

6)  Don't be in too big a hurry to remove cast parts from the mold.  Make sure you allow plenty of time for the resin to cure.  Otherwise the parts will deform from the stress placed on them during de-molding.

There's probably more, but that's all I've got right now.

Back to Top profile | search

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wow -- good info, Steve!  I've seen most of these tips elsewhere, but it's good to hear it from someone you "know" who has some experience!

THANKS!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2008 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Any time, John.  Lemme know how things work out for you.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 25 August 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I went to the local Hobby Lobby over the weekend hoping to use last week's 40% off coupon to pick up the Alumilite "super" kit, but the only Alumilite product they had on the shelf was the Amazing Putty. 

:-(

I passed on that and went online when I got home to see if they would honor the coupon for Web orders -- unfortunately the coupon is only good in-store, but shipping is free for online orders over $25, which made the Alumilite "super" kit cheaper via Hobby Lobby's online ordering than going direct through the Alumilite site. 

Casting aside, I made a little progress on the Iron Man figurine over the weekend, but I could use some artistic input/criticism -- if you wouldn't mind providing me with some feedback on that, Steve, drop me an e-mail (use the link below) and I'll forward you the latest work-in-progress pics.

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2008 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

E-mail sent, John.

The major beef I have with Alumilite is that they protect their distributors (like Hobby Lobby) price-wise.  The only way I can get any kind of a price break would be to become a distributor myself, and that sounds too much like work.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 27 August 2008 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Message received, reply sent -- thanks Steve (and you too, Ryan!).

:-)

Don't know if you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, but if you sign up for their e-mail newsletter you receive a "40% off any item" coupon around once a month or so -- if you can find something pricey like the Alumilite Super kit in-stock, the 40% off coupon helps a lot (unfortunately, the coupons are only good for a week, and you're at the mercy of the store's shelf stock).

:-(

Wayne K Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2008 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wow!  I'm late to this thread but am I ever impressed.  These are great and look like a ton of fun!  I may give something a whirl.

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 27 August 2008 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just a quick shout out to Jodi for the FX custom Mugg. I got it and it has a
place of honor (beside the Hercules statue) in my library. Thanks very
much, Jodi!

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2008 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Can't wait for Jodi's My Little Fantastic Four Ponies...

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2008 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Wayne glad you liked it and thrilled it's in a place of honor.

Al the Little ponies are on a holding pattern, I had an MRI and I tore a tendon in my right shoulder (which completely sucks because I am right handed), they are seeing if physical therapy and a steroid injection will improve it, so far nothing has helped, so I may be looking at surgery. :0(  I can still work some, but I am only able to get some back orders filled before it hurts too much, which leaves me no "Funtime" It is driving me crazy!!!!  I have Galactus Little Pony almost all penciled out and I just want to get it finished because I was double dogged/cat dared to do it. :0)

Back to Top profile | search | www

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2008 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Jodi, I will be more then willing to retract my double dog/cat dare until your shoulder gets better. Getting a MLP Galactus would not be much fun if you hurt yourself more. But I do admire your tenacity!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2008 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ouch ! How did you hurt your shoulder? 

<< Prev Page of 94 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version