Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Ben Grimm, Kung Fu Fighter? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2008 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

Wouldn't a martial art developed for beings of these power levels need to
be radically different than a martial art created for regular people?

For example, an ordinary person could judo flip and ordinary person, but
couldn't judo flip a car. There's a limit to the amount of force a person
can redirect. For characters that can shatter the streets below their
opponents or swing a bus like a nightstick, the rules would change
somewhat. You can get the Hulk in a full-nelson but he can then just leap
a mile into the air or crush the ground below you to break the hold.

And the problem it seems for Ben is being able to finish off the Hulk. He
could flip the Hulk or put the Hulk in an armbar or something along these
lines, but the Hulk will just continuously get madder and stronger while
Ben would get more and more tired as the fight wears on.

In any case, while some training would help these guys, the best training
is experience-- seeing what works and what doesn't in real life situations.
There's a big difference between what happens in a classroom and what
happens in a streetfight. Based on that, I'd wager both Wonder Man and
the Thing are using their abilities to the best of their ability already.
Back to Top profile | search

John C. Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

ok this may be off topic but i've always thought that if Superman learned half of the martial arts that say,..Batman or Richard Dragon knew he'd be alot more of an efficent fighter now before everyone attacks me we know that Superman (depending on who the writer is,..) is supposedly the most powerful Hero in the DCU, but imagine if you will if he had some martial arts training maybe he wouldn't of died when he fought Doomsday of course we know he doesn't kill,..well except for the pocket universe Kryptonian Villains,...but again if he did Lobo wouldn't of gotten the best of him? the reason why i brought this up is because like Ben Grimm Superman is more of a brawler then a skilled fighter like Batman or Wonder Woman, or even Orion so i would like to lump Supes into this catagory also and ask should he learn some martial arts also?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2008 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

In the recent WORLD WAR Z novel about Earth overrun by zombies, someone actually develops a martial art specificially to fight multiple zombie attackers, bare-handed.

Now, this isn't really gone into, but it's worth noting in relation to Anthony's post.

Wouldn't someone, Cap or Black Panther or Iron Fist, knowing the Hulk or Count Nefaria or Gladiator or somebody is a threat, go up to Ben Grimm or Wonder Man or Ms. Marvel and say, "I've developed a martial art to deal with them. And it adapts to fit superhuman fight prowess."

Doesn't matter if it's a tank like Ben, or a Superman like Simon, they are handed a martial art designed to negate the worst force of the opponent while highlighting their power attacks against the foe...

Because you know Iron Fist or Cap, or particularly Black Panther, have ideas about physical battles with superhuman foes. If they themselves had superhuman strength, ect, here's what they would do.

All men who are fighters have these thoughts. Why should Iron Fist be surprised by anything the Hulk throws at him, when there's more than enough documentation to support at entire training regimen around dealing with the Hulk as a hand-to-hand combatant?

This knowledge can be passed on.

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2008 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

That makes sense. My issue was more that you can take a martial art as
is
and have it be effective against any old superhero.

Not only that, but you'd have to train for various powers-- your strategy for
fighting Spider-Man would have to be very different than your strategy for
fighting Cyclops which would have to be different for fighting the Hulk
which...

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2008 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't think these characters spend a lot of time thinking about how to make themselves even tougher or better fighters.  They aren't roleplaying or video game characters where ""powering up" happens automatically.  It takes time, and I think a lot of these characters have interests they want to do when they're not being heroes.

The Thing helps Reed in the lab, dates Alicia, drinks beer at Yancy Street, and still test pilots on the side.  Those are things he likes doing.  Doing any type of martial arts training is going to severely cut into his time.  So what does he give up?  He's not going to give up anything on the rare chance that he'll encounter a foe that the FF can't beat unless the Thing knows some rare fighting move.  As ex-military, the Thing already knows the basics of fighting anyway,

The same thing can be said for most other strong characters.  Plus, once you are that powerful, like 99% of fights are going to be ended anyway without one having extensive training.  And if the foe really is all that powerful, again these guys are often members of a team.  Does it really make sense to spend a lot of your time training to fight for that 1% of the time when having Iron Man show up leads to the foe's defeat anyway?  Wonder Man, for example, has been portrayed as someone not really comfortable with action.  He was simply an industrialist who embezzled and got conned into Zemo's power ray machine, and keeps sliding off towards some kind of career in Hollywood.  Not someone who views training as fun.

I'm sure most heroes have gotten the basics of self defense and fighting at one point or another.  It's almost a given that if you're on the Avengers at same time during Captain America, he's going to give you a few pointers.  Likewise, I think all the students at Xavier's School get trained as part of their studies as well as lots of time in the Danger Room.  But I think most characters who are not the "fighting masters" type, are content with what they have and have more important things to do (in their mind) than try to master fighting skills that may be of use for 1% of the time.

Now could someone create a physical type and make them really interested in learning how to fight better?  Yes, but not too many of those characters are going to be interesting to read about because there is a whiff of Mary Sue about them.  I can think of at least one - Champion the Elder of the Universe, but the Elders always have a weird obsession.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

Ben was also in the Military so he should also have a good bit of hand to hand training. Not to mention being in more than his share of street brawls. Learning by doing.

Eric Joseph Hernandez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'd been wanting to ask peple more familiar with Ben, how they'd envision him moving.  I enjoy playing as him, and I know liberties were taken on how far he'd be able to jump, or being able to do low kicks.    Has he ever rolled into a ball or rolled to knock someone off thier feet?  Do you think Ben would move something like this other than the jumping and rolling ball attack?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FqbIj26r0

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2008 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh man, that was hilarious. WW pulls off a 34 hit attack and still can't pull off the upset.

I think WW moves exactly like I envision. I think Ben might move slightly slower but more fluidly than most enemies think, especially in throwing combinations. I imagine he gets in trouble from slower reaction time than an animal-fast Hulk.

David Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2008 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

Ben has a knowledge of Boxing, at least.  He made it three rounds with the Champion, within the rules.  Which no other hero managed to do.

How exactly does a person with super strength train?  Who can stand up to his "moves"?  Do those moves work at the super level?  A judo throw is nice.. but if you're unable to follow it up... well then so what?  He'll just trudge back and beat on you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version